Overheating CPU Athlon 133 at 80 degrees?

Hi,

I've scanned the newsgroups but have found conflicting answers to the
question regarding cpu temps.

I'm running mbm5 to monitor the temp of my athlon 1.33ghz - it's been
crashing alot recently, no blue screens, but when i try to play games
it frequently resets back to windows or completey reboots the os.

case temp is 27deg C, CPU temp at bios is 67C and after 1 hour playing
a DVD is 80C.

Is the high temp responsible for the crashing and rebooting - and is
it bad?

Thanks

Jeff.

Stacey

mods wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I've scanned the newsgroups but have found conflicting answers to the
> question regarding cpu temps.
>

> I'm running mbm5 to monitor the temp of my athlon 1.33ghz - it's been
> crashing alot recently, no blue screens, but when i try to play games
> it frequently resets back to windows or completey reboots the os.
>
> case temp is 27deg C, CPU temp at bios is 67C and after 1 hour playing
> a DVD is 80C.

That's way too high IMHO. It should be more like 40-45 on boot and 60-65
after use.

--

Stacey

80C will eventually, actually rather quickly, destroy the CPU. And yes,
that's why the system is crashing.

--
DaveW

On Mon, 31 May 2004 18:24:30 -0400, Stacey <fotocord@yahoo.com> wrote:

>mods wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I've scanned the newsgroups but have found conflicting answers to the
>> question regarding cpu temps.
>>

>> I'm running mbm5 to monitor the temp of my athlon 1.33ghz - it's been
>> crashing alot recently, no blue screens, but when i try to play games
>> it frequently resets back to windows or completey reboots the os.
>>
>> case temp is 27deg C, CPU temp at bios is 67C and after 1 hour playing
>> a DVD is 80C.
>>

> That's way too high IMHO. It should be more like 40-45 on boot and 60-65
>after use.

Hi Stacey.

Is it still the case that to get real *conservative* temp estimates
for a Athlon thunderbird you should add on 15-20 deg C (due to the
old thunderbird's temps being measured by a thermistor pressed against
the underside of the chip, rather than using an on-chip thermistor)
???

Best,

Vic.

"mods" <mods@scrumv.com> wrote in message

" Is the high temp responsible for the crashing and rebooting - and is it
bad? "

Definitely. The case temp of 27C sounds quite reasonable, so I'm guessing
the problem is more the CPU HSF combination than anything else.

1) Remove the heatsink and fan
2) Remove the CPU and clean off the thermal compund
3) Remove the fan from the heatsink
4) clean the dust from the heatsink
5) lightly vaccuum the fan in the direction it blows air
6) Re-seat the CPU and re-apply thermal compound
7) Re-seat the HSF, remembering to plug the fan in

If the higher part of your case is constantly hot, without much in the way
of air exhaust, then you could get one of these:
http://www.evercool.com.tw/products/pcac.htm

On Mon, 31 May 2004 15:01:25 -0700, mods wrote:

> I'm running mbm5 to monitor the temp of my athlon 1.33ghz - it's been
> crashing alot recently, no blue screens, but when i try to play games
> it frequently resets back to windows or completey reboots the os.
>
> case temp is 27deg C, CPU temp at bios is 67C and after 1 hour playing
> a DVD is 80C.
>
> Is the high temp responsible for the crashing and rebooting - and is
> it bad?

Yes, it's too hot. Way too hot. Should be under 60C with a decent cooler
even under extreme load. Case temp is fine. What cooler do you have? You
may just not have it on correct.

mods@scrumv.com (mods) said:

> I'm running mbm5 to monitor the temp of my athlon 1.33ghz - it's been
> crashing alot recently, no blue screens, but when i try to play games
> it frequently resets back to windows or completey reboots the os.

Which games? Games tend to work the CPU very hard causing it to heat up.

> case temp is 27deg C, CPU temp at bios is 67C and after 1 hour playing
> a DVD is 80C.
>
> Is the high temp responsible for the crashing and rebooting - and is
> it bad?

Yes and yes. Definitely check the airflow into and out of the case, but if
your case is 27c and your CPU is 80c and there are no obstructions to your
CPU fan then your heat sink probably needs to be reseated. Follow Spodo's
instructions.
--
Mac Cool

mods wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've scanned the newsgroups but have found conflicting answers to the
> question regarding cpu temps.
>

> I'm running mbm5 to monitor the temp of my athlon 1.33ghz - it's been
> crashing alot recently, no blue screens, but when i try to play games
> it frequently resets back to windows or completey reboots the os.
>
> case temp is 27deg C, CPU temp at bios is 67C and after 1 hour playing
> a DVD is 80C.
>
> Is the high temp responsible for the crashing and rebooting - and is
> it bad?
>
> Thanks
>
> Jeff.

1. when it reboots, go to bios and check the temps there. MBM5 is great,
but it's a good idea to confirm with the BIOS temp readings before
trying to fix something that may not be broken.

2. If the BIOS agrees, then the temp is too high. This could be a for a
variety of reasons:

- A cable is obstructing CPU fan air intake
- Airflow over the CPU is being obstructed or diverted by either
cables, dust, or a bad PSU or case fan.
- The computer has been bumped a bit too hard, and the thermal
compoiund between the CPU and the heat sink has been disrupted and
requires cleaning and reapplication. A brief description of how to do
this can be found here:

http://groups.google.com.au/groups?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&c2coff=1&selm=xiN5b.83050%24bo1.65726%40news-server.bigpond.net.au

http://tinyurl.com/36zxo

There are many more useful descriptions in the archives for this news
group. Please let us know how this all goes.

HTH,

Ari

--
remove the underscores to unmung the email address...

Have you got a brick as a heatsink ? and maybe a battery operated 1.5
volt fan on it ?

We Live for the One we Die for the One wrote:
> Have you got a brick as a heatsink ? and maybe a battery operated 1.5
> volt fan on it ?

Sober up.

--
remove the underscores to unmung the email address...