SCSI vs IDE

My previous two cd burners were Yamaha SCSIs, on my current machine I
decided to go IDE since reviewers claim that IDE is just as good. Well, I
have been very unhappy with my Samsung SW-240B and I'm wondering if the
problems I'm having are inherent to IDE burners or if the Samsung is at
fault.

During years of burning hundreds of disks using SCSI burners, I may have
had 2 coasters. Out of the hundreds of disks I've burned with the Samsung
IDE, I'm running about 5-10% coasters depending on the brand. (I'm using
the exact same brands as I before). I did update the Samsung's bios a
while back and it did seem to help.

Furthermore, the 24X SCSI burned at 24X; the 40X Samsung IDE will only
burn at 24X reliably, 32X on some brands but not all.

Ideas? Should I scrap the Samsung for a different brand or should I go
back to SCSI?
--
Mac Cool
6 answers Last reply

    I am also a SCSI fan, but have found that software and good blanks are part
    of the equation as well. My new IDE DVD+/-RW has been doing better than my
    SCSI Yamaha CD-RW for CD burning/copying...

    "Mac Cool" <Mac@2cool.com> wrote...

    On Mon, 14 Jun 2004 02:10:42 +0000, Mac Cool wrote:

    > My previous two cd burners were Yamaha SCSIs, on my current machine I
    > decided to go IDE since reviewers claim that IDE is just as good. Well, I
    > have been very unhappy with my Samsung SW-240B and I'm wondering if the
    > problems I'm having are inherent to IDE burners or if the Samsung is at
    > fault.
    >
    > During years of burning hundreds of disks using SCSI burners, I may have
    > had 2 coasters. Out of the hundreds of disks I've burned with the Samsung
    > IDE, I'm running about 5-10% coasters depending on the brand. (I'm using
    > the exact same brands as I before). I did update the Samsung's bios a
    > while back and it did seem to help.
    >
    > Furthermore, the 24X SCSI burned at 24X; the 40X Samsung IDE will only
    > burn at 24X reliably, 32X on some brands but not all.
    >
    > Ideas? Should I scrap the Samsung for a different brand or should I go
    > back to SCSI?

    How is your Samsung connected to your system? With you getting a good
    amount of coasters and not reliably burning much above 24x it sounds like
    the CDRW is connected to the same IDE channel as the drive it's being fed
    from.

    You need to ensure that your CDRW is on a completely different IDE channel
    from the drive it's getting data from because an IDE channel can only
    either write or read at once.. As such the IDE channel would have a very
    hard time keeping up with the required data transfer, and almost certainly
    would not be able to sustain 6000KB/sec needed to write at 40x.

    Also, I've had fair success with a Samsung drive in the past, it worked
    well enough provided the machine did nothing but burn the CD. That was a
    pre burn-proof drive though so my experience may not mean anything to you
    in this situation. I do use a Lite-On LTR-4824S now and have had zero
    problems with it, it burns everything I want at 48x no matter what the
    rest of the computer is doing. If you were going to get a different IDE
    CDRW I would certainly recommend a Lite-On.

    Good luck,
    Nate

    "John R Weiss" <jrweiss98155@.comNOSPAMcast.net> said:

    > I am also a SCSI fan, but have found that software and good blanks
    > are part of the equation as well. My new IDE DVD+/-RW has been doing
    > better than my SCSI Yamaha CD-RW for CD burning/copying...

    same software, same blanks

    Are you saying that you had problems with your Yamaha SCSI burner? I had
    two Yamaha burners, I think I had one coaster on the first one and two
    coasters on the second (one my fault, the second happened during a power
    surge).
    --
    Mac Cool

    "Mac Cool" <Mac@2cool.com> wrote...

    > Are you saying that you had problems with your Yamaha SCSI burner? I had
    > two Yamaha burners, I think I had one coaster on the first one and two
    > coasters on the second (one my fault, the second happened during a power
    > surge).

    Yes. Maybe it was marginal for the computer (P3-550), or vice-versa...

    "Nate" <none@foryou.com> said:

    > You need to ensure that your CDRW is on a completely different IDE
    > channel from the drive it's getting data from

    I'll double check that. I'm pretty sure the two hard drives are on one IDE
    channel and the CDR & DVD are on the other.

    > Also, I've had fair success with a Samsung drive in the past, it
    > worked well enough provided the machine did nothing but burn the CD.
    > That was a pre burn-proof drive though so my experience may not mean
    > anything to you in this situation. I do use a Lite-On LTR-4824S now
    > and have had zero problems with it, it burns everything I want at 48x
    > no matter what the rest of the computer is doing. If you were going
    > to get a different IDE CDRW I would certainly recommend a Lite-On.

    Cool, I might just do that after I check the IDE connections.
    --
    Mac Cool

    "John R Weiss" <jrweiss98155@.comNOSPAMcast.net> said:

    >> Are you saying that you had problems with your Yamaha SCSI burner? I
    >> had two Yamaha burners, I think I had one coaster on the first one
    >> and two coasters on the second (one my fault, the second happened
    >> during a power surge).
    >
    > Yes. Maybe it was marginal for the computer (P3-550), or
    > vice-versa...

    It's just odd the way one person can have perfect experiences with a
    product and someone else can have negative experiences.

    --
    Mac Cool

Homebuilt SCSI Burner Samsung Systems