Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Recommend a good CD burner, Please

Last response: in Systems
Share
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
June 19, 2004 12:29:38 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

Hi,

Can you guys tell me the a good CD burner to burn perfect audio cds. Price
range is about US100. I have checked various PCguide and magz but hoping to
hear from anyone who has done perfect audio cd burning.

Is there any difference between a cheap CD burner and an expensive one?

Thanks.

More about : recommend good burner

June 19, 2004 12:29:39 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

I bought a Sony CRX320E here in the UK and it is the best. Worked
first time with XP and I have never had a disc fail to burn. Music CDs
are a doddle too!

It writes at 40x and can also read DVDs

It cost me £30

I see its listed in Ebuyer.com for $50
http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/products/index.html?acti...

cheers

Harry

On Fri, 18 Jun 2004 20:29:38 +0800, "Chelvam" <chelvam@myjaring.net>
wrote:

>Hi,
>
>Can you guys tell me the a good CD burner to burn perfect audio cds. Price
>range is about US100. I have checked various PCguide and magz but hoping to
>hear from anyone who has done perfect audio cd burning.
>
>Is there any difference between a cheap CD burner and an expensive one?
>
>Thanks.
>
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
June 19, 2004 12:29:39 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

On Fri, 18 Jun 2004 20:29:38 +0800, Chelvam wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Can you guys tell me the a good CD burner to burn perfect audio cds. Price
> range is about US100. I have checked various PCguide and magz but hoping to
> hear from anyone who has done perfect audio cd burning.
>
For under $100, you can get a DVD burner (which also burns cd's).
Actually, you can probably get some older 4x dvd burners for under $50. CD
burners are under $30 now on sale.

> Is there any difference between a cheap CD burner and an expensive one?
>
Not enough to justify $100 for one.:-)

--
Abit KT7-Raid (KT133) Tbred B core CPU @2400MHz (24x100FSB)
http://mysite.verizon.net/res0exft/cpu.htm
Related resources
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
June 19, 2004 1:21:48 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

"Harry" <A@A.A> wrote in message
news:48q5d0tl1upn77uiefftcgi9rtoo9095ev@4ax.com...
> I bought a Sony CRX320E here in the UK and it is the best. Worked
> first time with XP and I have never had a disc fail to burn. Music CDs
> are a doddle too!
>
> It writes at 40x and can also read DVDs
>
> It cost me £30
>
> I see its listed in Ebuyer.com for $50
>
http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/products/index.html?acti...
92ZXJ2aWV3&product_uid=130277
>
> cheers
>
> Harry

Thanks Harry, I spent a fortune on the DVD drive and realised I can't burn
CD. Then I bought a cheap writer and found that the audio cd copies are not
that great.

Some say i should get a good writer. Some say it should not make any
difference. rather confused because my copies are definetely not as good as
my original.

Regards.
June 19, 2004 1:21:49 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

On Fri, 18 Jun 2004 21:21:48 +0800, "Chelvam" <chelvam@myjaring.net>
wrote:

>
>"Harry" <A@A.A> wrote in message
>news:48q5d0tl1upn77uiefftcgi9rtoo9095ev@4ax.com...
>> I bought a Sony CRX320E here in the UK and it is the best. Worked
>> first time with XP and I have never had a disc fail to burn. Music CDs
>> are a doddle too!
>>
>> It writes at 40x and can also read DVDs
>>
>> It cost me £30
>>
>> I see its listed in Ebuyer.com for $50
>>
>http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/products/index.html?acti...
>92ZXJ2aWV3&product_uid=130277
>>
>> cheers
>>
>> Harry
>
>Thanks Harry, I spent a fortune on the DVD drive and realised I can't burn
>CD. Then I bought a cheap writer and found that the audio cd copies are not
>that great.
>
>Some say i should get a good writer. Some say it should not make any
>difference. rather confused because my copies are definetely not as good as
>my original.
>
>Regards.
>
Glad I could help.

As a side issue I use Nero for creating all my music CDs and it is (to
me) the best burning software around.

I do drap and drop data backups directly onto the CD in XP, but Nero
is the one for the music CDs...

Harry
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
June 19, 2004 1:21:49 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

>
> Thanks Harry, I spent a fortune on the DVD drive and realised I can't burn
> CD. Then I bought a cheap writer and found that the audio cd copies are
not
> that great.
>
> Some say i should get a good writer. Some say it should not make any
> difference. rather confused because my copies are definetely not as good
as
> my original.

The copies should be exectally the same as the origional. If they are not
then it is the software that is doing something to the data. The "audio" on
the CDs are digital data. It has to be copied exectally. If it is not an
exect copy then you or the software you are using is converting or
compressing the data to put more songs on one CD.
It does not mater if you use the cheapest cd writer , if it will copy a
computer program , it will poduce an audio CD exectally. While you may get
away with a few bits of audio data or pix data missing or changed a computer
program will not work if one bit it changed in many cases.
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
June 19, 2004 4:19:05 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

Chelvam wrote:

> "Harry" <A@A.A> wrote in message
> news:48q5d0tl1upn77uiefftcgi9rtoo9095ev@4ax.com...
>
>>I bought a Sony CRX320E here in the UK and it is the best. Worked
>>first time with XP and I have never had a disc fail to burn. Music CDs
>>are a doddle too!
>>
>>It writes at 40x and can also read DVDs
>>
>>It cost me £30
>>
>>I see its listed in Ebuyer.com for $50
>>
>
> http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/products/index.html?acti...
> 92ZXJ2aWV3&product_uid=130277
>
>>cheers
>>
>>Harry
>
>
> Thanks Harry, I spent a fortune on the DVD drive and realised I can't burn
> CD. Then I bought a cheap writer and found that the audio cd copies are not
> that great.
>
> Some say i should get a good writer. Some say it should not make any
> difference. rather confused because my copies are definetely not as good as
> my original.

Not as good in what way? They're digital and the copy is exactly the same,
unless you're doing some kind of 'translation' into a different format/bit
rate, but then that's not the burner's problem.

If you're having reader problems, or dropouts and skips, then it's more
likely to be the media. Are you using audio CD blanks or plain CD-Rs?

>
> Regards.
>
>
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
June 19, 2004 4:19:39 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

"Chelvam" <chelvam@myjaring.net> wrote in message news:<caun5v$hp1$1@news4.jaring.my>...
>
> Can you guys tell me the a good CD burner to burn perfect
> audio cds. Price range is about US100.

Probably a Lite-On, TEAC, or Sanyo, but I just buy whatever is on
sale, often for $0-20, after rebate, and prices at local stores are
listed at www.salescircular.com (but they miss many Fry's specials).
The brands featured are typically Mad Dog or Khypermedia, which merely
market drives made by other companies, usually BTC, Optirite, BenQ, or
Lite-On, and some people can tell which brand is inside by looking at
the serial number printed on the box (Fatwallet.com, Anandtech.com
buying forums), and "LTR" indicates Lite-On.

www.cdrinfo.com has reviews of CD and DVD drives and performs
extensive tests on them. Creating perfect audio CDs isn't as
difficult as reading copy-protected disks, which some models do better
than others.
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
June 19, 2004 6:59:57 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

"David Maynard" <dNOTmayn@ev1.net> wrote in message
news:10d7j67h59au28e@corp.supernews.com...
Chelvam wrote:

...(snip..snip).

>If you're having reader problems, or dropouts and skips, then it's more
>likely to be the media. Are you using audio CD blanks or plain CD-Rs?

You mean there is such thing as audio CD blanks? Thanks alot, been using
plain CD-R.

Too old to keep with tech, i guess.
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
June 19, 2004 6:59:58 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

On Sat, 19 Jun 2004 14:59:57 +0800, "Chelvam" <chelvam@myjaring.net>
wrote:

>
>"David Maynard" <dNOTmayn@ev1.net> wrote in message
>news:10d7j67h59au28e@corp.supernews.com...
>Chelvam wrote:
>
>..(snip..snip).
>
>>If you're having reader problems, or dropouts and skips, then it's more
>>likely to be the media. Are you using audio CD blanks or plain CD-Rs?
>
>You mean there is such thing as audio CD blanks? Thanks alot, been using
>plain CD-R.
>
>Too old to keep with tech, i guess.
>
Don't waste your money on audio CD-R's. They are for stand alone
CD recorders and they cost more.
Just try different brands of media till you find one that works well
with your burner. You can probably ask a few friends to borrow a
couple of disks from them to save on the cost of the experiment.
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
June 19, 2004 8:44:53 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

"Chelvam" <chelvam@myjaring.net> said:

> Some say i should get a good writer. Some say it should not make any
> difference. rather confused because my copies are definetely not as
> good as my original.

You want a writer that can do digital audio extraction, I thought all
writers now have that capability, but early ones didn't. Early writers
would essentially record audio, converting it to analog and then back to
digital resulting in a slight generational loss of quality. I have some cd
rips that are too midrangy for my tastes. These days I just rip to MP3
which I play in the truck and keep the CDs in the house, often I play MP3s
in the house and don't even bother with CDs.

http://teamcombooks.com/mp3handbook/15.htm
--
Mac Cool
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
June 20, 2004 4:15:40 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

Chelvam wrote:

> "David Maynard" <dNOTmayn@ev1.net> wrote in message
> news:10d7j67h59au28e@corp.supernews.com...
> Chelvam wrote:
>
> ..(snip..snip).
>
>
>>If you're having reader problems, or dropouts and skips, then it's more
>>likely to be the media. Are you using audio CD blanks or plain CD-Rs?
>
>
> You mean there is such thing as audio CD blanks? Thanks alot, been using
> plain CD-R.

Yes. It shouldn't make a difference when playing back on the computer but
audio CD players use a different wavelength laser diode and the audio CD
blanks use a different dye to better accommodate them.

>
> Too old to keep with tech, i guess.

Not really. It seems to be one of the better kept secrets and even in a so
called 'computer store' none of the clerks I've run into have a clue what
the reason for them is.
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
June 20, 2004 12:53:49 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

Thank you, everyone. I managed to get it right.

Cheers.
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
June 20, 2004 5:43:02 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

>
> Not really. It seems to be one of the better kept secrets and even in a so
> called 'computer store' none of the clerks I've run into have a clue what
> the reason for them is.
>

I am not sure what the status is now but when the first Audio CDs came out
they had a special track on them. This was suspose to be a surcharge for
them that was to go to the recording industry so the artists could be paid
for their songs. YOu had to use them in special duplicating machines.
Most computer cdrw drives would not write to them.
June 20, 2004 5:57:35 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

On Sun, 20 Jun 2004 00:15:40 -0500, David Maynard <dNOTmayn@ev1.net> wrote:

>Chelvam wrote:
>
>> "David Maynard" <dNOTmayn@ev1.net> wrote in message
>> news:10d7j67h59au28e@corp.supernews.com...
>> Chelvam wrote:
>>
>> ..(snip..snip).
>>
>>
>>>If you're having reader problems, or dropouts and skips, then it's more
>>>likely to be the media. Are you using audio CD blanks or plain CD-Rs?
>>
>>
>> You mean there is such thing as audio CD blanks? Thanks alot, been using
>> plain CD-R.
>
>Yes. It shouldn't make a difference when playing back on the computer but
>audio CD players use a different wavelength laser diode and the audio CD
>blanks use a different dye to better accommodate them.
>
>>
>> Too old to keep with tech, i guess.
>
>Not really. It seems to be one of the better kept secrets and even in a so
>called 'computer store' none of the clerks I've run into have a clue what
>the reason for them is.
>

The reason is not the Dye, it is for the extra TAX added on to the CD/R
audio disks, so they will legally run in the stand alone audio cd copiers.
The stand alone copiers read the code from the CD/R and if it is not an
"audio" cd/r, they will not use it.

JT
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
June 20, 2004 9:34:12 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

"David Maynard" <dNOTmayn@ev1.net> wrote in message
news:10da7blntilsv9a@corp.supernews.com...
> Chelvam wrote:


(snip..snip)

> Yes. It shouldn't make a difference when playing back on the computer but
> audio CD players use a different wavelength laser diode and the audio CD
> blanks use a different dye to better accommodate them.

Are you telling that a burned audio cd and cd-r using a PC sounds different
when playing in home cd player?


> >
> > Too old to keep with tech, i guess.
>
> Not really. It seems to be one of the better kept secrets and even in a so
> called 'computer store' none of the clerks I've run into have a clue what
> the reason for them is.
>
>
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
June 20, 2004 9:34:13 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

Chelvam wrote:

> "David Maynard" <dNOTmayn@ev1.net> wrote in message
> news:10da7blntilsv9a@corp.supernews.com...
>
>>Chelvam wrote:
>
>
>
> (snip..snip)
>
>
>>Yes. It shouldn't make a difference when playing back on the computer but
>>audio CD players use a different wavelength laser diode and the audio CD
>>blanks use a different dye to better accommodate them.
>
>
> Are you telling that a burned audio cd and cd-r using a PC sounds different
> when playing in home cd player?

If it plays in the home CD player it should sound the same but some home
players won't play them (usually older ones) and if they do there may be
places where it drops out or skips.


What did you find as 'the problem'?


>
>>>Too old to keep with tech, i guess.
>>
>>Not really. It seems to be one of the better kept secrets and even in a so
>>called 'computer store' none of the clerks I've run into have a clue what
>>the reason for them is.
>>
>>
>
>
>
June 21, 2004 12:10:48 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

On Sun, 20 Jun 2004 00:15:40 -0500, David Maynard <dNOTmayn@ev1.net>
tortured a bunch of electrons for some unknown reason:

>Chelvam wrote:
>
>> "David Maynard" <dNOTmayn@ev1.net> wrote in message
>> news:10d7j67h59au28e@corp.supernews.com...
>> Chelvam wrote:
>>
>> ..(snip..snip).
>>
>>
>>>If you're having reader problems, or dropouts and skips, then it's more
>>>likely to be the media. Are you using audio CD blanks or plain CD-Rs?
>>
>>
>> You mean there is such thing as audio CD blanks? Thanks alot, been using
>> plain CD-R.
>
>Yes. It shouldn't make a difference when playing back on the computer but
>audio CD players use a different wavelength laser diode and the audio CD
>blanks use a different dye to better accommodate them.
>

The audio cdr discs have a certain data bit set on the disc. Data
cdrs don't have this bit set. That is the only difference.

Audio cdrs usually cost more due to the added on copyright tax the
RIAA had added on.

Stephen


--
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
June 21, 2004 1:18:34 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

"David Maynard" <dNOTmayn@ev1.net> wrote in message
news:10daoene979b53c@corp.supernews.com...
> Chelvam wrote:
>
> > "David Maynard" <dNOTmayn@ev1.net> wrote in message
> > news:10da7blntilsv9a@corp.supernews.com...
> >
>
plays in the home CD player it should sound the same but some home
> players won't play them (usually older ones) and if they do there may be
> places where it drops out or skips.
>
>
> What did you find as 'the problem'?

My problem was the sound is rather thin compared to the original. But I
tried one more copy using the lowest burn speed and it seemed to be alright.
!