CCTV/PVR system specs

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,uk.comp.homebuilt (More info?)

friend of mine wants to set up a cctv system. Rather than use a time lapse
recorder which tend to be unreliable I feel that using a PC / PVR to act as
a time lapse system would be the better option.

His current pc system is out of date, and so would need replacing, the
question is:

Is it better to have

a) one pc for general use and one pc for CCTV recording - and network them.
If so what specs would people recommend for both systems?

or

b) One more powerful pc that can cope with recording cctv - and general use
at the same time? Is so, what spec should this system be?

General use is: Internet and Word - although he has just bought a digital
camera!!!
2 answers Last reply
More about cctv system specs
  1. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,uk.comp.homebuilt (More info?)

    "kk" <ww@ww.com> wrote in message
    > friend of mine wants to set up a cctv system. Rather than use a time lapse
    > recorder which tend to be unreliable I feel that using a PC / PVR to act
    as
    > a time lapse system would be the better option.

    > a) one pc for general use and one pc for CCTV recording - and network
    them.
    > If so what specs would people recommend for both systems?

    If it's intended for serious CCTV use, then a separate PC should be used.

    But see the DVR here, just add a hard drive, no need for a separate PC
    http://tinyurl.com/33ra8

    As for the spec. of a suitable PC/PVR combination, check the minimum
    requirements for the PVR.

    HTH
    Gary
  2. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,uk.comp.homebuilt (More info?)

    http://www.cctvforum.com/index.php

    Go to the DVR Cards and Software section.

    "kk" <ww@ww.com> wrote in message
    > friend of mine wants to set up a cctv system. Rather than use a time lapse
    > recorder which tend to be unreliable I feel that using a PC / PVR to act
    as
    > a time lapse system would be the better option.
    >
    > His current pc system is out of date, and so would need replacing, the
    > question is:
    >
    > Is it better to have
    >
    > a) one pc for general use and one pc for CCTV recording - and network
    them.
    > If so what specs would people recommend for both systems?
    >
    > or
    >
    > b) One more powerful pc that can cope with recording cctv - and general
    use
    > at the same time? Is so, what spec should this system be?
    >
    > General use is: Internet and Word - although he has just bought a digital
    > camera!!!

Homebuilt Hardware Systems