Qtec Power Units - Any Good?

Hi,

I'm looking at the Qtec 400W Big Fan Power unit
http://www.qtec.info/products/product.htm?artnr=13980

Which I've found for £22, which appears a very low price for such a quiet
power unit.

Anyone had any experience with Qtec?

Is it likely to blow up in a puff of blue smoke?

Is it really as quiet as the makers claim (26dB)?

Thanks
Adam S

steveh

"Adam Strawson" <Adam.TINOFSPAM.Strawson@btinternet.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I'm looking at the Qtec 400W Big Fan Power unit
> http://www.qtec.info/products/product.htm?artnr=13980
>
> Which I've found for £22, which appears a very low price for such a quiet
> power unit.
>
> Anyone had any experience with Qtec?
>
> Is it likely to blow up in a puff of blue smoke?
>
> Is it really as quiet as the makers claim (26dB)?
>
> Thanks
> Adam S

I wouldn't touch one with a 10ft disinfected barge pole!!
Have a look back though old posts on this and other pc homebuilt groups, you
should be able to see what I mean.
I've found with PSU's, you very much get what you pay for, and decent
quality comes at a price. I don't think I've ever spent less than £40 on a
PSU, and I've yet to have one go bad on me.

SteveH

"Adam Strawson" <Adam.TINOFSPAM.Strawson@btinternet.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I'm looking at the Qtec 400W Big Fan Power unit
> http://www.qtec.info/products/product.htm?artnr=13980
>
> Which I've found for £22, which appears a very low price for such a quiet
> power unit.
>
> Anyone had any experience with Qtec?
>
> Is it likely to blow up in a puff of blue smoke?
>
> Is it really as quiet as the makers claim (26dB)?
>
> Thanks
> Adam S

Spend the £118 at Overclockers.co.uk and get an Antec 550W PSU. Don't try to
save money on a shitty power supply...spend on quality!

> > Hi,
> >
> > I'm looking at the Qtec 400W Big Fan Power unit
> > http://www.qtec.info/products/product.htm?artnr=13980
> >
> > Which I've found for £22, which appears a very low price for such a
quiet
> > power unit.
> >
> > Anyone had any experience with Qtec?
> >
> > Is it likely to blow up in a puff of blue smoke?
> >
> > Is it really as quiet as the makers claim (26dB)?
> >
> > Thanks
> > Adam S
> >
> I wouldn't touch one with a 10ft disinfected barge pole!!
> Have a look back though old posts on this and other pc homebuilt groups,
you
> should be able to see what I mean.
> I've found with PSU's, you very much get what you pay for, and decent
> quality comes at a price. I don't think I've ever spent less than £40 on a
> PSU, and I've yet to have one go bad on me.
>
> SteveH

Lots of post about the QTec units, most of them are negative.

I have only ever brought one seperate power unit, (needed one with the extra
four pin plug for Pentium 4 motherboard), I have always used the ones that
are fitted in the case without any problems. I was looking to replace the
one in my home PC as the fan noise from it does bug me a bit, having said
that its been in there for the past 5 years without any problems, so I'm
sure I can stick it for a while longer. It is the original 300w unit that
came with the £28 case!

Thanks for your reply.
Adam S

> > I'm looking at the Qtec 400W Big Fan Power unit
> > http://www.qtec.info/products/product.htm?artnr=13980
> >
> > Which I've found for £22, which appears a very low price for such a
quiet
> > power unit.
> >
> > Anyone had any experience with Qtec?
> >
> > Is it likely to blow up in a puff of blue smoke?
> >
> > Is it really as quiet as the makers claim (26dB)?
> >
> > Thanks
> > Adam S
> >

> Spend the £118 at Overclockers.co.uk and get an Antec 550W PSU. Don't try
> save money on a shitty power supply...spend on quality!

Hmm, if I had that kind of money I wouldn't be looking at the cheaper end of
the market.

I don't need a 550w power unit, I'm currently using a 300w one that came in
my cheap case, its been fine for the last 5 years, so going up to a 550w is
a bit of a pointless excercise. I was looking for quietness rather than more
power.

Adam S

They have an Antec 330W PSU...look:

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/acatalog/Online_Catalogue_Antec_103.html

It costs £43.42 shipped.

"Adam S" <as538nospam@eng.cam.ac.uk> wrote in message
> > > I'm looking at the Qtec 400W Big Fan Power unit
> > > http://www.qtec.info/products/product.htm?artnr=13980
> > >
> > > Which I've found for £22, which appears a very low price for such a
> quiet
> > > power unit.
> > >
> > > Anyone had any experience with Qtec?
> > >
> > > Is it likely to blow up in a puff of blue smoke?
> > >
> > > Is it really as quiet as the makers claim (26dB)?
> > >
> > > Thanks
> > > Adam S
> > >

> > Spend the £118 at Overclockers.co.uk and get an Antec 550W PSU. Don't
try
> > save money on a shitty power supply...spend on quality!
> >

> Hmm, if I had that kind of money I wouldn't be looking at the cheaper end
of
> the market.
>
> I don't need a 550w power unit, I'm currently using a 300w one that came
in
> my cheap case, its been fine for the last 5 years, so going up to a 550w
is
> a bit of a pointless excercise. I was looking for quietness rather than
more
> power.
>
> Adam S

"Adam S" <as538nospam@eng.cam.ac.uk> wrote in message

> I was looking for quietness rather than more power.

www.antec-inc.com

The Antec power supplies are very quiet, they have a thermal sensor that
automatically adjusts the fan speed according to the temperature inside the
case.

ken

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2004

On Mon, 7 Jun 2004 08:44:42 +0100, "Adam S"
<as538nospam@eng.cam.ac.uk> wrote:

> I don't need a 550w power unit, I'm currently using a 300w one that came in
> my cheap case, its been fine for the last 5 years, so going up to a 550w is
> a bit of a pointless excercise. I was looking for quietness rather than more
> power.

Big PSUs dont get that hot as the small PSUs do, and are quiter.

I have the 400w version and although it's working fine, it's not quiet by
any means.

I wouldn't have another one - my brother bought the 550w version and had
terrible problems with his PC until he replaced it.

Perhaps i've just been lucky. I'd go to quietpc.com and one of their
recommended products.

Leon.

"Adam Strawson" <Adam.TINOFSPAM.Strawson@btinternet.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I'm looking at the Qtec 400W Big Fan Power unit
> http://www.qtec.info/products/product.htm?artnr=13980
>
> Which I've found for £22, which appears a very low price for such a quiet
> power unit.
>
> Anyone had any experience with Qtec?
>
> Is it likely to blow up in a puff of blue smoke?
>
> Is it really as quiet as the makers claim (26dB)?
>
> Thanks
> Adam S

"Adam Strawson" <Adam.TINOFSPAM.Strawson@btinternet.com> wrote in message news:<c9vh01$kto$1@hercules.btinternet.com>...

> I'm looking at the Qtec 400W Big Fan Power unit
> http://www.qtec.info/products/product.htm?artnr=13980

Look at the insides of this 200W Q-tec:

www.bit-tech.net/images/review/123/7.jpg

Oops, I mean 550W Q-tec -- it just looks like a 200W PSU.

> Is it likely to blow up in a puff of blue smoke?

Only if you apply a load of more than 150-200W. Fortunately few computers do.

What other brands are available to you at low cost?