CPU temp - MBM vs Bios

I have a 2.8GHz P4 Northwood, and I might be having some trouble with
temperatures. The BIOS reports a CPU temperature of 45º C, while MBM5 and
Speedfan report a CPU temp of 76º C. Which one should I believe? I'm
leaning towards the bios, because speedfan has been giving me case temps
ranging from -6º all the way up to 70º. I've reset the stock HSF several
times, using new heatsink compound each time, thinking that this was the
problem, but it doesn't seem to be helping. Any ideas?

Thanks,

MC
4 answers Last reply
More about temp bios

    "Moderately Confused" <moderatelyconfused@Y@hoo.com> wrote in message news:<st6dnUf8epqjLE3dRVn-ug@comcast.com>...

    > I have a 2.8GHz P4 Northwood, and I might be having some
    > trouble with temperatures. The BIOS reports a CPU temperature
    > of 45º C, while MBM5 and Speedfan report a CPU temp of 76º C.
    > Which one should I believe? I'm leaning towards the bios,
    > because speedfan has been giving me case temps ranging from
    > -6º all the way up to 70º. I've reset the stock HSF several
    > times, using new heatsink compound each time, thinking that
    > this was the problem, but it doesn't seem to be helping.

    Maybe it's not helping because the hardware has been
    hunky-dory/okee-dokee all along?

    Have you tried manually configuring MBM5 and SpeedFan for your
    particular hardware? Because I've seen them set themselves up wrong
    and give wierd readings, especially for temperatures, but in one case,
    with an ECS K7VTA3 v. 8, SpeedFan said that my +12V bounced between
    +6V and +8V every second, all while it read a steady +12.11V with a
    meter (even MBM5 had problems -- it said that the voltage was about
    10.6V). BTW, did you try sticking a thermometer between the fins of
    the heatsink? There are small, fast-reacting ones made for measuring
    food that can read up to about 100C, and the heatsink will be a few
    degrees cooler than the CPU.

    Two things come to mind...

    First, are you sure that you set up both MBM and SpeedFan to use
    the right temperature sensor for the CPU temperature reading?

    Second, are you sure that you aren't confusing celcius and
    farentheit?

    The reason that these two things come to mind, is that if you
    are reading case or MB temperature, and that reading is in
    farentheit, then 76º actually makes sense.

    Moderately Confused wrote:

    > I have a 2.8GHz P4 Northwood, and I might be having some trouble with
    > temperatures. The BIOS reports a CPU temperature of 45º C, while MBM5 and
    > Speedfan report a CPU temp of 76º C. Which one should I believe? I'm
    > leaning towards the bios, because speedfan has been giving me case temps
    > ranging from -6º all the way up to 70º. I've reset the stock HSF several
    > times, using new heatsink compound each time, thinking that this was the
    > problem, but it doesn't seem to be helping. Any ideas?
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > MC

    Yup, it's definitely 76º C. I'm checking on the settings MBM and Speedfan
    now.

    MC

    "larrymoencurly" <larrymoencurly@my-deja.com> wrote in message
    > "Moderately Confused" <moderatelyconfused@Y@hoo.com> wrote in message
    >
    > > I have a 2.8GHz P4 Northwood, and I might be having some
    > > trouble with temperatures. The BIOS reports a CPU temperature
    > > of 45º C, while MBM5 and Speedfan report a CPU temp of 76º C.
    > > Which one should I believe? I'm leaning towards the bios,
    > > because speedfan has been giving me case temps ranging from
    > > -6º all the way up to 70º. I've reset the stock HSF several
    > > times, using new heatsink compound each time, thinking that
    > > this was the problem, but it doesn't seem to be helping.
    >
    > Maybe it's not helping because the hardware has been
    > hunky-dory/okee-dokee all along?
    >
    > Have you tried manually configuring MBM5 and SpeedFan for your
    > particular hardware? Because I've seen them set themselves up wrong
    > and give wierd readings, especially for temperatures, but in one case,
    > with an ECS K7VTA3 v. 8, SpeedFan said that my +12V bounced between
    > +6V and +8V every second, all while it read a steady +12.11V with a
    > meter (even MBM5 had problems -- it said that the voltage was about
    > 10.6V). BTW, did you try sticking a thermometer between the fins of
    > the heatsink? There are small, fast-reacting ones made for measuring
    > food that can read up to about 100C, and the heatsink will be a few
    > degrees cooler than the CPU.

    I'm leaning towards trusting the Bios, and that I didn't configure speedfan
    or MBM right. Speedfan has given me case temps ranging from -6C all the way
    up to 70C. I also have a Hardcano temperature thingie in the fins, and it's
    giving me a reading of 31.9, as of now. I'll try reinstalling MBM to see if
    it fixes anything.

    Thanks,

    MC

Homebuilt BIOS CPUs Systems