Is it a software or hardware problem?

Scott

Hi all.
I'm having problems with my setup and I really hope someone can help.
I've recently moved house and had the pc setup and working fine so I
don't think it got knocked around in the move as I was able to watch a few
hours worth of video and edit some photos.
But when I switch it on recently, it will be fine for about 15mins or so
then I hear a click (which sounds more like a clunk) which will make my
screen go blank then I see my pc booting up again. The 'clunk' reminds me of
when I go to turn my pc off through start menu and the power is finally
turned off (by the system).
I tried to do a reinstallation of windows but it then decided to do the same
through the installation.
I have a spare hard drive kicking around somewhere and was going to try
the installation on it and see that it's not the HD that's in it now.
Specs:
1.4Ghz AMD Athlon
160GB HD
640GB Ram
DVD+RW drive
CD-RW drive

Has anyone ever came across this problem before?
The house I've moved to was built in the 1940's so I was wondering could
there be a fault in the electricity supply somewhere? Though nothing else
ever turns itself off.
If it is a hardware problem, is there a way to pinpoint exactly what it is?

Many many thanks.
Scott

"Scott" <pawsandclawsremovethis@btconnect.com> wrote in message
> Hi all.
> I'm having problems with my setup and I really hope someone can help.
> I've recently moved house and had the pc setup and working fine so I
> don't think it got knocked around in the move as I was able to watch a few
> hours worth of video and edit some photos.
> But when I switch it on recently, it will be fine for about 15mins or
so
> then I hear a click (which sounds more like a clunk) which will make my
> screen go blank then I see my pc booting up again. The 'clunk' reminds me
of
> when I go to turn my pc off through start menu and the power is finally
> turned off (by the system).
> I tried to do a reinstallation of windows but it then decided to do the
same
> through the installation.
> I have a spare hard drive kicking around somewhere and was going to
try
> the installation on it and see that it's not the HD that's in it now.
> Specs:
> 1.4Ghz AMD Athlon
> 160GB HD
> 640GB Ram
> DVD+RW drive
> CD-RW drive
>
> Has anyone ever came across this problem before?
> The house I've moved to was built in the 1940's so I was wondering
could
> there be a fault in the electricity supply somewhere? Though nothing else
> ever turns itself off.
> If it is a hardware problem, is there a way to pinpoint exactly what it
is?

> Many many thanks.
> Scott

Your CPU is losing power somehow. Start by opening up the case and
carefully inspecting all cards and connectors to make sure everything is
seated firmly. While you are in there, look for anything that doesn't
belong, such as a loose screw floating around or something like that. Also
check your extra power connectors on the power supply to make sure they
aren't shorting to the case or something. If you don't find anything inside
the PC, it's time to check power. Find a multimeter somewhere and check the
wall current to make sure it is steady as far as both voltage and frequency
goes. If it looks OK, you might want to find a different power supply
somewhere to try that out. -Dave

jad

check the event log and turn off 'reboot on errors' in the bios

"Scott" <pawsandclawsremovethis@btconnect.com> wrote in message
> Hi all.
> I'm having problems with my setup and I really hope someone can
help.
> I've recently moved house and had the pc setup and working fine
so I
> don't think it got knocked around in the move as I was able to watch
a few
> hours worth of video and edit some photos.
> But when I switch it on recently, it will be fine for about
15mins or so
> then I hear a click (which sounds more like a clunk) which will make
my
> screen go blank then I see my pc booting up again. The 'clunk'
reminds me of
> when I go to turn my pc off through start menu and the power is
finally
> turned off (by the system).
> I tried to do a reinstallation of windows but it then decided to do
the same
> through the installation.
> I have a spare hard drive kicking around somewhere and was going
to try
> the installation on it and see that it's not the HD that's in it
now.
> Specs:
> 1.4Ghz AMD Athlon
> 160GB HD
> 640GB Ram
> DVD+RW drive
> CD-RW drive
>
> Has anyone ever came across this problem before?
> The house I've moved to was built in the 1940's so I was
wondering could
> there be a fault in the electricity supply somewhere? Though nothing
else
> ever turns itself off.
> If it is a hardware problem, is there a way to pinpoint exactly what
it is?

> Many many thanks.
> Scott

Scott

"Dave C." <mdupre@sff.net> wrote in message

> "Scott" <pawsandclawsremovethis@btconnect.com> wrote in message
> > Hi all.
> > I'm having problems with my setup and I really hope someone can help.
> > I've recently moved house and had the pc setup and working fine so I
> > don't think it got knocked around in the move as I was able to watch a
few
> > hours worth of video and edit some photos.
> > But when I switch it on recently, it will be fine for about 15mins
or
> so
> > then I hear a click (which sounds more like a clunk) which will make my
> > screen go blank then I see my pc booting up again. The 'clunk' reminds
me
> of
> > when I go to turn my pc off through start menu and the power is finally
> > turned off (by the system).
> > I tried to do a reinstallation of windows but it then decided to do the
> same
> > through the installation.
> > I have a spare hard drive kicking around somewhere and was going to
> try
> > the installation on it and see that it's not the HD that's in it now.
> > Specs:
> > 1.4Ghz AMD Athlon
> > 160GB HD
> > 640GB Ram
> > DVD+RW drive
> > CD-RW drive
> >
> > Has anyone ever came across this problem before?
> > The house I've moved to was built in the 1940's so I was wondering
> could
> > there be a fault in the electricity supply somewhere? Though nothing
else
> > ever turns itself off.
> > If it is a hardware problem, is there a way to pinpoint exactly what it
> is?
> >
> > Many many thanks.
> > Scott
> >

> Your CPU is losing power somehow. Start by opening up the case and
> carefully inspecting all cards and connectors to make sure everything is
> seated firmly. While you are in there, look for anything that doesn't
> belong, such as a loose screw floating around or something like that.
Also
> check your extra power connectors on the power supply to make sure they
> aren't shorting to the case or something. If you don't find anything
inside
> the PC, it's time to check power. Find a multimeter somewhere and check
the
> wall current to make sure it is steady as far as both voltage and
frequency
> goes. If it looks OK, you might want to find a different power supply
> somewhere to try that out. -Dave

Cheers! Will try that tonight.
I posted the question to another group and got this response:

"Sounds like your memory is getting dumped. Have you checked your event
viewer for any errors. To do this, hit Start-Control Panel-Administrative
Tools-Event Viewer-Double Click on System Error Records-Double Click on any
of the errors and then write down the Stop Code and post on this site."

Does this sound like something that would affect it?

Cheers, Scott

> [...]
> inside
> > the PC, it's time to check power. Find a multimeter somewhere and check
> the
> > wall current to make sure it is steady as far as both voltage and
> frequency
> > goes. If it looks OK, you might want to find a different power supply
> > somewhere to try that out. -Dave
> >

> Cheers! Will try that tonight.
> I posted the question to another group and got this response:
>
> "Sounds like your memory is getting dumped. Have you checked your event
> viewer for any errors. To do this, hit Start-Control Panel-Administrative
> Tools-Event Viewer-Double Click on System Error Records-Double Click on
any
> of the errors and then write down the Stop Code and post on this site."
>
> Does this sound like something that would affect it?

I'd start simple. Check the socket your plugging into at the wall.An old
recepepticle can loose its tension, become corroded and not provide a good
connection all the time. Replacing the recepepticle is cheap. Its best to
have a ground wire connected to a real ground not a water pipe. I've had
problems with external modems from lack of correct ground. At the least it
can cause electrical "noise".

"T Shadow" <knone@zilch.com.invalid> wrote in message
> "Scott" <pawsandclawsremovethis@btconnect.com> wrote in message
> >
> > "Dave C." <mdupre@sff.net> wrote in message
> > >
> > > "Scott" <pawsandclawsremovethis@btconnect.com> wrote in message
> > few
> > or
> > > so
> my
> > me
> > > of
> finally
> the
> > > same
> > > try

> > > could
> > else
> it
> > > is?

> > > Your CPU is losing power somehow. Start by opening up the case and
> > > carefully inspecting all cards and connectors to make sure everything
is
> > > seated firmly. While you are in there, look for anything that doesn't
> > > belong, such as a loose screw floating around or something like that.
> > Also
> > > check your extra power connectors on the power supply to make sure
they
> > > aren't shorting to the case or something. If you don't find anything
> > inside
> > > the PC, it's time to check power. Find a multimeter somewhere and
check
> > the
> > > wall current to make sure it is steady as far as both voltage and
> > frequency
> > > goes. If it looks OK, you might want to find a different power supply
> > > somewhere to try that out. -Dave
> > >

> > Cheers! Will try that tonight.
> > I posted the question to another group and got this response:
> >
> > "Sounds like your memory is getting dumped. Have you checked your event
> > viewer for any errors. To do this, hit Start-Control
Panel-Administrative
> > Tools-Event Viewer-Double Click on System Error Records-Double Click on
> any
> > of the errors and then write down the Stop Code and post on this site."
> >
> > Does this sound like something that would affect it?
> >
> > Cheers, Scott
> >

> I'd start simple. Check the socket your plugging into at the wall.An old
> recepepticle can loose its tension, become corroded and not provide a good
> connection all the time. Replacing the recepepticle is cheap. Its best to
> have a ground wire connected to a real ground not a water pipe. I've had
> problems with external modems from lack of correct ground. At the least it
> can cause electrical "noise".

Brainfade
If you have any question of the state of your wiring have it checked out by
a qualified electrician. A situation like I described and others could lead
to a fire.

"Scott" <pawsandclawsremovethis@btconnect.com> said:

> But when I switch it on recently, it will be fine for about 15mins or
> so then I hear a click (which sounds more like a clunk) which will
> make my screen go blank then I see my pc booting up again. The
> 'clunk' reminds me of when I go to turn my pc off through start menu
> and the power is finally turned off (by the system).

That exactly what the clunk is, I suspect it is a hardware failure. Pay
attention to exactly what you, or rather the computer, is doing when it
reboots. It's a good idea to write it down, this will probably give you
a clue

> I tried to do a reinstallation of windows but it then decided to do
> the same through the installation.

> Has anyone ever came across this problem before?

The first two times I had this problem it turned out to be bad video
cards. In the first case a screw fell on the video card and in the
second case I accidently touched the video card with my finger while
trying to feel how hot the heat sink was. In both cases, the cards
worked intermittently and would just sporadically reboot the computer.

The third time I never identified the problem and ended up selling off
the parts and building new.

> The house I've moved to was built in the 1940's so I was wondering
> could there be a fault in the electricity supply somewhere? Though
> nothing else ever turns itself off.

Could be... test per the other recommendations. If you do find
a problem you can probably cure it with a UPS/line conditioner.

> If it is a hardware problem, is there a way to pinpoint exactly what
> it is?

Only trial and error; replace and test, replace and test. The most
important thing is never change more than one thing at a time.
--
Mac Cool

Scott wrote:

> Has anyone ever came across this problem before?
> The house I've moved to was built in the 1940's so I was wondering could
> there be a fault in the electricity supply somewhere? Though nothing else
> ever turns itself off.
> If it is a hardware problem, is there a way to pinpoint exactly what it is?

Possibly overheating?

Check temperature in the BIOS and make sure your fan is pulling in air.

Hi Scott,
PSU? I guess you mean the power supply unit. Yeah, I think a bad power
supply could cause it. Well, not exactly bad, marginal. The mother board
checks the power ready signal that the power supply puts out, and if it is
too low, or isn't there, it will reboot the system. It's looking for at
least 3.6 volts on pin 8 of the 20 pin molex connector that connects the
power supply to the motherboard. It may be that your power supply is
heating up and changing the values of the components that control the power
ready voltage due to a change in their temperature. This is a stretch, but
it's posssible. Usually what happens is the system will reboot when you
click on somehting like the A drive and the added currrent draw is just
enough to drop the power ready voltage signal to where the sytem reboots.

Al