Startup problem...which part is to blame?

I successfully built my first PC last year without any trouble, and
now my brother has decided to trust me with assembling another one for
him. Unfortunately, this time I can't get the computer to boot. When
I turn it on, all that happens is that the fans start and the lights
come on in whatever parts I have connected. The POST code on the
motherboard is FF, which I assume is fine since that's what the
computer I'm using now is showing. I have yet to get the new project
to give me a single beep or display anything on monitors that I know
work.

Something's wrong, and I'm coming to accept that I may have to replace
a part. I just don't know which one. I can't think of anything I did
to damage the motherboard, but so far it seems to be the most likely
culprit.

If anyone can help me figure this out, I'd appreciate it. My
brother's gonna kill me...
5 answers Last reply
More about startup problem which part blame

    "Jim Smith" <jim_smith@livejournal.com> wrote in message
    > I successfully built my first PC last year without any trouble, and
    > now my brother has decided to trust me with assembling another one for
    > him. Unfortunately, this time I can't get the computer to boot. When
    > I turn it on, all that happens is that the fans start and the lights
    > come on in whatever parts I have connected. The POST code on the
    > motherboard is FF, which I assume is fine since that's what the
    > computer I'm using now is showing. I have yet to get the new project
    > to give me a single beep or display anything on monitors that I know
    > work.
    >
    > Something's wrong, and I'm coming to accept that I may have to replace
    > a part. I just don't know which one. I can't think of anything I did
    > to damage the motherboard, but so far it seems to be the most likely
    > culprit.
    >
    > If anyone can help me figure this out, I'd appreciate it. My
    > brother's gonna kill me...

    That is most likely the CPU or motherboard, in that order. What make/model
    motherboard? Which CPU? Is the HSF fan connected to the motherboard's cpu
    fan connector? Is that fan running? Can you hear the hard disk(s) spinning
    up eventually? IF SO, then that might point toward a video card or RAM
    problem. But if it was video card or RAM, your POST code would probably not
    be FF, and you'd probably get some kind of "beep" error, as well. No beep
    at all indicates to me that the CPU isn't even running POST. As the
    mainboard is giving FF as a post code, this looks suspiciously like a bad
    CPU. Or the CPU could just need to be reseated. Another possibility is a
    bad power supply, but that's less likely. Basically, the CPU looks for good
    power. If it sees power good, it attempts to run POST. During POST, your
    video card might be initialized (if it gets that far). But it sounds like
    you aren't even getting as far as the CPU starting POST. Most likely
    suspect at this point is CPU, I'm afraid. A real long shot . . . have you
    tried clearing CMOS settings on the mainboard? I don't think that will
    help, but it won't hurt. Good luck, -Dave

    On 9 Jun 2004 11:30:38 -0700, jim_smith@livejournal.com (Jim Smith)
    tortured a bunch of electrons for some unknown reason:

    >I successfully built my first PC last year without any trouble, and
    >now my brother has decided to trust me with assembling another one for
    >him. Unfortunately, this time I can't get the computer to boot. When
    >I turn it on, all that happens is that the fans start and the lights
    >come on in whatever parts I have connected. The POST code on the
    >motherboard is FF, which I assume is fine since that's what the
    >computer I'm using now is showing. I have yet to get the new project
    >to give me a single beep or display anything on monitors that I know
    >work.
    >
    >Something's wrong, and I'm coming to accept that I may have to replace
    >a part. I just don't know which one. I can't think of anything I did
    >to damage the motherboard, but so far it seems to be the most likely
    >culprit.
    >
    >If anyone can help me figure this out, I'd appreciate it. My
    >brother's gonna kill me...

    Motherboard could be shorted to the case by a misplaced post.
    CPU fan plugged into the wrong header.
    You don't have all the power connectors connected to the motherboard
    and/or video card.

    Stephen

    I had this problem and it was the power supply.
    Pin 8 has a power ready signal on it that is controlled
    by an RC cirucuit in the power supply. One of the
    guys in this group taught me all this a little while ago.

    The cpu looks there to see if it's ok to run the post.
    Some mobos are picky about this, and some aren't
    so picky. I swapped out a ps from an old P2 400
    system, and it booted the new system fine. The new
    ps booted the old P2 400 system fine, so I just
    swapped them.

    What was driving me crazy was the new ps, in
    the new system, that wouldn't boot, had all of
    the voltages on all of the pins within spec. It was
    just that the power ready signal on pin 8 was
    coming up a couple of thousands of a second
    too slow for the mobo, and I didn't know that.

    Just a thought, but it could be that simple.

    Alby

    jim_smith@livejournal.com (Jim Smith) said:

    > Unfortunately, this time I can't get the computer to boot.

    Just take it all apart and start over, being extra, extra careful that
    things are plugged in the right way, all the way, where they're supposed
    to be, etc.
    --
    Mac Cool

    Are the front power and reset switches connected right??

    --
    Tumppi
    Reply to group

    "Stephen" <stephen2002{NOSPAM}@lurker.homeip.net> kirjoitti viestissä
    > On 9 Jun 2004 11:30:38 -0700, jim_smith@livejournal.com (Jim Smith)
    > tortured a bunch of electrons for some unknown reason:
    >
    > >I successfully built my first PC last year without any trouble, and
    > >now my brother has decided to trust me with assembling another one for
    > >him. Unfortunately, this time I can't get the computer to boot. When
    > >I turn it on, all that happens is that the fans start and the lights
    > >come on in whatever parts I have connected. The POST code on the
    > >motherboard is FF, which I assume is fine since that's what the
    > >computer I'm using now is showing. I have yet to get the new project
    > >to give me a single beep or display anything on monitors that I know
    > >work.
    > >
    > >Something's wrong, and I'm coming to accept that I may have to replace
    > >a part. I just don't know which one. I can't think of anything I did
    > >to damage the motherboard, but so far it seems to be the most likely
    > >culprit.
    > >
    > >If anyone can help me figure this out, I'd appreciate it. My
    > >brother's gonna kill me...
    >
    > Motherboard could be shorted to the case by a misplaced post.
    > CPU fan plugged into the wrong header.
    > You don't have all the power connectors connected to the motherboard
    > and/or video card.
    >
    > Stephen

Homebuilt Systems