Anyone here build their own cabinet? I am thinking about building one, but
wondering if just buying a ready to assemble cabinet might be a better way
to go.

James D wrote:
> Anyone here build their own cabinet? I am thinking about building one, but
> wondering if just buying a ready to assemble cabinet might be a better way
> to go.

Ready to assemble cabs are great for time conciderations, but they can
be costly.

I've built three cabs and I can tell you it's alot cheaper, requires
some basic carpenter skills and knowledge. It takes longer to build your
own, but the satisfaction at a job well done is worth it.

--
Bustin' Naughty Folks since 1983

See my custom built upright and cocktail cabinets at:
http://home.columbus.rr.com/supermappy/

Come to chat in #tombstones on preacher.foreverchat.net:6660-6667,7000

MAME: Forever Young!

James D wrote:
> Anyone here build their own cabinet? I am thinking about building one, but
> wondering if just buying a ready to assemble cabinet might be a better way
> to go.

While building your own cab is cool, most people would consider one like
this (http://tinyurl.com/yvi2) going a /little/ overboard. All things in
moderation.....<GBG>

--
Thnik about it!
Deadly_Dad

northwardly@substitutabled.edu
cliffless@foretaster.spatuliformq.com
undespairing@Alectoromorphaei.mil
floppy@uncinariasisa.net
cramped@agnoiology.perjurymongeringl.com

The third option - find a generic JAMMA cabinet or a previously
converted game. My most recent mame machine is a Xevious that was
converted to a two player vertical shm'up. Hooked up a arcade pci card
and a keyboard interface and it's good to go. Even used the existing
speakers. Total "construction" time was probably a couple hours.

Just don't MAME a complete classic... or if you do, don't mention it...

Seth
pgh, pa

On Mon, 12 Sep 2005 03:12:06 GMT, James D <newsgroopie@NOSPAM.yahoo.com> wrote:
> Anyone here build their own cabinet? I am thinking about building one, but
> wondering if just buying a ready to assemble cabinet might be a better way
> to go.

Hi there,

It really depends on what you want/need. If an off the shelf one works for you
and is in your price range you'll save some time and effort. If you are a DIY
type or none of the current crop of prebuilt ones does it for you you can build
your own. I ended up building one because none of the ones you could purchase
suited my needs (rotating monitor, modular controls, etc).

hth,
~telengard

--
..--------------------------------------------------,--------.
|-------------------------. bsturk<AT>adelphia.net | Python |( _ _)/ /-."~
| http://www.telengard.com `------------------------`-------| `( )_ )/
| Telengard Technologies Inc. - NT/*nix UI & device drivers |_<_s_<_s
`-----------------------------------------------------------'

I built my own cabinet in an old cabinet. A lot of work,
but it's fun and gives satisfaction ....
See this site for pics (dutch)

http://www.venuehost.net/EasyHost/radiolover/arcade.htm

Greetz

:)

James D wrote:
> Anyone here build their own cabinet? I am thinking about building one, but
> wondering if just buying a ready to assemble cabinet might be a better way
> to go.

Yes indeed, i hacked a keyboard, it's great to search for the right
points on the board
that are needed for connect the joysticks and buttons .... that old
fashion work, gives a
more satisfied result, i search for al the stuff i needed, and don't
pay much for it. it's a hobby, and buying ready to use components, is
not creative :)
Creative and cheap, bud with the result i wanted, a solid, good
functioned cabinet, with mame, vpinball and arcade jukebox ....

Greetz

:)

mcr

Distinguished
May 10, 2004

hotline wrote:
> I built my own cabinet in an old cabinet. A lot of work,
> but it's fun and gives satisfaction ....
> See this site for pics (dutch)
>
> http://www.venuehost.net/EasyHost/radiolover/arcade.htm
>
> Greetz
>
> :)

Looks like some very nice work you have done. I take it from the pics
that you hacked a keyboard rather than use a ipac?

--
MCR
MAME(tm) - History In The Making

hotline wrote:
> James D wrote:
>
>>Anyone here build their own cabinet? I am thinking about building one, but
>>wondering if just buying a ready to assemble cabinet might be a better way
>>to go.
>
> I built my own cabinet in an old cabinet. A lot of work,
> but it's fun and gives satisfaction ....
> See this site for pics (dutch)
>
> http://www.venuehost.net/EasyHost/radiolover/arcade.htm
>
> Greetz
>
> :)

"Even if for a long time there was the plan an arcade obtain cupboard in
house. However a cupboard with one game would will annoy already
rapidly. For this reason was opted there to build in original an arcade
cabinet, a modern PC., which all ' arcade converts in classics ' by
means of MAME, and to which lets times revive to good old luna-park...."
(Gotta /love/ Babelfish, eh? <G>)

Seriously, your design impresses already rapidly me!

--
Thnik about it!
Deadly_Dad

pseudobrotherly@Germanistg.do
disenclose@erectable.thiophenu.edu
filamented@tapinocephalic.relictionu.edu
oestrid@leopardine.unmitigativej.org
Lepidostei@atwitchu.at

WHOAH!

a little overboard there, eh?

hotline wrote:
> Yes indeed, i hacked a keyboard, it's great to search for the right
> points on the board
> that are needed for connect the joysticks and buttons .... that old
> fashion work, gives a
> more satisfied result, i search for al the stuff i needed, and don't
> pay much for it. it's a hobby, and buying ready to use components, is
> not creative :)
> Creative and cheap, bud with the result i wanted, a solid, good
> functioned cabinet, with mame, vpinball and arcade jukebox ....
>
> Greetz
>
> :)

Well I must say I was impressed. I read about problems with ghosting
and limits on the number of keys that can be pressed simultaneously, but
I guess you havent had these issues...

Looks good

:)

--
MCR
MAME(tm) - History In The Making
www.pleasure-dome.org.uk

ROMbler

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2006
I had a blast building my own cab. I looked into buying a kit or just converting an old cabinet, but in the end I wanted to be able to say I did it from scratch.

You can see it here