Win98Se doesn't see DVD

Here's the problem, I'm recycling an old Dell XPS200 & XPS266 system for
work usage and all worked well with the 200 including a installed DVD drive.
So I pulled the old MB and installed the XPS266 MB and the problem is
Win98Se doesn't see the DVD drive if installed on IDE 0 or IDE 1. Cables and
jumpers are correct. It's present in the BIOS on boot up. If I use the
WIN98SE recovery disk the DVD drive is present but if I run setup off the
wins98se CD it states win is required. I even tried a new DVD drive. I set
the BIOS to boot from the DVD but it bypasses it and boots from the HD. What
am I missing on getting this old system going again?

Thanks
2 answers Last reply
More about win98se doesn

    "Woodchuck" <stv_euroski@yahoo.comXXX> wrote in message
    > Here's the problem, I'm recycling an old Dell XPS200 & XPS266 system for
    > work usage and all worked well with the 200 including a installed DVD
    drive.
    > So I pulled the old MB and installed the XPS266 MB and the problem is
    > Win98Se doesn't see the DVD drive if installed on IDE 0 or IDE 1. Cables
    and
    > jumpers are correct. It's present in the BIOS on boot up. If I use the
    > WIN98SE recovery disk the DVD drive is present but if I run setup off the
    > wins98se CD it states win is required. I even tried a new DVD drive. I set
    > the BIOS to boot from the DVD but it bypasses it and boots from the HD.
    What
    > am I missing on getting this old system going again?
    >
    > Thanks

    Bios and win setup recognize the drive, as no chipset driver is required
    then. If you simply swapped the mainboard without formatting the hard
    drive, THAT is your problem. Basically, windows doesn't see the drive as it
    isn't running the proper drivers to access the drive through the mainboard.
    You could try downloading and installing the latest motherboard drivers from
    dell or whoever made the motherboard. If that works, great. I suspect you
    will have to format the drive and start over from scratch, though. -Dave

    On Sat, 5 Jun 2004 14:11:33 -0400 As another one bit the dust
    "Woodchuck" <stv_euroski@yahoo.comXXX> wrote :

    >Here's the problem, I'm recycling an old Dell XPS200 & XPS266 system for
    >work usage and all worked well with the 200 including a installed DVD drive.
    >So I pulled the old MB and installed the XPS266 MB and the problem is
    >Win98Se doesn't see the DVD drive if installed on IDE 0 or IDE 1. Cables and
    >jumpers are correct. It's present in the BIOS on boot up. If I use the
    >WIN98SE recovery disk the DVD drive is present but if I run setup off the
    >wins98se CD it states win is required. I even tried a new DVD drive. I set
    >the BIOS to boot from the DVD but it bypasses it and boots from the HD. What
    >am I missing on getting this old system going again?
    >
    >Thanks

    Check the DVD maker's site's FAQS?
    Also here,
    http://www.geocities.com/sheppola/hard.html