Files and Internet Sharing Problems

Last response: in Wireless Networking
a b D Laptop
June 23, 2005 1:11:34 AM

I have got a laptop and desktop computers using ad hoc. They connect using
54mbs signal strength excelent.
The problem is they are connected but cant do anything with the network. The
files are shared on both and the internet is shared on desktop. I cant see
any files from either computer and cant use internet on the laptop.

do you know what is wrong?
June 23, 2005 1:11:35 AM

Hugh Janus wrote:
> I have got a laptop and desktop computers using ad hoc. They connect using
> 54mbs signal strength excelent.
> The problem is they are connected but cant do anything with the network. The
> files are shared on both and the internet is shared on desktop. I cant see
> any files from either computer and cant use internet on the laptop.
>
> do you know what is wrong?

Check both computers firewall settings.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
June 23, 2005 5:26:28 AM

In article <42b92cbe$1@news01.wxnz.net>, "Hugh Janus"
<hugh_janus@bigfoot.com> wrote:
>I have got a laptop and desktop computers using ad hoc. They connect using
>54mbs signal strength excelent.
>The problem is they are connected but cant do anything with the network. The
>files are shared on both and the internet is shared on desktop. I cant see
>any files from either computer and cant use internet on the laptop.
>
>do you know what is wrong?

Run the Network Setup Wizard on both computers.

Configure the desktop as an Internet Connection Sharing host, as shown
here:

XP ICS - Server Setup Using the Network Setup Wizard
http://www.practicallynetworked.com/sharing/xp_ics/serv...

When the Wizard runs on the laptop, it might detect a shared Internet
connection on the network. If it does, tell it to use that
connection. If it doesn't, tell it that the computer connects to the
Internet through another computer.
--
Best Wishes,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com