Motherboard Tray Dimples vs Brass Standoffs

I have ordered a case and it arrived with dimples - raised posts in
the motherboard tray. I have only built three systems in the past and
never had a case come with the dimples. All of the others had the
brass screw in standoffs.

I assume I screw the board directly to the dimples (they take the
place of the brass standoffs): Correct? Then I was wondering what the
proper way to shield the unused dimples from coming in contact with my
motherboard? My case came with 3 or 4 little plastic plugs that seem
to be for that purpose. What if I don't have enough of the plastic
plugs to fill all unused dimples? Is black electrical type
sufficient?

In your opinion is the design of dimples better or worse than the
screw in brass standoffs?

Thanks in advance...

Theodat

theodat@yahoo.com (Theodat) wrote:

>I have ordered a case and it arrived with dimples - raised posts in
>the motherboard tray. I have only built three systems in the past and
>never had a case come with the dimples. All of the others had the
>brass screw in standoffs.
>
>I assume I screw the board directly to the dimples (they take the
>place of the brass standoffs): Correct? Then I was wondering what the
>proper way to shield the unused dimples from coming in contact with my
>motherboard?

I used black electrical tape....

>My case came with 3 or 4 little plastic plugs that seem
>to be for that purpose. What if I don't have enough of the plastic
>plugs to fill all unused dimples? Is black electrical type
>sufficient?

So far good .. in a few years who know...

>In your opinion is the design of dimples better or worse than the
>screw in brass standoffs?

I prefer the standoffs.

>Thanks in advance...
>
>Theodat

David

In article <e440a00c.0406111900.60ece3c2@posting.google.com>, Theodat says...

>I have ordered a case and it arrived with dimples - raised posts in
>the motherboard tray. I have only built three systems in the past and
>never had a case come with the dimples. All of the others had the
>brass screw in standoffs.
>
>I assume I screw the board directly to the dimples (they take the
>place of the brass standoffs): Correct? Then I was wondering what the
>proper way to shield the unused dimples from coming in contact with my
>motherboard? My case came with 3 or 4 little plastic plugs that seem
>to be for that purpose. What if I don't have enough of the plastic
>plugs to fill all unused dimples? Is black electrical type
>sufficient?
>
>In your opinion is the design of dimples better or worse than the
>screw in brass standoffs?
>
>Thanks in advance...
>
>Theodat

My first build was with an Evercase that has dimples. I used electrical tape on
all of the dimples and then lined the mobo up and used an ice pick to poke holes
wherever the screw holes on the mobo were. This way I knew for sure that any
dimples not contacting with screws on the mobo would be taped over. It also
assures that excess metal on the dimples in use will not contact the board.

Two years later it's still humming along and I still like that case a lot.

Ed

> My first build was with an Evercase that has dimples. I used electrical tape on
> all of the dimples and then lined the mobo up and used an ice pick to poke holes
> wherever the screw holes on the mobo were. This way I knew for sure that any
> dimples not contacting with screws on the mobo would be taped over. It also
> assures that excess metal on the dimples in use will not contact the board.
>
> Two years later it's still humming along and I still like that case a lot.
>
> Ed

It seems the computers that last me the longest are the ones I build.
I had the first one I ever built a Pentium 166 stuck in the closet for
a few years..My wife finally got me to throw it away...of course not
until I "salvaged" a few parts.

theodat@yahoo.com (Theodat) wrote in message news:<e440a00c.0406151702.33d1157@posting.google.com>...

> I assume I screw the board directly to the dimples (they take
> the place of the brass standoffs): Correct? Then I was wondering
> what the proper way to shield the unused dimples from coming in
> contact with my motherboard? My case came with 3 or 4 little
> plastic plugs that seem to be for that purpose. What if I don't
> have enough of the plastic plugs to fill all unused dimples? Is
> black electrical tape sufficient?

Never trust electrical tape for insulation because it's too soft and
can be pierced easily. Use a tougher material, such as cardboard
(best is "fish" paper, a hard cardboard sold by electronics supplies,
but fiber washers are perfectly fine), Mylar, or nylon. Electronics
supplies and real hardware stores sell nylon washers, and office
supplies carry Mylar sheets. Don't assume that the motherboard can be
screwed directly to every standoff or dimple because there's often at
least one hole with traces running too closely to the hole to clear
them or the screw head -- inspect every hole, top and bottom.

The motherboard should be supported at every hole, to prevent flexing
that can make the board touch the case, and any hole without a
matching dimple or standoff below it should be supported with a nylon
standoff, although it may have to be trimmed on the bottom for the
proper length.