Epson 2200 Black Ink Question

I just got this printer and am still getting used to it. This is also my
first printer that uses separate inks for each color.

My printer shipped with the Photo Black cartridge, but I also ordered the
Matte Black. My questions are:

1) should I flush the black when I change between the two types?

2) since the majority of my color printing is on plain paper, should I
stay with the Matte Black most
of the time and change to the Photo Black for glossy and high
quality (coated) paper?

In article <msKdndMIHu--h6rcRVn-vg@adelphia.com>, xDsrtRat@sonora.com
(xDsrtRat) wrote:

> 1) should I flush the black when I change between the two types?

No. The printer will automatically run a charging/cleaning cycle when you
put in a new cartridge.

> 2) since the majority of my color printing is on plain paper,
> should I stay with the Matte Black most of the time and change to the
> Photo Black for glossy and high quality (coated) paper?

The photo black has worked fine on all the papers I've used it on.

Jon.

"Jon O'Brien" <Jon@NOonlySPAMbrowsingTHANX.com> wrote in message
> In article <msKdndMIHu--h6rcRVn-vg@adelphia.com>, xDsrtRat@sonora.com
> (xDsrtRat) wrote:
>
> > 1) should I flush the black when I change between the two types?
>
> No. The printer will automatically run a charging/cleaning cycle when you
> put in a new cartridge.
>
> > 2) since the majority of my color printing is on plain paper,
> > should I stay with the Matte Black most of the time and change to the
> > Photo Black for glossy and high quality (coated) paper?
>
> The photo black has worked fine on all the papers I've used it on.
>
> Jon.

Thanks, Jon.

I've been pleased with the results of the Photo Black too, but that leaves
me wondering why Epson has the Matte Black available. Since I have the extra
cartridge, I may try the same print on the same plain paper using the two
different blacks and compare.

In article <UJKdnatZ8Pue1KXcRVn-pw@adelphia.com>, xDsrtRat@sonora.com
(xDsrtRat) wrote:

> I've been pleased with the results of the Photo Black too, but that
> leaves me wondering why Epson has the Matte Black available.

Me too. The photo black gives much better results on Archival Matte and
Hahnemuhle Photo Rag than the matte black, in my opinion.

Jon.

As Jon stated, the printer purges the head when the type of ink is
changed in the black slot. Be aware that since the printer has only one
cleaning/purging station for all colors, that all the heads are purged
at the same time which leads to some ink loss in every cartridge.
Although it is nothing like the amount of ink that is purged in the wide
carriage models which need to purge a long length of hose (in their case
about $150 worth of ink is drained each time a person changes black
type), I would still suggest that you keep the switching between these
two black inks to the minimum you can cope with, or your ink usage will
increase with the exchange of the black inks.

Art

Jon O'Brien wrote:

> In article <msKdndMIHu--h6rcRVn-vg@adelphia.com>, xDsrtRat@sonora.com
> (xDsrtRat) wrote:
>

>>1) should I flush the black when I change between the two types?
>

> No. The printer will automatically run a charging/cleaning cycle when you
> put in a new cartridge.
>

>>2) since the majority of my color printing is on plain paper,
>>should I stay with the Matte Black most of the time and change to the
>>Photo Black for glossy and high quality (coated) paper?
>

> The photo black has worked fine on all the papers I've used it on.
>
> Jon.

The matte black has a higher density black and it is non-glossy for use
on very matte paper surfaces. Some people find the photo black is not
dense enough when used with the more absorbent matte art papers.

Art