Ip Address Not Renewing

Ok. I'm in deep.

So, my desktop has recently stopped connecting to the network Yayy. It's a
woreless network, basic stuff here. Everything's connected, but I just can't
get it to work. My other computers will connect to the network, and they get
their ip addresses assigned, but that computer simply can't. I tell it to
repair, and it does disable and enable the network adapter, but it won't
connect to the network after that to get its ip address. I've been trying to
assign it in other ways- setting the ip with the TCP/IP Service Properties
through the Alternate Settings Tab. Also, and this is the oddest thing,
ipconfig in the Command Prompt brings up

"An Internal Error has occured: the request is not supported.

Please contact Microsoft Product Services for further help.

Additional information: Unable to query a host name."

Another odd thing: I can't start up Windows Firewall. It says it can't open
up (ICS)/Windows Firewall. Think the problems might be connected?

Thank You for all your help.

I am experienceing the same issues on my one machine in the wireless network.
My ISP has sent me a new host port, but that doesn't fix it. I can ping
external addresses to my network but the IP will not renew? I can see data
being sent on the port but nothing ever comes back. Jeff M.

"Seth Thompson" wrote:

> Ok. I'm in deep.
>
> So, my desktop has recently stopped connecting to the network Yayy. It's a
> woreless network, basic stuff here. Everything's connected, but I just can't
> get it to work. My other computers will connect to the network, and they get
> their ip addresses assigned, but that computer simply can't. I tell it to
> repair, and it does disable and enable the network adapter, but it won't
> connect to the network after that to get its ip address. I've been trying to
> assign it in other ways- setting the ip with the TCP/IP Service Properties
> through the Alternate Settings Tab. Also, and this is the oddest thing,
> ipconfig in the Command Prompt brings up
>
> "An Internal Error has occured: the request is not supported.
>
> Please contact Microsoft Product Services for further help.
>
> Additional information: Unable to query a host name."
>
> Another odd thing: I can't start up Windows Firewall. It says it can't open
> up (ICS)/Windows Firewall. Think the problems might be connected?
>
> Thank You for all your help.

Clark

Distinguished
May 19, 2004

Just for more information, can you try pinging 127.0.0.1, and your own
address, and the router to see what you get?

Are the other computers also wireless?

It sounds like you have Windows firewall turned off, but if not, do so.
Turning off all the security you can will eliminate possible causes. If you
look at the details when you have the wireless connection highlighted, what
do they say: IP address of: xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx assigned by what?

I am starting to think some update has been done that is messing up some
wireless networks because there are so many folks having your type of
problem. Maybe we will find out soon.

Clark

"Seth Thompson" <SethThompson@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Ok. I'm in deep.
>
> So, my desktop has recently stopped connecting to the network Yayy. It's a
> woreless network, basic stuff here. Everything's connected, but I just
> can't
> get it to work. My other computers will connect to the network, and they
> get
> their ip addresses assigned, but that computer simply can't. I tell it to
> repair, and it does disable and enable the network adapter, but it won't
> connect to the network after that to get its ip address. I've been trying
> assign it in other ways- setting the ip with the TCP/IP Service Properties
> through the Alternate Settings Tab. Also, and this is the oddest thing,
> ipconfig in the Command Prompt brings up
>
> "An Internal Error has occured: the request is not supported.
>
> Please contact Microsoft Product Services for further help.
>
> Additional information: Unable to query a host name."
>
> Another odd thing: I can't start up Windows Firewall. It says it can't
> open
> up (ICS)/Windows Firewall. Think the problems might be connected?
>
> Thank You for all your help.

It says error code 2.

Nothing else.

It can't get to the network, although it sees it.

Clark

Distinguished
May 19, 2004

Just for the heck of it, does anyone have the KB826942 Wireless rollup
hotfix installed? You might be able to tell from the add/remove programs
area if you include updates, or check this registry entry: Maybe we can
find something in common with all these wireless problems.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Updates\Windows XP\SP2\KB826942

Clark

"Jeff M." <Jeff M.@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I am experienceing the same issues on my one machine in the wireless
>network.
> My ISP has sent me a new host port, but that doesn't fix it. I can ping
> external addresses to my network but the IP will not renew? I can see data
> being sent on the port but nothing ever comes back. Jeff M.
>
> "Seth Thompson" wrote:
>
>> Ok. I'm in deep.
>>
>> So, my desktop has recently stopped connecting to the network Yayy. It's
>> woreless network, basic stuff here. Everything's connected, but I just
>> can't
>> get it to work. My other computers will connect to the network, and they
>> get
>> their ip addresses assigned, but that computer simply can't. I tell it to
>> repair, and it does disable and enable the network adapter, but it won't
>> connect to the network after that to get its ip address. I've been trying
>> assign it in other ways- setting the ip with the TCP/IP Service
>> Properties
>> through the Alternate Settings Tab. Also, and this is the oddest thing,
>> ipconfig in the Command Prompt brings up
>>
>> "An Internal Error has occured: the request is not supported.
>>
>> Please contact Microsoft Product Services for further help.
>>
>> Additional information: Unable to query a host name."
>>
>> Another odd thing: I can't start up Windows Firewall. It says it can't
>> open
>> up (ICS)/Windows Firewall. Think the problems might be connected?
>>
>> Thank You for all your help.

My laptop won't connect to the router any longer, after installing the
hotfixes etc on my XP SP2. The router is still functioning (I can
connect from another PC).

I can see the wireless network (this hasn't changed), but it seems the
laptop doesn't transmit anything (the MAC address doesn't show up in
the router log).

I changed the PCMCIA card, but got the same results (receive only). I
removed my Kerio PFW, and tried to remove some of the hot-fixes, but
without result. I'll check the KB26942 tonight, but has this been
rolled out lately?

Martijn

My laptop won't connect to the router any longer, after installing the
hotfixes etc on my XP SP2. The router is still functioning (I can
connect from another PC).

I can see the wireless network (this hasn't changed), but it seems the
laptop doesn't transmit anything (the MAC address doesn't show up in
the router log).

I changed the PCMCIA card, but got the same results (receive only). I
removed my Kerio PFW, and tried to remove some of the hot-fixes, but
without result. I'll check the KB26942 tonight, but has this been
rolled out lately?

Martijn

No, it seems I do not have that hotfix installed. There is only one
hotfix in the SP2 branch, and under SP3 the lowest number hotfix is
KB34707.