Problem with USB 2.0 on A7N8X system

I built a new A7N8X-X system , OS is WIn XP Pro, I have SP1a installed. When
I turn on my Epson printer which has USB 2.0 conn, a message pops up saying
it is attempting to use a high-speed USB device on a low-speed USB port.
Low speed meaning USB1.0? I do know that
when the PC boots and shows the list of system resources installed, it lists
USB 2.0 as well as USB 1.0. However I am not sure what windows driver to
look for which would identify USB 2 support installed in WINDOWS. Since the
paper feed is screwed up on it right now, I haven't been able to test if its
actually working or not.

Jim Caldwell wrote:
> I built a new A7N8X-X system , OS is WIn XP Pro, I have SP1a installed. When
> I turn on my Epson printer which has USB 2.0 conn, a message pops up saying
> it is attempting to use a high-speed USB device on a low-speed USB port.
> Low speed meaning USB1.0? I do know that
> when the PC boots and shows the list of system resources installed, it lists
> USB 2.0 as well as USB 1.0. However I am not sure what windows driver to
> look for which would identify USB 2 support installed in WINDOWS. Since the
> paper feed is screwed up on it right now, I haven't been able to test if its
> actually working or not.

You only get that error message when you plug a USB 2.0 peripheral into
a USB 1.1 port.

How many USB Ports does your system have?
Have you tried plugging the printer into any of the others?
If so, do you get the same result?
Are all your USB ports provided by the motherboard?
If not, do you also have a PCI card with an additional USB Interface?

I've never heard of a motherboard that has both USB 1.1 and USB 2.0
interfaces so I don't think your PC would have both a USB 1.1 controller
and USB 2.0 controller on the same motherboard. It may be that the USB
chip has some kind of compability mode enabled which is limiting the
interface to 1.1 speeds.

--
Regards,

JasonB

<- To reply, please replace nospam4me with Blueyonder ->

JasonB wrote:

> Jim Caldwell wrote:
>
>> I built a new A7N8X-X system , OS is WIn XP Pro, I have SP1a
>> installed. When
>> I turn on my Epson printer which has USB 2.0 conn, a message pops up
>> saying
>> it is attempting to use a high-speed USB device on a low-speed USB port.
>> Low speed meaning USB1.0? I do know that
>> when the PC boots and shows the list of system resources installed, it
>> lists
>> USB 2.0 as well as USB 1.0. However I am not sure what windows driver to
>> look for which would identify USB 2 support installed in WINDOWS.
>> Since the
>> paper feed is screwed up on it right now, I haven't been able to test
>> if its
>> actually working or not.

<snip>

> It may be that the USB
> chip has some kind of compability mode enabled which is limiting the
> interface to 1.1 speeds.

Ooops! - Should have added the following....

Check your manual for the motherboard and find out what configuration
options are available for the USB interface, then check your BIOS
settings to make sure that the right settings are being used.

Hope this helps!

--
Regards,

JasonB

<- To reply, please replace nospam4me with Blueyonder ->

Oh yea.....I think there is a jumper setting on A7N8X board having to do
with USB....forgot about that. Thanks, very helpful ! Jim

JasonB wrote:
> Jim Caldwell wrote:
>> I built a new A7N8X-X system , OS is WIn XP Pro, I have SP1a
>> installed. When I turn on my Epson printer which has USB 2.0 conn,
>> a message pops up saying it is attempting to use a high-speed USB
>> device on a low-speed USB port. Low speed meaning USB1.0? I do know
>> that
>> when the PC boots and shows the list of system resources installed,
>> it lists USB 2.0 as well as USB 1.0. However I am not sure what
>> windows driver to look for which would identify USB 2 support
>> installed in WINDOWS. Since the paper feed is screwed up on it right
>> now, I haven't been able to test if its actually working or not.
>>

> You only get that error message when you plug a USB 2.0 peripheral
> into
> a USB 1.1 port.
>
> How many USB Ports does your system have?
> Have you tried plugging the printer into any of the others?
> If so, do you get the same result?
> Are all your USB ports provided by the motherboard?
> If not, do you also have a PCI card with an additional USB Interface?
>
> I've never heard of a motherboard that has both USB 1.1 and USB 2.0
> interfaces so I don't think your PC would have both a USB 1.1
> controller
> and USB 2.0 controller on the same motherboard. It may be that the
> USB
> chip has some kind of compability mode enabled which is limiting the
> interface to 1.1 speeds.

My Asus A7V333 has both USB 1.1 and USB 2.0, two ports of each on the back
panel and one header for each inside on the board. There is an enabling
jumper on the board for the USB 2 and settings in Bios for the USB 1.

Sorry, should have mentioned to make sure your proper chipset drivers are
installed to be sure your ports are set up correctly.