can not share printer between xp pro and xp home

Last response: in Wireless Networking
a b F Wireless
June 23, 2005 7:36:02 AM

Hi I have xp home on my hard wire desktop and wireless on my laptops but
running xp pro. I can not get the puters to see each other or share the
printer. I have gone through all of the networking setups for the puters and
tried adding the printer via the "add printer" still nothing. Can anyone
tell me what I'm doing wrong.

thank you

More about : share printer pro home

June 23, 2005 1:45:55 PM

Do you have file & printer sharing enabled? Did you share the printer as well
as individual files on the network? XP requires you to share individual files
& printers by right clicking on each and selecting Sharing & security. Look
up 'Share printer' in Help to see what steps you missed. Make sure the
connected computer & printer are both on.
"Dorothy Napier" wrote:

> Hi I have xp home on my hard wire desktop and wireless on my laptops but
> running xp pro. I can not get the puters to see each other or share the
> printer. I have gone through all of the networking setups for the puters and
> tried adding the printer via the "add printer" still nothing. Can anyone
> tell me what I'm doing wrong.
>
> thank you
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
June 24, 2005 8:45:02 PM

Hi Mary,

Thank you for responding. I do have file and printer sharing enabled on
both computer. I can get the two windows home versions to see each other and
share printers but I can't get the xp and the home to see each other.

"Mary" wrote:

> Do you have file & printer sharing enabled? Did you share the printer as well
> as individual files on the network? XP requires you to share individual files
> & printers by right clicking on each and selecting Sharing & security. Look
> up 'Share printer' in Help to see what steps you missed. Make sure the
> connected computer & printer are both on.
> "Dorothy Napier" wrote:
>
> > Hi I have xp home on my hard wire desktop and wireless on my laptops but
> > running xp pro. I can not get the puters to see each other or share the
> > printer. I have gone through all of the networking setups for the puters and
> > tried adding the printer via the "add printer" still nothing. Can anyone
> > tell me what I'm doing wrong.
> >
> > thank you
Related resources
June 25, 2005 7:47:01 PM

I had exactly the same issue.
I never really solved it "properly" as such, but found a work around on my
system.
The computer sharing was on XP Home, the one trying to access was XP Pro.
Everytime i tried to browse to the printer, it would come up access denied.
I tried typing the location of the printer (\\computername\printername)
directly into the add network printer box when it asks for the location, and
it worked!

"Dorothy Napier" wrote:

> Hi Mary,
>
> Thank you for responding. I do have file and printer sharing enabled on
> both computer. I can get the two windows home versions to see each other and
> share printers but I can't get the xp and the home to see each other.
>
> "Mary" wrote:
>
> > Do you have file & printer sharing enabled? Did you share the printer as well
> > as individual files on the network? XP requires you to share individual files
> > & printers by right clicking on each and selecting Sharing & security. Look
> > up 'Share printer' in Help to see what steps you missed. Make sure the
> > connected computer & printer are both on.
> > "Dorothy Napier" wrote:
> >
> > > Hi I have xp home on my hard wire desktop and wireless on my laptops but
> > > running xp pro. I can not get the puters to see each other or share the
> > > printer. I have gone through all of the networking setups for the puters and
> > > tried adding the printer via the "add printer" still nothing. Can anyone
> > > tell me what I'm doing wrong.
> > >
> > > thank you
June 25, 2005 10:25:02 PM

On Fri, 24 Jun 2005 16:45:02 -0700, "Dorothy Napier" <Dorothy
Napier@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>Hi Mary,
>
>Thank you for responding. I do have file and printer sharing enabled on
>both computer. I can get the two windows home versions to see each other and
>share printers but I can't get the xp and the home to see each other.
>
>"Mary" wrote:
>
>> Do you have file & printer sharing enabled? Did you share the printer as well
>> as individual files on the network? XP requires you to share individual files
>> & printers by right clicking on each and selecting Sharing & security. Look
>> up 'Share printer' in Help to see what steps you missed. Make sure the
>> connected computer & printer are both on.
>> "Dorothy Napier" wrote:
>>
>> > Hi I have xp home on my hard wire desktop and wireless on my laptops but
>> > running xp pro. I can not get the puters to see each other or share the
>> > printer. I have gone through all of the networking setups for the puters and
>> > tried adding the printer via the "add printer" still nothing. Can anyone
>> > tell me what I'm doing wrong.
>> >
>> > thank you

Dorothy,

This problem comes up frequently in Windows Networking. It is most frequently
caused by one of two possible problems - a browser conflict, and a misconfigured
or overlooked firewall.

Check for a browser conflict using browstat, run on both computers.
<http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/05/browstat-utility-...;

Look for misconfigured or overlooked firewalls.
<http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/05/your-personal-fir...;

General troubleshooting for Network Neighborhood problems.
<http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/05/troubleshooting-n...;

--
Cheers,
Chuck

Chuck,

Thank you for your response but it made no sense to me,neither did the
articles you sent me to. Why is xp so difficult to use?

"Chuck" wrote:

> On Fri, 24 Jun 2005 16:45:02 -0700, "Dorothy Napier" <Dorothy
> Napier@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> >Hi Mary,
> >
> >Thank you for responding. I do have file and printer sharing enabled on
> >both computer. I can get the two windows home versions to see each other and
> >share printers but I can't get the xp and the home to see each other.
> >
> >"Mary" wrote:
> >
> >> Do you have file & printer sharing enabled? Did you share the printer as well
> >> as individual files on the network? XP requires you to share individual files
> >> & printers by right clicking on each and selecting Sharing & security. Look
> >> up 'Share printer' in Help to see what steps you missed. Make sure the
> >> connected computer & printer are both on.

> Dorothy,
>
> This problem comes up frequently in Windows Networking. It is most frequently
> caused by one of two possible problems - a browser conflict, and a misconfigured
> or overlooked firewall.
>
> Check for a browser conflict using browstat, run on both computers.
> <http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/05/browstat-utility-...;
>
> Look for misconfigured or overlooked firewalls.
> <http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/05/your-personal-fir...;
>
> General troubleshooting for Network Neighborhood problems.
> <http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/05/troubleshooting-n...;
>
> --
> Cheers,
> Chuck
> http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/
> Paranoia is not a problem - it's a normal response from experience.
> My email is AT DOT
> actual address pchuck sonic net.

June 27, 2005 9:05:04 PM

On Mon, 27 Jun 2005 14:37:03 -0700, "Dorothy Napier" <Dorothy
Napier@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>"Chuck" wrote:
>
>> On Fri, 24 Jun 2005 16:45:02 -0700, "Dorothy Napier" <Dorothy
>> Napier@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>>
>> >Hi Mary,
>> >
>> >Thank you for responding. I do have file and printer sharing enabled on
>> >both computer. I can get the two windows home versions to see each other and
>> >share printers but I can't get the xp and the home to see each other.

>> Dorothy,
>>
>> This problem comes up frequently in Windows Networking. It is most frequently
>> caused by one of two possible problems - a browser conflict, and a misconfigured
>> or overlooked firewall.
>>
>> Check for a browser conflict using browstat, run on both computers.
>> <http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/05/browstat-utility-...;
>>
>> Look for misconfigured or overlooked firewalls.
>> <http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/05/your-personal-fir...;
>>
>> General troubleshooting for Network Neighborhood problems.
>> <http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/05/troubleshooting-n...;

>Chuck,
>
>Thank you for your response but it made no sense to me,neither did the
>articles you sent me to. Why is xp so difficult to use?

Dorothy,

You do have to have a small amount of technical background to work on Windows
XP. There are many reasons why XP is so difficult to use. One is that Windows
XP is supposed to be the merge between the Windows 9x operating systems and the
Windows NT operating systems. In making it interoperable with both, it becomes
difficult with either.

That said, I'll try to help you with your problem, but you'll have to work with
me.

Let's start with the browser issue. See if you can run "browstat status" on
both computers.
# Type "ipconfig /all >c:\ipconfig.txt" (less the "") into a command window.
# Open Notepad, and make sure that Format - Word Wrap is NOT checked!.
# Open file c:\ipconfig.txt from Notepad.
# Copy and paste entire contents of the file into your next message.

Do you know how to open a command window?
# Hit the Start button.
# Hit the Run selection.
# Type "cmd" into the Run window (less the ""), and hit Enter.
# Now type whatever you need, at the command prompt in the window that just
opened, and close the window when convenient.

--
Cheers,
Chuck
http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/
Paranoia is not a problem - it's a normal response from experience.
My email is AT DOT
actual address pchuck sonic net.
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
June 27, 2005 11:47:03 PM

on the laptop which is running xp Pro:
Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : toshibaden

Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :

IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Ethernet adapter Wireless Network Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Toshiba Wireless LAN Mini PCI Card

Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-02-2D-87-79-04

Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes

Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes

205.152.144.23

Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Monday, June 27, 2005 1:52:42 PM

Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Monday, August 08, 2005 5:52:42 AM

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Intel(R) PRO/100 VE Network
Connection

Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-00-39-C4-FA-F3

on the desktop that is running xp home:

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : DEN

Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :

IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Ethernet adapter mshome:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : VIA Rhine III Fast Ethernet
Adapter

Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-11-09-6F-56-05

Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes

Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes

205.152.144.23

Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Monday, June 27, 2005 6:14:00 PM

Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Tuesday, June 28, 2005 6:14:00 PM

"Chuck" wrote:

> On Mon, 27 Jun 2005 14:37:03 -0700, "Dorothy Napier" <Dorothy
> Napier@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>

> >> Dorothy,
> >>
> >> This problem comes up frequently in Windows Networking. It is most frequently
> >> caused by one of two possible problems - a browser conflict, and a misconfigured
> >> or overlooked firewall.
> >>
> >> Check for a browser conflict using browstat, run on both computers.
> >> <http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/05/browstat-utility-...;
> >>
> >> Look for misconfigured or overlooked firewalls.
> >> <http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/05/your-personal-fir...;
> >>
> >> General troubleshooting for Network Neighborhood problems.
> >> <http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/05/troubleshooting-n...;
>
> >Chuck,
> >
> >Thank you for your response but it made no sense to me,neither did the
> >articles you sent me to. Why is xp so difficult to use?
>
> Dorothy,
>
> You do have to have a small amount of technical background to work on Windows
> XP. There are many reasons why XP is so difficult to use. One is that Windows
> XP is supposed to be the merge between the Windows 9x operating systems and the
> Windows NT operating systems. In making it interoperable with both, it becomes
> difficult with either.
>
> That said, I'll try to help you with your problem, but you'll have to work with
> me.
>
> Let's start with the browser issue. See if you can run "browstat status" on
> both computers.
> # Type "ipconfig /all >c:\ipconfig.txt" (less the "") into a command window.
> # Open Notepad, and make sure that Format - Word Wrap is NOT checked!.
> # Open file c:\ipconfig.txt from Notepad.
> # Copy and paste entire contents of the file into your next message.
>
> Do you know how to open a command window?
> # Hit the Start button.
> # Hit the Run selection.
> # Type "cmd" into the Run window (less the ""), and hit Enter.
> # Now type whatever you need, at the command prompt in the window that just
> opened, and close the window when convenient.
>
> --
> Cheers,
> Chuck
> http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/
> Paranoia is not a problem - it's a normal response from experience.
> My email is AT DOT
> actual address pchuck sonic net.

Anonymous
a b F Wireless
June 27, 2005 11:53:02 PM

when we run the browstat status, on the laptop I get: browins is active on
domain, but on the desktop I get: Master name can not be deteremined from
getadapter status. using\\den master browser is running build 2600.
According to what I've read, my computers are trying to both be the boss?
LOL!!! and gee here I thought I was the boss!

"Chuck" wrote:

> On Mon, 27 Jun 2005 14:37:03 -0700, "Dorothy Napier" <Dorothy
> Napier@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> >"Chuck" wrote:

> >> Dorothy,
> >>
> >> This problem comes up frequently in Windows Networking. It is most frequently
> >> caused by one of two possible problems - a browser conflict, and a misconfigured
> >> or overlooked firewall.
> >>
> >> Check for a browser conflict using browstat, run on both computers.
> >> <http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/05/browstat-utility-...;
> >>
> >> Look for misconfigured or overlooked firewalls.
> >> <http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/05/your-personal-fir...;
> >>
> >> General troubleshooting for Network Neighborhood problems.
> >> <http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/05/troubleshooting-n...;
>
> >Chuck,
> >
> >Thank you for your response but it made no sense to me,neither did the
> >articles you sent me to. Why is xp so difficult to use?
>
> Dorothy,
>
> You do have to have a small amount of technical background to work on Windows
> XP. There are many reasons why XP is so difficult to use. One is that Windows
> XP is supposed to be the merge between the Windows 9x operating systems and the
> Windows NT operating systems. In making it interoperable with both, it becomes
> difficult with either.
>
> That said, I'll try to help you with your problem, but you'll have to work with
> me.
>
> Let's start with the browser issue. See if you can run "browstat status" on
> both computers.
> # Type "ipconfig /all >c:\ipconfig.txt" (less the "") into a command window.
> # Open Notepad, and make sure that Format - Word Wrap is NOT checked!.
> # Open file c:\ipconfig.txt from Notepad.
> # Copy and paste entire contents of the file into your next message.
>
> Do you know how to open a command window?
> # Hit the Start button.
> # Hit the Run selection.
> # Type "cmd" into the Run window (less the ""), and hit Enter.
> # Now type whatever you need, at the command prompt in the window that just
> opened, and close the window when convenient.
>
> --
> Cheers,
> Chuck
> http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/
> Paranoia is not a problem - it's a normal response from experience.
> My email is AT DOT
> actual address pchuck sonic net.

June 28, 2005 3:40:01 AM

On Mon, 27 Jun 2005 19:53:02 -0700, "Dorothy Napier"
<DorothyNapier@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>when we run the browstat status, on the laptop I get: browins is active on
>domain, but on the desktop I get: Master name can not be deteremined from
>getadapter status. using\\den master browser is running build 2600.
>According to what I've read, my computers are trying to both be the boss?
>LOL!!! and gee here I thought I was the boss!

Dorothy,

The computers let us think that we're the boss. Silly humans.

OK, back to business. How many computers do you have?
> I can get the two windows home versions to see each other and
> share printers but I can't get the xp and the home to see each other.

What is "the XP"? Do you have 2 XP Home and 1 XP Pro? Is the XP using Simple
or Advanced File Sharing? Are they running XP SP2, or pre-SP2?

What personal firewalls do you have on each computer? Antivirus products?

Can you provide "browstat status" and "ipconfig /all", unedited and
unabbreviated, for all 3 computers? And please describe operating system, as
asked above, for each computer. All of these questions are relevant, and are
necessary to help reach a diagnosis of your problem.

--
Cheers,
Chuck
http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/
Paranoia is not a problem - it's a normal response from experience.
My email is AT DOT
actual address pchuck sonic net.
June 28, 2005 3:47:01 AM

On Mon, 27 Jun 2005 19:47:03 -0700, "Dorothy Napier"
> [...]

>Connection
>
> Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-00-39-C4-FA-F3
>

>on the desktop that is running xp home:
>

>Windows IP Configuration
>

> Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : DEN
>
> Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
>
> Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Unknown

>Ethernet adapter mshome:
>

> Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
>
> Description . . . . . . . . . . . : VIA Rhine III Fast Ethernet
>Adapter
>
> Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-11-09-6F-56-05
>
> Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
>
> Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes

> DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.2.1

> 205.152.144.23
>
> Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Monday, June 27, 2005 6:14:00 PM
>
> Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Tuesday, June 28, 2005 6:14:00 PM

Well, here's a start.

> Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : toshibaden
> DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1

> Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : DEN
> DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.2.1

Those 2 computers are on different subnets. Big problem.

Now we need to step back and have you describe how everything is cabled. Things
like the browser, and name resolution, on small networks, work best with
everything on the same subnet.

--
Cheers,
Chuck