Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

CPU temp - MBM vs Bios

Last response: in Systems
Share
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
a b à CPUs
June 16, 2004 8:47:33 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

I have a 2.8GHz P4 Northwood, and I might be having some trouble with
temperatures. The BIOS reports a CPU temperature of 45º C, while MBM5 and
Speedfan report a CPU temp of 76º C. Which one should I believe? I'm
leaning towards the bios, because speedfan has been giving me case temps
ranging from -6º all the way up to 70º. I've reset the stock HSF several
times, using new heatsink compound each time, thinking that this was the
problem, but it doesn't seem to be helping. Any ideas?

Thanks,

MC

More about : cpu temp mbm bios

Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
a b à CPUs
June 17, 2004 8:31:09 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

"Moderately Confused" <moderatelyconfused@Y@hoo.com> wrote in message news:<st6dnUf8epqjLE3dRVn-ug@comcast.com>...

> I have a 2.8GHz P4 Northwood, and I might be having some
> trouble with temperatures. The BIOS reports a CPU temperature
> of 45º C, while MBM5 and Speedfan report a CPU temp of 76º C.
> Which one should I believe? I'm leaning towards the bios,
> because speedfan has been giving me case temps ranging from
> -6º all the way up to 70º. I've reset the stock HSF several
> times, using new heatsink compound each time, thinking that
> this was the problem, but it doesn't seem to be helping.

Maybe it's not helping because the hardware has been
hunky-dory/okee-dokee all along?

Have you tried manually configuring MBM5 and SpeedFan for your
particular hardware? Because I've seen them set themselves up wrong
and give wierd readings, especially for temperatures, but in one case,
with an ECS K7VTA3 v. 8, SpeedFan said that my +12V bounced between
+6V and +8V every second, all while it read a steady +12.11V with a
meter (even MBM5 had problems -- it said that the voltage was about
10.6V). BTW, did you try sticking a thermometer between the fins of
the heatsink? There are small, fast-reacting ones made for measuring
food that can read up to about 100C, and the heatsink will be a few
degrees cooler than the CPU.
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
a b à CPUs
June 17, 2004 11:05:06 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

Two things come to mind...

First, are you sure that you set up both MBM and SpeedFan to use
the right temperature sensor for the CPU temperature reading?

Second, are you sure that you aren't confusing celcius and
farentheit?

The reason that these two things come to mind, is that if you
are reading case or MB temperature, and that reading is in
farentheit, then 76º actually makes sense.

Moderately Confused wrote:
>
> I have a 2.8GHz P4 Northwood, and I might be having some trouble with
> temperatures. The BIOS reports a CPU temperature of 45º C, while MBM5 and
> Speedfan report a CPU temp of 76º C. Which one should I believe? I'm
> leaning towards the bios, because speedfan has been giving me case temps
> ranging from -6º all the way up to 70º. I've reset the stock HSF several
> times, using new heatsink compound each time, thinking that this was the
> problem, but it doesn't seem to be helping. Any ideas?
>
> Thanks,
>
> MC
Related resources
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
a b à CPUs
June 17, 2004 8:17:52 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

Yup, it's definitely 76º C. I'm checking on the settings MBM and Speedfan
now.

MC

"Walt" <NoSpamForWalt@Early.com> wrote in message
news:40D17AE2.9ADAF25C@Early.com...
> Two things come to mind...
>
> First, are you sure that you set up both MBM and SpeedFan to use
> the right temperature sensor for the CPU temperature reading?
>
> Second, are you sure that you aren't confusing celcius and
> farentheit?
>
> The reason that these two things come to mind, is that if you
> are reading case or MB temperature, and that reading is in
> farentheit, then 76º actually makes sense.
>
> Moderately Confused wrote:
> >
> > I have a 2.8GHz P4 Northwood, and I might be having some trouble with
> > temperatures. The BIOS reports a CPU temperature of 45º C, while MBM5
and
> > Speedfan report a CPU temp of 76º C. Which one should I believe? I'm
> > leaning towards the bios, because speedfan has been giving me case temps
> > ranging from -6º all the way up to 70º. I've reset the stock HSF
several
> > times, using new heatsink compound each time, thinking that this was the
> > problem, but it doesn't seem to be helping. Any ideas?
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > MC
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
a b à CPUs
June 17, 2004 8:21:03 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

"larrymoencurly" <larrymoencurly@my-deja.com> wrote in message
news:755e968a.0406170331.7ca320bb@posting.google.com...
> "Moderately Confused" <moderatelyconfused@Y@hoo.com> wrote in message
news:<st6dnUf8epqjLE3dRVn-ug@comcast.com>...
>
> > I have a 2.8GHz P4 Northwood, and I might be having some
> > trouble with temperatures. The BIOS reports a CPU temperature
> > of 45º C, while MBM5 and Speedfan report a CPU temp of 76º C.
> > Which one should I believe? I'm leaning towards the bios,
> > because speedfan has been giving me case temps ranging from
> > -6º all the way up to 70º. I've reset the stock HSF several
> > times, using new heatsink compound each time, thinking that
> > this was the problem, but it doesn't seem to be helping.
>
> Maybe it's not helping because the hardware has been
> hunky-dory/okee-dokee all along?
>
> Have you tried manually configuring MBM5 and SpeedFan for your
> particular hardware? Because I've seen them set themselves up wrong
> and give wierd readings, especially for temperatures, but in one case,
> with an ECS K7VTA3 v. 8, SpeedFan said that my +12V bounced between
> +6V and +8V every second, all while it read a steady +12.11V with a
> meter (even MBM5 had problems -- it said that the voltage was about
> 10.6V). BTW, did you try sticking a thermometer between the fins of
> the heatsink? There are small, fast-reacting ones made for measuring
> food that can read up to about 100C, and the heatsink will be a few
> degrees cooler than the CPU.

I'm leaning towards trusting the Bios, and that I didn't configure speedfan
or MBM right. Speedfan has given me case temps ranging from -6C all the way
up to 70C. I also have a Hardcano temperature thingie in the fins, and it's
giving me a reading of 31.9, as of now. I'll try reinstalling MBM to see if
it fixes anything.

Thanks,

MC
!