Dual Boot: XP and 98SE

Hello!

My son and I have set up his PC with both 98SE and XP with the "dual
boot" option. We did this to make sure that XP would run some of his
older games like Total Annihilation: Kingdoms, for example. And it
does!

So, now we want to know what will happen if we deleted all of the 98SE
system files? Will XP even boot the PC?

Faustus

Dave King -- Faustus
HomePage | http://home.earthlink.net/~davidkinghsd/index.html
ICQ : 329002

On Wed, 02 Jun 2004 23:19:17 GMT As another one bit the dust Faustus
<davidkinghsdSPAMAWAY@earthlink.net> wrote :

>Hello!
>
>My son and I have set up his PC with both 98SE and XP with the "dual
>boot" option. We did this to make sure that XP would run some of his
>older games like Total Annihilation: Kingdoms, for example. And it
>does!
>
>So, now we want to know what will happen if we deleted all of the 98SE
>system files? Will XP even boot the PC?

No.

--
Free Windows/PC help,
email shepATpartyheld.de

Shep© wrote:
> On Wed, 02 Jun 2004 23:19:17 GMT As another one bit the dust Faustus
> <davidkinghsdSPAMAWAY@earthlink.net> wrote :
>

>>Hello!
>>
>>My son and I have set up his PC with both 98SE and XP with the "dual
>>boot" option. We did this to make sure that XP would run some of his
>>older games like Total Annihilation: Kingdoms, for example. And it
>>does!
>>
>>So, now we want to know what will happen if we deleted all of the 98SE
>>system files? Will XP even boot the PC?
>

> No.

If you're careful about how you remove the 98se files then things will
be OK. You probably have the Windows bootmanager on your system. All
you need to do is set the configuration file to go directly to XP and
then judiciously remove the unneeded 98 files.

dick

Hawk

Yes, BUT. Be sure to copy these files from the "C" drive root
directory to a floppy formatted from within WinXP: boot.ini,
bootsect.dos, ntdetect.com and ntldr. And just delete the Win98 files
and folders, don't format "C" unless you want to go through a
"fixboot" procedure. Make sure these files are still in "C" root. You
can edit boot.ini to have no delay before booting to WinXP, or maybe
even boot directly to WinXP without any choice as to which OS to boot.
If something goes awry, use the floppy to boot your computer to WinXP.

hawk