Linksys Thermal Problem

rgibbons

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2003
I have a Linksys BEFSR81 Router and a BEFCMU10 Cable Modem. Both are Version 2. When stacked in an office environment, the units get too warm -- above 105 degrees F. This exceeds their operating temperature limit and would be grounds for disallowing any warranty claims. Side-by-side, they are fine. After an initial suggestion that I should add ventilation, Linksys Tech Support will not reply to my inquiries. Linksys seems very proud of this form factor and has press releases stating that it is to promote unit stacking. But there may be a design problem with the ventilation.

Is anyone else seeing this heat problem with units stacked?

jihiggs

Splendid
Oct 11, 2001
how many high are you stacking them? i would just blow a fan on the stack, that will cool it enough.

my computer is so fast, it completes an endless loop in less than 4 seconds!

lonewolf1215

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2003
I have found that to be a problem as well. I have a linksys wireless-g stacked on top of a cable modem and have found that it gets really hot. So I stuck a fan in front of the stack and found that it cooled it down.

rgibbons

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2003
The stack is only two units high. You suggest adding an external fan -- that was what Linksys Tech Support suggested. That suggestion from Linksys is like Ford or GM suggesting that you only drive in reverse if there is a problem with the forward gears.

This is an obvious design flaw in the Version 2 form factor.

I have searched the Linksys product manuals and have found no statement that units can be stacked. However, their press releases for the Version 2 form factor explicitly state that this mechanical design is intended to allow stacking.

If people are considering purchase of Linksys components because of the ability to stack them (like I did), they should rethink that. The excessive heat will void the warranty and shorten the life.

jihiggs

Splendid
Oct 11, 2001
what makes you so sure that 105f will void the warrantee. how will they know? why would they bother to inspect the units when you send them back.

rgibbons

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2003
I am not sure why you are defending a poor product design.

The manuals clearly state the operating temperature upper limit as 104 degrees (40 C). I have measured temperatures above that but spoke conservatively here. Any operation outside the manufacturer's published specifications is a basis for denying warranty claims.

How would they know? If they don't inspect returns, they won't. If they do look, thermal problems tend to produce cascade failures and have a distinctive appearance. So, if I am willing to lie about how the unit was used, they can't prove anything. (What a nice example to set for your kids and the technical community.)

Whether I could get a warranty replacement or not is not the issue. I didn't purchase it with the intent of burning it up and attempting warranty claims.

What I sought in this forum was confirmation that there is a real design issue with the Linksys Version 2 form factor. I have received that. If anyone with influence at Linksys sees this, perhaps some changes will be made. At least potential customers will be better informed.

jihiggs

Splendid
Oct 11, 2001
rofl, you really think im the only one here that has had the idea of bending the truth about a product to return it? you wouldnt be trying to rip them off, you simply used the product as it was designed and it failed. and im not sure why your getting pissy about a trivial concern in the first place, then when you realise it is trivial you try to turn it back on me with a question of ethics.

jihiggs

Splendid
Oct 11, 2001
i just checked my manual for my linksys router. it says the ENVIRONMENTAL temp limits are 104 degrees. that means it shouldnt be used in an environment over 104 degrees, not the unit shouldnt get that hot.

rgibbons

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2003
I am aware of this distinction -- but Linksys Technical Support would not state that it was acceptable for the unit temperature to exceed 40 C. That was the source for my concern. Althon processors have a maximum die temperature of around 90 C and an operating environment limit of 40 C. AMD states that the temperature "inside the enclosure" should not exceed 40 C. They don't care what room temperature is. OK, so a single Linksys unit in a 40 C room should be fine. But when units are stacked, the local environment temperature goes way up. Measure temperature between the units and you will find it exceeds 40C.

Will the units fail immediately? Very unlikely.
Will they fail within a year? Possibly.
Will they fail within two years? Much more likely.

If they fail within the warranty period, I can try to get Linksys to replace them. (We can skip all the emotionalism about truth and honesty for this forum.)

But what about trying to influence manufacturers to deliver products that perform as advertised? That is not a trivial issue for me.

My initial contact with Linksys was intended to raise the question of a "possible" problem. Had that been addressed, I would have gone away happy. But I got stone-walled so I turned to this community for a sanity check.

And the answer has been that stacked units get hot.
I think that is a problem -- you don't. Everyone else can decide for themselves.