AMD CPU temperture problem

Quentin

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2004

Ive been attempting to install Windows XP for days, and noticed each time
the installer crashed, my CPU temperature was around 85 - 90 degrees
celcius. I was pretty sure the installer crashes were due to a heat
problem, so I took the side casing off and put a house fan on full blast
that was only a few inches away from the computer. This allowed me to
install XP.

Now, I need to find a better solution. This CPU fan & heatsink is 1 year
old and Ive never had a problem in the past, so Im pretty confused how
this started to happen. I have a retail AMD 1.87 2200+ CPU with a stock
heatsink/fan. The fan still spins. The heatsink sits nicely on the CPU.
I just dont understand why its over heating.

Is there anything I can do besides cleaning any dust from the fan? I
suppose I could buy a new heatsink & fan but I find out hard to believe
this one would just stop doing its job. Anyone have any other ideas?

--
==============================================================qSiG2.0=
Quentin MacDougall Email/MSN Messenger: quentin@cs.dal.ca ICQ: 5798952

quentin@cs.dal.ca wrote:

> Ive been attempting to install Windows XP for days, and noticed each time
> the installer crashed, my CPU temperature was around 85 - 90 degrees
> celcius. I was pretty sure the installer crashes were due to a heat
> problem, so I took the side casing off and put a house fan on full blast
> that was only a few inches away from the computer. This allowed me to
> install XP.
>
> Now, I need to find a better solution. This CPU fan & heatsink is 1 year
> old and Ive never had a problem in the past, so Im pretty confused how
> this started to happen. I have a retail AMD 1.87 2200+ CPU with a stock
> heatsink/fan. The fan still spins. The heatsink sits nicely on the CPU.
> I just dont understand why its over heating.
>
> Is there anything I can do besides cleaning any dust from the fan? I
> suppose I could buy a new heatsink & fan but I find out hard to believe
> this one would just stop doing its job. Anyone have any other ideas?

90C is ridiculously hot. Are you sure that the heatsink is properly
installed? What heatsink compound are you using? If the heatsink
came with a thermal pad or compound already installed, did you remove
any plastic tape before installing the heatsink?

-WD

quentin@cs.dal.ca said:

> Ive been attempting to install Windows XP for days, and noticed each
> time the installer crashed, my CPU temperature was around 85 - 90
> degrees celcius. I was pretty sure the installer crashes were due to
> a heat problem, so I took the side casing off and put a house fan on
> full blast that was only a few inches away from the computer. This
> allowed me to install XP.

You are flirting with long term damage to the CPU.

> Now, I need to find a better solution. This CPU fan & heatsink is 1
> year old and Ive never had a problem in the past, so Im pretty
> confused how this started to happen.

Either something changed that you haven't mentioned (moved the case, case
was bumped, installed/uninstalled something, tried to overclock) or
something just quit working (fan, heatsink worked loose).

> Is there anything I can do besides cleaning any dust from the fan?
Similiar problem has been posted almost every day, check the other posts
about heat for good suggestions.
--
Mac Cool

What is reporting the temp?

I'm curious because my BIOS reports the temps of my Opteron 246s at 69 deg
each, which seems a bit high. They are boxed AMD retail versions, and the
system is brand new...

Even curiouser is that one of the fans is running at half speed, and the
temps are identical...

<quentin@cs.dal.ca> wrote...

quentin@cs.dal.ca wrote:
> Ive been attempting to install Windows XP for days, and noticed each time
> the installer crashed, my CPU temperature was around 85 - 90 degrees
> celcius. I was pretty sure the installer crashes were due to a heat
> problem, so I took the side casing off and put a house fan on full blast
> that was only a few inches away from the computer. This allowed me to
> install XP.
>
> Now, I need to find a better solution. This CPU fan & heatsink is 1 year
> old and Ive never had a problem in the past, so Im pretty confused how
> this started to happen. I have a retail AMD 1.87 2200+ CPU with a stock
> heatsink/fan. The fan still spins. The heatsink sits nicely on the CPU.
> I just dont understand why its over heating.
>
> Is there anything I can do besides cleaning any dust from the fan? I
> suppose I could buy a new heatsink & fan but I find out hard to believe
> this one would just stop doing its job. Anyone have any other ideas?
>
> --
> ==============================================================qSiG2.0=
> Quentin MacDougall Email/MSN Messenger: quentin@cs.dal.ca ICQ: 5798952
> Visit my personal website & photo gallery http://macdougall.homeip.net

Is your PSU fan still working? Do you have a rear case fan exhausting
the hot air? I find it difficult to believe that even without these
running efficiently, the CPU would be the only component to get that hot
with a properly installed HSF unit. The system temperature would be
going well up too if there were a problem with either of those other fans.

Where are you getting those numbers from? That is well hot enough to
cause the problems you describe, and I have experienced those as well:
the wire for the CPU fan was stuck in the blades, and it wasn't spinning.

I think it would be a good idea for you to have a good look at the CPU
fan. Is it not turning smoothly? When fans start to die, their RPMs drop
massively, and as such so does the amount of cooling air they can
circulate over the heat sink. This could casue those high temps. I've
had fans fail in the first week of use. I've had others that are over a
decade old and still going strong. Same thing with hard drives.

Failing this, I'd reseat the heat sink. Sometimes thermal compound
breaks down over time. Sometimes when a thermal pad is used and the
computer is jarred the interface is disrupted and heat dissipation is
adversely affected. Here's what I do for reapplying heat sinks:

http://tinyurl.com/36zxo

--
remove the underscores to unmung the email address...