Set up WPA connection in advance

We are going to a court that has wireless network and they want us to
preconfigure our 5 laptops to fit in with their SSID, TKIP encryption and use
their network key with WPA.

Is there any way to set all of this up in advance without being near their
wireless system. Every time we try, we can't get WPA in the drop down box of
network authentication. Also when we do the wireless network wizard, we can
check the WPA box but we can't get much further.

We have sp2 for XP. We've tried to install wpa rollup patch but are told the
files on the computer are newer.

Please help, thanks

Clark

Distinguished
May 19, 2004

You might look at this that marc just found. I may be totally wrong, but we
appear to be in a transition period depending on what update certain devices
have.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;815485

Look under the Network Authentication where it may say OPEN. On my device,
the WEP selection is in a different box. I am certainly no expert at this,
but you may be able to set up a profile for this connection ahead of time.
You may need to update your Wireless card to be able to use it, check the
manufacturer to see.

Do you have the information, like the SSID already?

Clark

"LizW" <LizW@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> We are going to a court that has wireless network and they want us to
> preconfigure our 5 laptops to fit in with their SSID, TKIP encryption and
> use
> their network key with WPA.
>
> Is there any way to set all of this up in advance without being near their
> wireless system. Every time we try, we can't get WPA in the drop down box
> of
> network authentication. Also when we do the wireless network wizard, we
> can
> check the WPA box but we can't get much further.
>
> We have sp2 for XP. We've tried to install wpa rollup patch but are told
> the
> files on the computer are newer.
>
> Please help, thanks

Hi there

We have the SSID, but our only choices are Open or Shared in the box.

I think we have the capability of WPA because the wireless wizard offers a
checkbox for WPA but we aren't at the court yet so we can't seem to set it
up.

We would love to set up a profile.

Any ideas?

We

"Clark" wrote:

> You might look at this that marc just found. I may be totally wrong, but we
> appear to be in a transition period depending on what update certain devices
> have.
>
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;815485
>
> Look under the Network Authentication where it may say OPEN. On my device,
> the WEP selection is in a different box. I am certainly no expert at this,
> but you may be able to set up a profile for this connection ahead of time.
> You may need to update your Wireless card to be able to use it, check the
> manufacturer to see.
>
> Do you have the information, like the SSID already?
>
> Clark
>
> "LizW" <LizW@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > We are going to a court that has wireless network and they want us to
> > preconfigure our 5 laptops to fit in with their SSID, TKIP encryption and
> > use
> > their network key with WPA.
> >
> > Is there any way to set all of this up in advance without being near their
> > wireless system. Every time we try, we can't get WPA in the drop down box
> > of
> > network authentication. Also when we do the wireless network wizard, we
> > can
> > check the WPA box but we can't get much further.
> >
> > We have sp2 for XP. We've tried to install wpa rollup patch but are told
> > the
> > files on the computer are newer.
> >
> > Please help, thanks

Clark

Distinguished
May 19, 2004

Which wireless card do you have (make and model number)and I need any
revision numbers? If you know the version of the configuration utility and
firmware version, please post it. I will go to their website and get an
users manual to see if I can notice anything.

As far as WPA goes, it seems you have to be able to set the security prior
to accessing the network and I do believe you should have those choices
available if your device is capable.

> Hi there
>
> We have the SSID, but our only choices are Open or Shared in the box.
>
> I think we have the capability of WPA because the wireless wizard offers a
> checkbox for WPA but we aren't at the court yet so we can't seem to set it
> up.
>
> We would love to set up a profile.
>
> Any ideas?
>

> We
>
> "Clark" wrote:
>
>> You might look at this that marc just found. I may be totally wrong, but
>> we
>> appear to be in a transition period depending on what update certain
>> devices
>> have.
>>
>> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;815485
>>
>> Look under the Network Authentication where it may say OPEN. On my
>> device,
>> the WEP selection is in a different box. I am certainly no expert at
>> this,
>> but you may be able to set up a profile for this connection ahead of
>> time.
>> You may need to update your Wireless card to be able to use it, check the
>> manufacturer to see.
>>
>> Do you have the information, like the SSID already?
>>
>> Clark
>>
>> "LizW" <LizW@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > We are going to a court that has wireless network and they want us to
>> > preconfigure our 5 laptops to fit in with their SSID, TKIP encryption
>> > and
>> > use
>> > their network key with WPA.
>> >
>> > Is there any way to set all of this up in advance without being near
>> > their
>> > wireless system. Every time we try, we can't get WPA in the drop down
>> > box
>> > of
>> > network authentication. Also when we do the wireless network wizard, we
>> > can
>> > check the WPA box but we can't get much further.
>> >
>> > We have sp2 for XP. We've tried to install wpa rollup patch but are
>> > told
>> > the
>> > files on the computer are newer.
>> >
>> > Please help, thanks

Would you believe another law firm with a whole IT staff is calling us, two
people, to get info on how to configure their laptops for this trial? Anyway,
we have to set up this by tomorrow.

We have IBM Thinkpad T40s... the netword adaptor is Intel pro/wireless LAN
2100 3B Mini PCI Adaptor

The specs page for this model at IBM is

http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/document.do?sitestyle=ibm&lndocid=MIGR-58185

I don't know how to determine the other info...our wireless is built in and
not a card.

THanks so much for helping us!

"Clark" wrote:

> Which wireless card do you have (make and model number)and I need any
> revision numbers? If you know the version of the configuration utility and
> firmware version, please post it. I will go to their website and get an
> users manual to see if I can notice anything.
>
> As far as WPA goes, it seems you have to be able to set the security prior
> to accessing the network and I do believe you should have those choices
> available if your device is capable.
>
> Clark
>
> "LizW" <LizW@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hi there
> >
> > We have the SSID, but our only choices are Open or Shared in the box.
> >
> > I think we have the capability of WPA because the wireless wizard offers a
> > checkbox for WPA but we aren't at the court yet so we can't seem to set it
> > up.
> >
> > We would love to set up a profile.
> >
> > Any ideas?
> >

> > We
> >
> > "Clark" wrote:
> >
> >> You might look at this that marc just found. I may be totally wrong, but
> >> we
> >> appear to be in a transition period depending on what update certain
> >> devices
> >> have.
> >>
> >> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;815485
> >>
> >> Look under the Network Authentication where it may say OPEN. On my
> >> device,
> >> the WEP selection is in a different box. I am certainly no expert at
> >> this,
> >> but you may be able to set up a profile for this connection ahead of
> >> time.
> >> You may need to update your Wireless card to be able to use it, check the
> >> manufacturer to see.
> >>
> >> Do you have the information, like the SSID already?
> >>
> >> Clark
> >>
> >> "LizW" <LizW@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

This article may or may be of some help...

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/networking/learnmore/bowman_05june13.mspx

--

Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

benefit of all of us...
rights...

"LizW" <LizW@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> We are going to a court that has wireless network and they want us to
> preconfigure our 5 laptops to fit in with their SSID, TKIP encryption and
> use
> their network key with WPA.
>
> Is there any way to set all of this up in advance without being near their
> wireless system. Every time we try, we can't get WPA in the drop down box
> of
> network authentication. Also when we do the wireless network wizard, we
> can
> check the WPA box but we can't get much further.
>
> We have sp2 for XP. We've tried to install wpa rollup patch but are told
> the
> files on the computer are newer.
>
> Please help, thanks

Clark

Distinguished
May 19, 2004

You have the same wireless card as I. It is probably being controlled by
either the Intel ProSet utility or the Windows Wireless Controller (WZC)
I will go through setting up both types. If you have the settings for the
WAP I mention, you should be OK, but if you don't, you will probably have to
update your driver, or firmware, or configuration utiliity. I know
basically nothing about the WPA settings except they should be there.

I got my latest Intel PROSet directly from Intel and it is Version 7.1.4.0.
I have a Dell but did not use their version. IBM should have their latest
drivers.

If you are using the Intel PROSet utility, 0pen the ProSet manager and go to
Networks and Choose Add. Pick a Profile name, like Court and use the SSID
your have. Set up Infrastructure and then go to step 2.

Security settings, choose Network Authentication: WPA personal or
enterprise. I am not that familiar with WPA settings, but you should have
information or be able to check some reference. Date Encrption is probably
TPIK or whatever you have been given. 802.1x settings will also be up to
you since I don't know. Use the configure button to add special conditions.

Step 3 I don't really see anything, but you probably have that information.

If you are using the Microsoft WZC (if you can enter choices your are), go
to your wireless network connection under My Network places, right click and
choose properties. Right click on the Wireless Networks and select
properties - then go to Wireless Networks. Go down to Preferred networks
and Add a new one and enter the information you have. This is about the
same type setup as the ProSet. If you do find the WPA choices, you might
need to go to the court and ask someone there the exact settings.

Anyway, once you get the profiles set up, you should be able to log on when
you get to the court. You might have someone go over early with one
computer and check it so you could set the others up the same way.

> Would you believe another law firm with a whole IT staff is calling us,
> two
> people, to get info on how to configure their laptops for this trial?
> Anyway,
> we have to set up this by tomorrow.
>
> We have IBM Thinkpad T40s... the netword adaptor is Intel pro/wireless LAN
> 2100 3B Mini PCI Adaptor
>
> The specs page for this model at IBM is
>
> http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/document.do?sitestyle=ibm&lndocid=MIGR-58185
>
> I don't know how to determine the other info...our wireless is built in
> and
> not a card.
>
> THanks so much for helping us!
>
> "Clark" wrote:
>
>> Which wireless card do you have (make and model number)and I need any
>> revision numbers? If you know the version of the configuration utility
>> and
>> firmware version, please post it. I will go to their website and get an
>> users manual to see if I can notice anything.
>>
>> As far as WPA goes, it seems you have to be able to set the security
>> prior
>> to accessing the network and I do believe you should have those choices
>> available if your device is capable.
>>
>> Clark
>>
>> "LizW" <LizW@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Hi there
>> >
>> > We have the SSID, but our only choices are Open or Shared in the box.
>> >
>> > I think we have the capability of WPA because the wireless wizard
>> > offers a
>> > checkbox for WPA but we aren't at the court yet so we can't seem to set
>> > it
>> > up.
>> >
>> > We would love to set up a profile.
>> >
>> > Any ideas?
>> >

>> > We

Clark

Distinguished
May 19, 2004

If you need a new driver, you might check here:

http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/document.do?sitestyle=ibm&lndocid=MIGR-59438

Clark

"Clark" <who@whoknows.com> wrote in message
> [...]
>> 2100 3B Mini PCI Adaptor
>>
>> The specs page for this model at IBM is
>>
>> http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/document.do?sitestyle=ibm&lndocid=MIGR-58185
>>
>> I don't know how to determine the other info...our wireless is built in
>> and
>> not a card.
>>
>> THanks so much for helping us!
>>
>> "Clark" wrote:
>>
>>> Which wireless card do you have (make and model number)and I need any
>>> revision numbers? If you know the version of the configuration utility
>>> and
>>> firmware version, please post it. I will go to their website and get an
>>> users manual to see if I can notice anything.
>>>
>>> As far as WPA goes, it seems you have to be able to set the security
>>> prior
>>> to accessing the network and I do believe you should have those choices

Use the wireless wizard in XP SP2 to setup a dummy network with all
the specifications you need including SSID and WPA. Write the settings
to a USB Flash drive - then plug the USB Flash drive into the other
computers and follow the bouncing ball. I've written a couple of
columns that showcase this technology.

On Tue, 21 Jun 2005 14:51:03 -0700, "LizW"

--

Barb Bowman
MS Windows-MVP