Small form factor computers

Anybody here own a SFF.... small form factor computer?

If yes...Im curious if they use standard parts such as hard drives and
optical drives and memory

<me6@privacy.net> wrote in message
> Anybody here own a SFF.... small form factor computer?
>
> If yes...Im curious if they use standard parts such as hard drives and
> optical drives and memory

Don't own one, but I'm getting ready to build one based on a biostar kit for
a friend. They use standard hard drive, optical drive, memory and CPU, as
well as standard video cards and expansion cards. The ony thing
non-standard is the mainboard and (in some cases) the CPU cooler. You might
also find some with non-standard power supplies.

IF you go that route, choose a SFF system with as much built-in stuff as
possible. While the SFF use standard parts, they are so small that they
can't fit much. For example, you will be lucky to get one AGP slot and one
PCI slot and one bay for one standard optical drive. I've read some models
can fit two hard drives, but I wouldn't plan to install more than ONE hard
drive in an SFF system, even if it's possible, due to extra heat and airflow
problems that would create. So whatever features you need in your system,
try to find an SFF that includes as many of them as possible, as you might
be limited in adding new features (internally, anyway) later.

But they are just a tad more expensive to build than a desktop, while still
being semi-portable (most have optional carrying cases) and offering more
upgrade potential than a notebook. -Dave

>Don't own one, but I'm getting ready to build one based on a biostar kit for
>a friend.

Which Biostar model will you use? Is it Intel based? Will you buy it
from NewEgg?

>IF you go that route, choose a SFF system with as much built-in stuff as
>possible. While the SFF use standard parts, they are so small that they
>can't fit much. For example, you will be lucky to get one AGP slot and one

Good idea on getting as much built into motherboard as possible

> >Don't own one, but I'm getting ready to build one based on a biostar kit
for
> >a friend.
>
> Which Biostar model will you use? Is it Intel based? Will you buy it
> from NewEgg?

I'm probably going to go with the following model for my build, but the
black version of it. I particularly like the nforce2 chipset with xp
processors, which is why I'm leaning toward that model. But biostar makes
several SFF systems for Intel P4 processors, with either Intel 865 or SIS
651 chipsets. I haven't looked to see what Newegg has available. I buy
most of my components from www.mwave.com BTW, if you do decide to build
SFF, you might want to look for a compact keyboard to go with it. mwave
sells one (harman?) in black for less than twenty bucks. One of the nice
things about the SFF is the portability. I can't imagine carrying a
full-size keyboard with one would be much fun though. -Dave

http://www.biostar-usa.com/ideqdetails.asp?model=ideq+200nb

> I'm a college prof and noticed that when I surveyed
>my students this year more than half of them had notebooks.

Is there some REAL reason to have a laptop while in class itself? In
your opinion that is?

Pete

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2001

"Dave C." <mdupre@sff.net> wrote in message

> <me6@privacy.net> wrote in message
> > Anybody here own a SFF.... small form factor computer?
> >
> > If yes...Im curious if they use standard parts such as hard drives and
> > optical drives and memory
>
> Don't own one, but I'm getting ready to build one based on a biostar kit
for
> a friend. They use standard hard drive, optical drive, memory and CPU, as
> well as standard video cards and expansion cards. The ony thing
> non-standard is the mainboard and (in some cases) the CPU cooler. You
might
> also find some with non-standard power supplies.
>
> IF you go that route, choose a SFF system with as much built-in stuff as
> possible. While the SFF use standard parts, they are so small that they
> can't fit much. For example, you will be lucky to get one AGP slot and
one
> PCI slot and one bay for one standard optical drive. I've read some
models
> can fit two hard drives, but I wouldn't plan to install more than ONE hard
> drive in an SFF system, even if it's possible, due to extra heat and
airflow
> problems that would create. So whatever features you need in your system,
> try to find an SFF that includes as many of them as possible, as you might
> be limited in adding new features (internally, anyway) later.
>
> But they are just a tad more expensive to build than a desktop, while
still
> being semi-portable (most have optional carrying cases) and offering more
> upgrade potential than a notebook. -Dave

Try this site for more info:

http://www.mini-itx.com/

Hope it gives you some answers

Pete

mark

Check out:

http://www.marksmusiccomputers.com

for one example system. Mainboard has standard 2 IDE channels, but the case
used only has room for one laptop HD and one slimline CD. One DIMM slot,
but you can get up to 1 gig sticks, so that shouldn't limit you drastically.

pix include closeup of rear panel..

HTH.

me6@privacy.net wrote:
>>I'm a college prof and noticed that when I surveyed
>>my students this year more than half of them had notebooks.
>

> Is there some REAL reason to have a laptop while in class itself? In
> your opinion that is?

In general I *don't* want my students to bring their notebooks to class.
When you have technology there you are using it and not paying
attention. OTOH in my web class one of my very best students brought
his PDA with portable keyboard to class and took notes with it. But
when a student has a configuration problem or some strange happenings on
their computer it's really easy to diagnose if they can bring it to my
office rather than trying to give them tech support via IM.

OTOH with a notebook they can take it to the library or to a friend's
room or apartment. In my daughter;s case she bought a wireless access
point for 10 or 20 dollars on black friday and can sit at her desk with
her notebook or on her bed or in the kitchen of her apartment and still
be connected. And notebooks in general have plenty of horsepower --
unless you play certain types of games or collect bazillions of MP3's or
movies or do video editing. And right now for less than 1000 you can
get a 2+ gh celeron and 256 megs/30 gigs/ dvd/cdrw combo/14" screen
which is basically enough for almost any student to do school work.

dick

>In general I *don't* want my students to bring their notebooks to class.
> When you have technology there you are using it and not paying
>attention. OTOH in my web class one of my very best students brought
>his PDA with portable keyboard to class and took notes with it. But
>when a student has a configuration problem or some strange happenings on
>their computer it's really easy to diagnose if they can bring it to my
>office rather than trying to give them tech support via IM.
>
>OTOH with a notebook they can take it to the library or to a friend's
>room or apartment. In my daughter;s case she bought a wireless access
>point for 10 or 20 dollars on black friday and can sit at her desk with
>her notebook or on her bed or in the kitchen of her apartment and still
>be connected. And notebooks in general have plenty of horsepower --
>unless you play certain types of games or collect bazillions of MP3's or
>movies or do video editing. And right now for less than 1000 you can
>get a 2+ gh celeron and 256 megs/30 gigs/ dvd/cdrw combo/14" screen
>which is basically enough for almost any student to do school work.

OK Dick... thanks

Im sorta "ambivalent" abt him having a laptop as well. On one hand I
can see good things abt it such as being able to use it in the library
or use it with wireless access point.

And on other hand Im like you in that Im worried it will get lost or
stolen..... or "distract" him in class