How to reformat my ZIP 100 disks?

I have several ZIP 100 disks that I used on my PC when I had Win 98. I
had compressed them all. I am trying to use them again in my USB ZIP 250
drive on my current WinXP machine, and they are unuseable. Win XP has no
way to mount them I suppose. And when I click on PROPERTIES (of the ZIP
DRIVE volume), there is no option to just reformat them. Partition Magic 8
will not detect and show a ZIP drive volume either. I kind of need them as
my secondary Win XP machine is using the older original ZIP 100 drive. ANy
way to get them useable again?

jad

password protected? zipware loaded?

"Jim Caldwell" <jamesw@grandecom.net> wrote in message
> I have several ZIP 100 disks that I used on my PC when I had
Win 98. I
> had compressed them all. I am trying to use them again in my USB
ZIP 250
> drive on my current WinXP machine, and they are unuseable. Win XP
has no
> way to mount them I suppose. And when I click on PROPERTIES (of the
ZIP
> DRIVE volume), there is no option to just reformat them. Partition
Magic 8
> will not detect and show a ZIP drive volume either. I kind of need
them as
> my secondary Win XP machine is using the older original ZIP 100
drive. ANy
> way to get them useable again?

patch

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2001

"Jim Caldwell" <jamesw@grandecom.net> wrote in message
> I have several ZIP 100 disks that I used on my PC when I had Win 98.
> had compressed them all. I am trying to use them again in my USB ZIP 250
> drive on my current WinXP machine, and they are unuseable. Win XP has no
> way to mount them I suppose. And when I click on PROPERTIES (of the ZIP
> DRIVE volume), there is no option to just reformat them. Partition Magic 8
> will not detect and show a ZIP drive volume either. I kind of need them
as
> my secondary Win XP machine is using the older original ZIP 100 drive.
ANy
> way to get them useable again?

Visit the folks at "alt.iomega.zip.jazz" newsgroup, I'm sure they can help.

> I have several ZIP 100 disks that I used on my PC when I had Win 98.
> had compressed them all. I am trying to use them again in my USB ZIP 250
> drive on my current WinXP machine, and they are unuseable. Win XP has no
> way to mount them I suppose. And when I click on PROPERTIES (of the ZIP
> DRIVE volume), there is no option to just reformat them. Partition Magic 8
> will not detect and show a ZIP drive volume either. I kind of need them
as
> my secondary Win XP machine is using the older original ZIP 100 drive.
ANy
> way to get them useable again?

You can get the latest version of iomegaware here:
http://www.iomega.com/software/ioware402pc.html

Install it, open it, connect your and insert your disk. When the disk is
inserted, you should see choices light up that were grayed out with no disk
inserted. One of them should be "format disk".

On Fri, 18 Jun 2004 15:52:08 -0400, "David Besack"
<daveREMOVEbesack@mac.com> wrote:

>>> I have several ZIP 100 disks that I used on my PC when I had Win 98.
>>> had compressed them all. I am trying to use them again in my USB ZIP 250
>>> drive on my current WinXP machine, and they are unuseable.

You're not trying to use ZIP 100 disks on a ZIP 250 machine, are you??
I don't think the two are compatible. You need a ZIP 100 machine to
run ZIP 100 disks. But I could be wrong!

XP is only compatible with NTFS file compression, so it can't read Win98
compressed drives.

I'm unsure, but I think that a 250 MB Zip drive can't format a 100 MB
cartridge, although it can read and write to one.

I suggest formatting them in the machine with a Zip 100 drive.

I use an internal IDE Zip 100 drive under XP. I don't use it much, but it
works. I don't have the Iomega software installed, as I have never used the
soft write protection feature. (I vaguely recall that Iomega claims that
their utility is superior for formatting disks, but I've had no trouble just
using the Windows utility.)

HTH.

Bob Knowlden