CCTV/PVR system specs

KK

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,uk.comp.homebuilt (More info?)

friend of mine wants to set up a cctv system. Rather than use a time lapse
recorder which tend to be unreliable I feel that using a PC / PVR to act as
a time lapse system would be the better option.

His current pc system is out of date, and so would need replacing, the
question is:

Is it better to have

a) one pc for general use and one pc for CCTV recording - and network them.
If so what specs would people recommend for both systems?

or

b) One more powerful pc that can cope with recording cctv - and general use
at the same time? Is so, what spec should this system be?

General use is: Internet and Word - although he has just bought a digital
camera!!!

gary

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

"kk" <ww@ww.com> wrote in message
> friend of mine wants to set up a cctv system. Rather than use a time lapse
> recorder which tend to be unreliable I feel that using a PC / PVR to act
as
> a time lapse system would be the better option.

> a) one pc for general use and one pc for CCTV recording - and network
them.
> If so what specs would people recommend for both systems?

If it's intended for serious CCTV use, then a separate PC should be used.

But see the DVR here, just add a hard drive, no need for a separate PC
http://tinyurl.com/33ra8

As for the spec. of a suitable PC/PVR combination, check the minimum
requirements for the PVR.

HTH
Gary

Dave

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2003
Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,uk.comp.homebuilt (More info?)

http://www.cctvforum.com/index.php

Go to the DVR Cards and Software section.