Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

SCSI vs IDE

Last response: in Systems
Share
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
a b Ô Samsung
June 14, 2004 6:10:42 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

My previous two cd burners were Yamaha SCSIs, on my current machine I
decided to go IDE since reviewers claim that IDE is just as good. Well, I
have been very unhappy with my Samsung SW-240B and I'm wondering if the
problems I'm having are inherent to IDE burners or if the Samsung is at
fault.

During years of burning hundreds of disks using SCSI burners, I may have
had 2 coasters. Out of the hundreds of disks I've burned with the Samsung
IDE, I'm running about 5-10% coasters depending on the brand. (I'm using
the exact same brands as I before). I did update the Samsung's bios a
while back and it did seem to help.

Furthermore, the 24X SCSI burned at 24X; the 40X Samsung IDE will only
burn at 24X reliably, 32X on some brands but not all.

Ideas? Should I scrap the Samsung for a different brand or should I go
back to SCSI?
--
Mac Cool

More about : scsi ide

Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
a b Ô Samsung
June 14, 2004 7:43:41 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

I am also a SCSI fan, but have found that software and good blanks are part
of the equation as well. My new IDE DVD+/-RW has been doing better than my
SCSI Yamaha CD-RW for CD burning/copying...

"Mac Cool" <Mac@2cool.com> wrote...
>
> During years of burning hundreds of disks using SCSI burners, I may have
> had 2 coasters. Out of the hundreds of disks I've burned with the Samsung
> IDE, I'm running about 5-10% coasters depending on the brand. (I'm using
> the exact same brands as I before). I did update the Samsung's bios a
> while back and it did seem to help.
>
> Furthermore, the 24X SCSI burned at 24X; the 40X Samsung IDE will only
> burn at 24X reliably, 32X on some brands but not all.
>
> Ideas? Should I scrap the Samsung for a different brand or should I go
> back to SCSI?
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
a b Ô Samsung
June 15, 2004 12:30:04 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

On Mon, 14 Jun 2004 02:10:42 +0000, Mac Cool wrote:

> My previous two cd burners were Yamaha SCSIs, on my current machine I
> decided to go IDE since reviewers claim that IDE is just as good. Well, I
> have been very unhappy with my Samsung SW-240B and I'm wondering if the
> problems I'm having are inherent to IDE burners or if the Samsung is at
> fault.
>
> During years of burning hundreds of disks using SCSI burners, I may have
> had 2 coasters. Out of the hundreds of disks I've burned with the Samsung
> IDE, I'm running about 5-10% coasters depending on the brand. (I'm using
> the exact same brands as I before). I did update the Samsung's bios a
> while back and it did seem to help.
>
> Furthermore, the 24X SCSI burned at 24X; the 40X Samsung IDE will only
> burn at 24X reliably, 32X on some brands but not all.
>
> Ideas? Should I scrap the Samsung for a different brand or should I go
> back to SCSI?

How is your Samsung connected to your system? With you getting a good
amount of coasters and not reliably burning much above 24x it sounds like
the CDRW is connected to the same IDE channel as the drive it's being fed
from.

You need to ensure that your CDRW is on a completely different IDE channel
from the drive it's getting data from because an IDE channel can only
either write or read at once.. As such the IDE channel would have a very
hard time keeping up with the required data transfer, and almost certainly
would not be able to sustain 6000KB/sec needed to write at 40x.

Also, I've had fair success with a Samsung drive in the past, it worked
well enough provided the machine did nothing but burn the CD. That was a
pre burn-proof drive though so my experience may not mean anything to you
in this situation. I do use a Lite-On LTR-4824S now and have had zero
problems with it, it burns everything I want at 48x no matter what the
rest of the computer is doing. If you were going to get a different IDE
CDRW I would certainly recommend a Lite-On.

Good luck,
Nate
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
a b Ô Samsung
June 15, 2004 6:01:39 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

"John R Weiss" <jrweiss98155@.comNOSPAMcast.net> said:

> I am also a SCSI fan, but have found that software and good blanks
> are part of the equation as well. My new IDE DVD+/-RW has been doing
> better than my SCSI Yamaha CD-RW for CD burning/copying...

same software, same blanks

Are you saying that you had problems with your Yamaha SCSI burner? I had
two Yamaha burners, I think I had one coaster on the first one and two
coasters on the second (one my fault, the second happened during a power
surge).
--
Mac Cool
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
a b Ô Samsung
June 15, 2004 6:24:55 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

"Mac Cool" <Mac@2cool.com> wrote...
>
> Are you saying that you had problems with your Yamaha SCSI burner? I had
> two Yamaha burners, I think I had one coaster on the first one and two
> coasters on the second (one my fault, the second happened during a power
> surge).

Yes. Maybe it was marginal for the computer (P3-550), or vice-versa...
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
a b Ô Samsung
June 15, 2004 6:28:36 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

"Nate" <none@foryou.com> said:

> You need to ensure that your CDRW is on a completely different IDE
> channel from the drive it's getting data from

I'll double check that. I'm pretty sure the two hard drives are on one IDE
channel and the CDR & DVD are on the other.

> Also, I've had fair success with a Samsung drive in the past, it
> worked well enough provided the machine did nothing but burn the CD.
> That was a pre burn-proof drive though so my experience may not mean
> anything to you in this situation. I do use a Lite-On LTR-4824S now
> and have had zero problems with it, it burns everything I want at 48x
> no matter what the rest of the computer is doing. If you were going
> to get a different IDE CDRW I would certainly recommend a Lite-On.

Cool, I might just do that after I check the IDE connections.
--
Mac Cool
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
a b Ô Samsung
June 15, 2004 6:29:50 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

"John R Weiss" <jrweiss98155@.comNOSPAMcast.net> said:

>> Are you saying that you had problems with your Yamaha SCSI burner? I
>> had two Yamaha burners, I think I had one coaster on the first one
>> and two coasters on the second (one my fault, the second happened
>> during a power surge).
>
> Yes. Maybe it was marginal for the computer (P3-550), or
> vice-versa...

It's just odd the way one person can have perfect experiences with a
product and someone else can have negative experiences.

--
Mac Cool
!