General ink questions

Brian

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2003

I'm on my 5th replacement of the C82 from epson within my year warranty.
Many problems. I have a few questions about ink now.

1) I have a set of genuine epson cartridges that I removed from the air seal
wrappers but never installed/punctured in a printer. Will these cartridges
still work brand new when I am ready to use them in a month or so, or will
they be affected because they were removed from the air seal wrappers?

2) How do I know when I am truely out of ink? I have a chip resetter so I
can reset my chips. I just reinstalled my old cartridges in the new printer
and had to reset the carts because it keps saying the black was empty and
wouldn't print (could hear a decent amount of ink in it!). I have multiple
brand new cartridges here to use when I need to, but how do I know when it's
time to put in a new one? Is the lack of black ink or fading black ink the
first sign? i don't want to stretch it too long and damage the printer but i
also don't want to waste ink!

Brian C

In fairness to Epson, it sounds as though your problems with their
printers is at least somewhat related to your use of 3rd party ink
cartridges and refilling or resetting ink cartridges.

The Durabrite inks are somewhat unique and most 3rd party copies do not
have the same properties, and this may be leading to some of the
problems you mention with your earlier printers.

The Epson cartridges used in this printer contain resin encapsulated
pigments. They can both settle out and coagolate over time if the
cartridge are not used. They should be well shaken before installation.

These cartdridges also can evaporate water from them if left exposed for
long periods, making the ink too thick, which is in part the reason for
the vacuum seal. In general they can work for a fair amount of time
after removal, however.

If you allow the cartridge to run out of ink completely, you may have
problems getting the ink to flow again due to air locks developing.

If you do not come even close to following Epson's instructions
regarding replacing the cartridges, I don't see how you can complain
about 5 failures and not take some repsonsibility. I appears on the
surface that Epson has been very fair to you in replacing the unit 5
times previously.

Art