Large IDE drive support

Hey,
I've been having trouble getting XP to recognize all my hard drive
space. I was searching on the Microsoft Database for large hard drive
support (over 137 GB). No luck. All drivers are updated. Basically,
the problem is that I just built this PC. I finally got the SP1
installed, and then, when I look in the Disk Management program, I
have 12 GB in a partition that doesn't show in My Computer and 58 GB
in an unallocated disk space. Neither were there before the SP1
update. I cannot delete the 12 GB partition, nor can I create format
the partition to make it useable. The 58 GB of unallocated space is
just as useless. I cannot create a new partition with this space, the
option is not highlighted when I right click its picture in Disk
Management. I still have had no luck with Microsoft's Knowledge
Database. I tried to enable large ATAPI drive support, but some of
the folders they have listed that I save certain files in aren't even
on my PC, i.e. Sysprep/i386 . Trying to think of what else I have
done so as to eliminate redundant tasks. Oh, in the knowledge
database I could enable the large drive support via registry keys.
So, I follow the folders to where I'm supposed to go and the
EnableBigLba value is not available. It was located in
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Atapi\Parameters
Anyway, my BIOS recognizes the harddrive as 200 GB. In my device
manager, it recognizes it and says it is 190 (and some 6 odd number)
bytes, which, in essence, makes it a 185 GB drive. So, the problem
lies with Disk Manager. I wonder if I could find Partition Magic from
anywhere or if that is the problem. Any help or support would be
welcome. Thanks.
Matt Niemerg

==============

Not quite sure what is going on with your drive there.

Personally I would start again if it is not too much hassle. The way I would
do it is to boot using a Win 98 boot floppy, FDISK and remove all
partitions to start with a blank drive. Then I would partition 20GB off and
format that as FAT32. After that I would install XP onto this partition and
update it to service pack 1. Then I would run the Big Drive patch from the
Maxtor site to enable Windows to see more than 132GB:

https://maxtor.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/maxtor.cfg/php/enduser/olh_adp.php?p_faqid=960&&p_sid=FNzJr1eh&p_lva=

or

http://tinyurl.com/3ytlh

This is how I just installed a pair of 160GB drives. After running the patch
I suddenly had an extra 52GB of space to play with.

Once XP is installed then I would use the Drive Management utility to sort
out the other partitions etc.

Adam S

Well, I'll give her a shot. It shouldn't be too much trouble. Just
need to burn everything I have copied over. No Biggie. Thanks for
the advice.

Matt

==============

GTS

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2003

Don't really get this - WinXP SP1 has support for drives bigger than 137gb
built-in. It was only in XP without SP1 that you need to edit the registry
setting, which is probably why you can't see it.
However it is essential to install the hotfix for drives > 137gb in XP SP1
as a bug was found when using standby or hibernate, where the larger drives
could be corrupted.
Anyway the best solution is to have several partitions on the large drive -
it would take an eternity to defrag one large partition. On my new 160gb
drive I used four 40gb partitions - one for data, one for Xvid etc etc.

"Gott" <mniemerg@hotmail-dot-com.no-spam.invalid> wrote in message
> Well, I'll give her a shot. It shouldn't be too much trouble. Just
> need to burn everything I have copied over. No Biggie. Thanks for
> the advice.
>
> Matt
>
> ==============
troubleshooting newsgroups.

try installing bootit ng http://www.terabyteunlimited.com

regards will,
http://www.fileant.com

> Hey,
> I've been having trouble getting XP to recognize all my hard drive
> space. I was searching on the Microsoft Database for large hard drive
> support (over 137 GB). No luck. All drivers are updated. Basically,
> the problem is that I just built this PC. I finally got the SP1
> installed, and then, when I look in the Disk Management program, I
> have 12 GB in a partition that doesn't show in My Computer and 58 GB
> in an unallocated disk space. Neither were there before the SP1
> update. I cannot delete the 12 GB partition, nor can I create format
> the partition to make it useable. The 58 GB of unallocated space is
> just as useless. I cannot create a new partition with this space, the
> option is not highlighted when I right click its picture in Disk
> Management. I still have had no luck with Microsoft's Knowledge
> Database. I tried to enable large ATAPI drive support, but some of
> the folders they have listed that I save certain files in aren't even
> on my PC, i.e. Sysprep/i386 . Trying to think of what else I have
> done so as to eliminate redundant tasks. Oh, in the knowledge
> database I could enable the large drive support via registry keys.
> So, I follow the folders to where I'm supposed to go and the
> EnableBigLba value is not available. It was located in
> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Atapi\Parameters
> Anyway, my BIOS recognizes the harddrive as 200 GB. In my device
> manager, it recognizes it and says it is 190 (and some 6 odd number)
> bytes, which, in essence, makes it a 185 GB drive. So, the problem
> lies with Disk Manager. I wonder if I could find Partition Magic from
> anywhere or if that is the problem. Any help or support would be
> welcome. Thanks.
> Matt Niemerg
>
> ==============
troubleshooting newsgroups.

Joe

On 15 Jun 2004 21:08:09 -0400,
mniemerg@hotmail-dot-com.no-spam.invalid (Gott) wrote:

>Hey,
>I've been having trouble getting XP to recognize all my hard drive
>space.

I've found the place to start is with the hard drive's manufacturer.
They usually give you a bootable disk or CD that can partition and
format your drive prior to installing the OS, or have drivers for a
controller card that you load at the appropriate point during the OS
install.

If you didn't get any of that stuff, you can download it all from
their website. I've noticed they keep updating the programs.

My experience has been with western digital.

Andy

On 15 Jun 2004 21:08:09 -0400,
mniemerg@hotmail-dot-com.no-spam.invalid (Gott) wrote:

>Hey,
>I've been having trouble getting XP to recognize all my hard drive
>space. I was searching on the Microsoft Database for large hard drive
>support (over 137 GB). No luck. All drivers are updated. Basically,
>the problem is that I just built this PC. I finally got the SP1
>installed, and then, when I look in the Disk Management program, I
>have 12 GB in a partition that doesn't show in My Computer and 58 GB
>in an unallocated disk space. Neither were there before the SP1
>update.

Before SP1 is applied, Windows XP Disk Management will see only the
first 137GB (128GB, G=2^30) of the disk. The 58GB (= 186GB - 128GB)
unallocated space means that one or more partitions were created,
taking up the entire first 128GB. I have no idea what the 12GB
partition is about, but if you describe in detail how you created the
partitions, it should be obvious.

> I cannot delete the 12 GB partition, nor can I create format
>the partition to make it useable. The 58 GB of unallocated space is
>just as useless. I cannot create a new partition with this space,

If an extended partition already exists, Disk Management should be
able to partition the 58GB unallocated space as another primary
partition, provided that three don't already exist. What you should do
is delete the existing extended partition, which should combine
(assuming only a single primary partition exists) with the 58GB
unallocated space. Then create a new extended partition.

> the
>option is not highlighted when I right click its picture in Disk
>Management. I still have had no luck with Microsoft's Knowledge
>Database. I tried to enable large ATAPI drive support, but some of
>the folders they have listed that I save certain files in aren't even
>on my PC, i.e. Sysprep/i386 . Trying to think of what else I have
>done so as to eliminate redundant tasks. Oh, in the knowledge
>database I could enable the large drive support via registry keys.
>So, I follow the folders to where I'm supposed to go and the
>EnableBigLba value is not available. It was located in
>HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Atapi\Parameters
>Anyway, my BIOS recognizes the harddrive as 200 GB. In my device
>manager, it recognizes it and says it is 190 (and some 6 odd number)
>bytes, which, in essence, makes it a 185 GB drive. So, the problem
>lies with Disk Manager. I wonder if I could find Partition Magic from
>anywhere or if that is the problem. Any help or support would be
>welcome. Thanks.

If you want the Windows XP setup program to see the entire 200GB
drive, you have to use a Windows XP CD that incorporates SP1, either
by slipstreaming SP1 to the original XP CD or using a recent XP
release.
Otherwise you should just create a one (primary) partition and install
Windows XP in it. When installation is complete, apply SP1 to it. Then
Disk Management should see the entire rest of the drive as
unallocated, allowing you to create an extended partition in it.