Hard drive error! using Win 98 bootdisk will not boot

Last response: in Systems
a b B Homebuilt system
June 6, 2004 8:03:11 PM

I was fixing my friends computer, When I was formatng the c: drive and
running the windows set-up, we had power loss. When I reboted, I
can't view my c:. I have been reading for hours trying everything.
When i try to boot from CD I get an error has been detected. Then
after booting with thte boot disk, it said I have NTFS files on the
hard drive. I need to create a ms-dos boot partition...

Can any one help me please??? Nic

==============
a b B Homebuilt system
June 7, 2004 1:20:41 AM

On 6 Jun 2004 16:03:11 -0400 As another one bit the dust
nicatnite4@cox-dot-net.no-spam.invalid (nicatnite4) wrote :

>I was fixing my friends computer, When I was formatng the c: drive and
>running the windows set-up, we had power loss. When I reboted, I
>can't view my c:. I have been reading for hours trying everything.
>When i try to boot from CD I get an error has been detected. Then
>after booting with thte boot disk, it said I have NTFS files on the
>hard drive. I need to create a ms-dos boot partition...
>
>Can any one help me please??? Nic

Try pulling the power cord out and using the,"Clear Cmos" jumper?

--
Free Windows/PC help,
email shepATpartyheld.de

A Bootdisk for Fat32 or win98 can not read NTFS FILES. What kind of
file system was on the hard drive?

You might try downloading on another computer a utility from the drive
manufacturer to write zeros to the beginning or the entire drive.
Then you can probably reset the partition and then format. It might
be you can just delete the partitions and format the drive.

>I was fixing my friends computer, When I was formatng the c: drive and
>running the windows set-up, we had power loss. When I reboted, I
>can't view my c:. I have been reading for hours trying everything.
>When i try to boot from CD I get an error has been detected. Then
>after booting with thte boot disk, it said I have NTFS files on the
>hard drive. I need to create a ms-dos boot partition...
>
>Can any one help me please??? Nic
>
>==============
>Posted through www.HowToFixComputers.com/bb - free access to hardware troubleshooting newsgroups.
June 7, 2004 4:36:33 AM

"Shep©" <nospam@nospam.net> wrote in message
> On 6 Jun 2004 16:03:11 -0400 As another one bit the dust
> nicatnite4@cox-dot-net.no-spam.invalid (nicatnite4) wrote :
>
> >I was fixing my friends computer, When I was formatng the c: drive and
> >running the windows set-up, we had power loss. When I reboted, I
> >can't view my c:. I have been reading for hours trying everything.
> >When i try to boot from CD I get an error has been detected. Then
> >after booting with thte boot disk, it said I have NTFS files on the
> >hard drive. I need to create a ms-dos boot partition...
> >
> >Can any one help me please??? Nic
>
> Try pulling the power cord out and using the,"Clear Cmos" jumper?
>

> --
> Free Windows/PC help,
> email shepATpartyheld.de
> Free songs to download and,"BURN" :o )
> http://www.soundclick.com/bands/8/nomessiahsmusic.htm

Boot from Floppy drive and Fdisk the c: drive, delete any partitions that
are there and create a new primary partition

Restart the computer, boot from floppy again and format the c: drive.
Then when you try and boot from cd should be ok

Pete