Blown Multimeter

Hello, I have an old Hung Chang HM-102 BZ that blew while doing a
continuity test on a live current. The funny thing is the fuse
didn't blow. I could throw the thing away but being curious and the
hands on type I wanted to try and fix it. I've narrowed it down to
two diodes and a capacitor but don't have a schematic to confirm
this. Would anyone know where I could find a schematic of a
multimeter? Or even what else to look for in this? Thanks for your
help.

==============

On 11 Jun 2004 16:06:20 -0400, kacott@shaw-dot-ca.no-spam.invalid
(Kmano) wrote:

>Hello, I have an old Hung Chang HM-102 BZ that blew while doing a
>continuity test on a live current. The funny thing is the fuse
>didn't blow. I could throw the thing away but being curious and the
>hands on type I wanted to try and fix it. I've narrowed it down to
>two diodes and a capacitor but don't have a schematic to confirm
>this. Would anyone know where I could find a schematic of a
>multimeter? Or even what else to look for in this? Thanks for your
>help.

You probably cannot, ands those cheap Chinese meter aren't economical
to repair.

>==============
>Posted through www.HowToFixComputers.com/bb - free access to hardware troubleshooting newsgroups.

In article <40ca10bc$1_3@news.athenanews.com>, kacott@shaw-dot-ca.no-
spam.invalid says...
> Hello, I have an old Hung Chang HM-102 BZ that blew while doing a
> continuity test on a live current. The funny thing is the fuse
> didn't blow. I could throw the thing away but being curious and the
> hands on type I wanted to try and fix it. I've narrowed it down to
> two diodes and a capacitor but don't have a schematic to confirm
> this. Would anyone know where I could find a schematic of a
> multimeter? Or even what else to look for in this? Thanks for your
> help.

Change them anyway. Whats the costof a couple of diodes and a cap..$1?

--
Conor

I started with nothing and I still have most of it left.

> You probably cannot, ands those cheap Chinese meter aren't economical
> to repair.

Economic and possible are not the same. I'd just shotgun all three
components you named and see what happens. They should have some
marking on them.

Then, I'd give it to the kids, if you get it working, and go buy a
Fluke like you should have in the first place.

On Sat, 12 Jun 2004 09:50:49 -0400, Gary Tait
<classicsat@yahoo.cominvalid> wrote:

>On 11 Jun 2004 16:06:20 -0400, kacott@shaw-dot-ca.no-spam.invalid
>(Kmano) wrote:
>
>>Hello, I have an old Hung Chang HM-102 BZ that blew while doing a
>>continuity test on a live current. The funny thing is the fuse
>>didn't blow. I could throw the thing away but being curious and the
>>hands on type I wanted to try and fix it. I've narrowed it down to
>>two diodes and a capacitor but don't have a schematic to confirm
>>this. Would anyone know where I could find a schematic of a
>>multimeter? Or even what else to look for in this? Thanks for your
>>help.
>>

>You probably cannot, ands those cheap Chinese meter aren't economical
>to repair.
Right. You can get a dmm at Harbor Freight for as little as 3.99 us.