Print Server on Wired/Wireless LAN

Currently networked through an 8-port switch:
3 Windows 98 SE PCs
1 Windows XP laptop
Intel Netport Express Print Server with 2 parallel port printers attached

Just added a wireless NIC and 4-port wireless router to use with the
laptop. Connected the wireless router to the switch with a crossover
cable. Access to the other computers is fine. So is access to the
internet. The problem is that printing from the laptop when it is
connected to the network wirelessly hangs. There doesn't seem to be any
way to fix that.

So, I've been looking at buying a wireless print server. From the Belkin
Wireless Print Server F1UP0001 manual:

"This [ethernet] port [on the print server] is used to connect the PC to an
ethernet network via CAT5 cable. Note: Using this port will automatically
disable wireless functionality in the Print Server."

Is there a print server that can handle both wired and wireless connections
or does one need separate print servers and printers -- one set for the
wired PCs on the network and and another set for the wireless?

Thanks.

john

Splendid
Aug 25, 2003

Kathy wrote:
> Currently networked through an 8-port switch:
> 3 Windows 98 SE PCs
> 1 Windows XP laptop
> Intel Netport Express Print Server with 2 parallel port printers attached
>
> Just added a wireless NIC and 4-port wireless router to use with the
> laptop. Connected the wireless router to the switch with a crossover
> cable. Access to the other computers is fine. So is access to the
> internet. The problem is that printing from the laptop when it is
> connected to the network wirelessly hangs. There doesn't seem to be any
> way to fix that.
>
> So, I've been looking at buying a wireless print server. From the Belkin
> Wireless Print Server F1UP0001 manual:
>
> "This [ethernet] port [on the print server] is used to connect the PC to an
> ethernet network via CAT5 cable. Note: Using this port will automatically
> disable wireless functionality in the Print Server."
>
> Is there a print server that can handle both wired and wireless connections
> or does one need separate print servers and printers -- one set for the
> wired PCs on the network and and another set for the wireless?
>
> Thanks.

I don't know why the Netport Print server hangs as from my limited
experience it should work. I have a cable / router that feeds a 8 port
hub. The CAT 5 wire snakes around to another building (home) and there
I have another 8 port hub. On this hub I have a wireless access port
for my wife and my XP laptops. Back at the first 8 port hub I have a
CAT 5 cable going to a wired D-Link DP300U which gives me 2 parallel
ports and one USB port. I have a inkjet printer on the USB port and two
old IBM Laser printers on the parallel ports. All machines (8) on the
network can get to all three printers.

I assume when you say "Access to the other computers is fine." that you
mean you can print from any of the wired computers? If the print
drivers and configuration is the same on the laptop as the wired
machines, it ought to work (in my opinion). I know when I installed the
D-Link server, I had to create a TCP/IP printer port for each printer.
Did you do this for the Intel server?

As for the last question, no, you don't have to have separate print
servers / printers for your wireless end of the network. If all else
fails, I know the D-Link DP-300-U will do the job. I found mine at
COMP-USA for a few cents under $70.00. It hasn't given me a minutes
trouble. The server may be cheaper on the net, but I just browsed into
it on the shelf and thought it was a very good deal, price wise. You
can pay a lot more for print servers.

I don't have a good answer, but I do believe you have everything you need.

John