Home Network.

I just networked my two computers and all I can do is share the printers and
share files and the internet. I was told that I could also share programs
from one computer to the other without actually installing the program on
both computers. Is it possible to do this or have I been given bad
information? Can anybody help me?
--
Thank you have a great day and God Bless.
3 answers Last reply

    On Tue, 21 Jun 2005 20:15:03 -0700, Christen wrote:

    > I just networked my two computers and all I can do is share the printers and
    > share files and the internet. I was told that I could also share programs
    > from one computer to the other without actually installing the program on
    > both computers. Is it possible to do this or have I been given bad
    > information? Can anybody help me?

    You can only share programs if the program is designed as a network program
    (msword, excel, and most are not designed as network programs). Sometimes a
    simple program that does not install additional components or registry
    entries can be shared ocross the network.

    it may work with some simple programs. but if the program installs any
    components on the machine it probably won't work since the networked machine
    won't know where to find the other machine's components.

    "Christen" <Christen@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I just networked my two computers and all I can do is share the printers
    >and
    > share files and the internet. I was told that I could also share programs
    > from one computer to the other without actually installing the program on
    > both computers. Is it possible to do this or have I been given bad
    > information? Can anybody help me?
    > --
    > Thank you have a great day and God Bless.

    Thanks Dave and Bob for your answers. It is kind of strange that I have two
    brothers-in-law one named Dave and the other one is Bob. Anyway thanks for
    answering my question.
    --

    "BobC" wrote:

    > On Tue, 21 Jun 2005 20:15:03 -0700, Christen wrote:
    >
    > > I just networked my two computers and all I can do is share the printers and
    > > share files and the internet. I was told that I could also share programs
    > > from one computer to the other without actually installing the program on
    > > both computers. Is it possible to do this or have I been given bad
    > > information? Can anybody help me?
    >
    > You can only share programs if the program is designed as a network program
    > (msword, excel, and most are not designed as network programs). Sometimes a
    > simple program that does not install additional components or registry
    > entries can be shared ocross the network.

Computers Wireless Networking