Need a new tower

Adam

Here's my predicament. Have two homes and I'm selling one and moving
permanently to the other. The permanent home has ME and I'm giving
Win98 to my son. I only have 100MB zip and given that I have a lot of
stuff (a lot of pictures and apps), it will take an inordinate amount of
time to copy to zip disks. I
figured that taking the hard drive and installing into ME would do the
trick. Will it? If not, and with many telling me that ME (Dell tower
is about
4 years old) is not the greatest OS, I guess I could buy a new tower
with XP Home loaded on. So, if this is the case and considering that
I'm starting to get into
photography as a hobby, whose tower would be most appropriate in the
$1000 (+/-) range. I'd like to be able to go wireless (maybe in the
future), get a P 4 2.8GHz w/800MHz FSB (or whatever you may suggest),
512MB Dual Channel DDR SDRAM at 400MHz (2x256M), 40-80GB Ultra ATA/100
Hard Drive (7200 RPM), Single Drive: 48x CD-RW / DVD-ROM Combo Drive or
Single Drive: 48x CD-RW / DVD-ROM Combo Drive (which would you
recommend?), 128MB DDR NVIDIA GeForce FX 5200. This is essentially the
Dell Demension 4600 (on sale for $1030, with monitor, mouse, speakers
and keyboard...all of which I don't need). However, I'd consider
whatever similar set up you might recommend, or where to go to have it
built (I'll be in the Boynton Beach area of FL). Thanks,
Adam

--
To email, erase "forgetit"

> Thanks for the info. Looks like your wife got herself a good one.
> However, I may be in the wrong place as I'm not into building my own
> unit. Just wondering where I can go to to get what I want built for me
> at a reasonable price.

In that case, order from Dell, but deliberately buy as little RAM as
possible when you order. That's because Dell Ram is usually about four
times the going rate. Then order more RAM from www.crucial.com For
example, if the minimum amount of RAM available at Dell is 256MB, take that
.. . . but make sure that it comes in ONE stick. Then order a 512MB stick
from Crucial for a total of 768MB, which is reasonable.

If you don't know what kind of RAM to order, don't worry . . . just plug
your system (dell 4600, for example) into the web page at crucial and they
will show you what you need. -Dave

Adam

Dave C. wrote:

>>Thanks for the info. Looks like your wife got herself a good one.
>>However, I may be in the wrong place as I'm not into building my own
>>unit. Just wondering where I can go to to get what I want built for me
>>at a reasonable price.
>>

>In that case, order from Dell, but deliberately buy as little RAM as
>possible when you order. That's because Dell Ram is usually about four
>times the going rate. Then order more RAM from www.crucial.com For
>example, if the minimum amount of RAM available at Dell is 256MB, take that
>. . . but make sure that it comes in ONE stick. Then order a 512MB stick
>from Crucial for a total of 768MB, which is reasonable.
>
>If you don't know what kind of RAM to order, don't worry . . . just plug
>your system (dell 4600, for example) into the web page at crucial and they
>will show you what you need. -Dave

Great idea about ordering reduced RAM. Makes a lot of sense and so
cheap and easy to install.
Adam

--
To email, erase "forgetit"