Highspeed

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2004

I have a P4 3.0E Prescott running on an Intel 865PERLX motherboard, with
stock Intel cooling. Before I put in the 3.0GHz CPU my CPU fan would
increase speed as temperatures increased. Now it sits at around 2500RPM and
my temps are going through the roof (>60degrees C). I have tried plugging
the fan into the Vreg connection, the CPU fan connection and direct to the
PSU without any resolution. If I leave my case door off (Antec Sonata) it
decreases the CPU temperature. Is there a setting in the BIOS that I need
to turn on (I have speed settings enabled)? Is there something else that I
am missing? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Lars

If leaving the door off noticeably helps, then you don't have
adequate case cooling. So you have _all_ the fans your case
can support installed?

I am also wondering if the Intel fan which came with your new
P4 is defective or not. It almost sounds like it could be.

BTW, my P4 3.0E runs at about 40 degrees C.

Highspeed wrote:

> If I leave my case door off (Antec Sonata) it
> decreases the CPU temperature.

Highspeed

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2004

I have all the fans the case can handle (2x120mm), I found an old
Thermaltake Copper Heatsink and variable speed fan that I plugged in and now
it runs at 47-50 and then 60 only under load. Seems alright now, I talked
to a guy at the local shop and he is running an overclocked P4B at upwards
of 70!! I don't doubt that the fan is defective as my old stock cooler
worked very well!

Thanks for your input