Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Windows Vista 64 bit upgrade to Windows 7 Family Pack

Last response: in Windows 7
February 28, 2011 1:40:07 AM

I currently run Windows Vista 64bit on a desktop, which I intend to upgrade to Windows 7 with the family pack. However I'm concerned I won't keep the 64bit OS when Windows 7 is installed. Does anyone know the family pack Windows 7 would install the 64 bit OS?

Also, I'm a bit concerned about upgrading to Win 7 since some Windows Vista updates referring to .NET are not installing properly. I've spent a couple hours trying to uninstall and reinstall .NET components and get the updates to install unsuccessfully. Would there be issues with .NET framework when upgrading to Windows 7 if the below updates won't install?

- Microsoft .NET framework 3.5 SP 1 and .NET framework 3.5 family update (KB951847)
- Security update for Microsoft .NET framework 3.5 SP1 on Windows Vista (KB 2416473)
- Security update for Microsoft .NET framework 3.5, Windows Vista SP1 (KB2416469)

I'm wondering if it's worth spending more hours trying to fix the .NET framework within Vista or if I should go ahead with a Windows 7 upgrade anyway w/o fixing it.
a b $ Windows 7
February 28, 2011 1:55:29 AM

Forester30 said:
I currently run Windows Vista 64bit on a desktop, which I intend to upgrade to Windows 7 with the family pack. However I'm concerned I won't keep the 64bit OS when Windows 7 is installed. Does anyone know the family pack Windows 7 would install the 64 bit OS?

Also, I'm a bit concerned about upgrading to Win 7 since some Windows Vista updates referring to .NET are not installing properly. I've spent a couple hours trying to uninstall and reinstall .NET components and get the updates to install unsuccessfully. Would there be issues with .NET framework when upgrading to Windows 7 if the below updates won't install?

- Microsoft .NET framework 3.5 SP 1 and .NET framework 3.5 family update (KB951847)
- Security update for Microsoft .NET framework 3.5 SP1 on Windows Vista (KB 2416473)
- Security update for Microsoft .NET framework 3.5, Windows Vista SP1 (KB2416469)

I'm wondering if it's worth spending more hours trying to fix the .NET framework within Vista or if I should go ahead with a Windows 7 upgrade anyway w/o fixing it.

My family pack came with both 64 and 32 bit. It should be as easy as selecting which disc you want to use.
I've had no problems with any .NET upgrades and service packs. I don't think its worth staying on vista, there's no reason not to upgrade to win7. I say go for it and enjoy.

I believe vista has an easy transfer similar to win7, if so I recommend utilizing that.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
February 28, 2011 4:42:49 AM

Clean install is usually recommended... especially if your current install is having issues.
m
l
Related resources
February 28, 2011 9:17:35 AM

Zoron, when you say clean install, do I need to first perform a clean Vista install, then the Win 7 upgrade? Or can you install a clean version of Win 7 from the family pack?
m
l

Best solution

a b $ Windows 7
February 28, 2011 2:16:25 PM

Windows 7 family pack has an upgrade product code.
If you are upgrading from vista 64 bit, boot into vista 64 bit, and run the w7 64 bit dvd install.
Of course, you should have protected yourself by backing up anything critical.
At the end of the process, all the old stuff will be found in windows.old which you can safely delete, freeing up a bunch of space.

If you are upgrading from a 32 bit vista, to 64 bit w7, the process described above is not possible.
In that case, boot from the dvd, and do a clean install. I am not certain, but the clean install should activate because the old os should have been detected.
If it doesn't activate because W7 could not detect that you did an upgrade don't worry. You have a valid 64 bit w7 for 30 days.
Just follow the first process and boot from w7, and run the dvd install again.
March 6, 2011 11:15:51 PM

Thanks for the great responses everyone. I feel like I'll have my bases covered when the time comes to upgrade to Win 7.
m
l
March 6, 2011 11:16:25 PM

Best answer selected by Forester30.
m
l
!