getting ocillating sound if use pci video card

Hi,

I have a system: XP, 256 MB ram, P2 450, nic card, AGP 16MB video, and ISA
creative Labs sound blaster that runs perfectly.

When I swap out the AGP card for a PCI card the speaker gives a steady
beeping sound. I tried 3 different 2 MB video cards. XP found each one and
installed it fine, but each time beeping started from the speakers. It's a
steady beeping sound like somebody was running past a picket fence with a
stick in their hand and let the stick whack each picket as it went by. Or
like the sound a playing card makes when cloths to the fork of a bike and
the spinning spokes hit it.

Any idea what's causing this, and how to fix it?

Thanks

Alex

franky

Distinguished
May 11, 2004

On Tue, 22 Jun 2004 00:05:10 -0400, "-Alby Hewlet" <bogus@nowhere.net>
wrote:

>Hi,
>
>I have a system: XP, 256 MB ram, P2 450, nic card, AGP 16MB video, and ISA
>creative Labs sound blaster that runs perfectly.
>
>When I swap out the AGP card for a PCI card the speaker gives a steady
>beeping sound. I tried 3 different 2 MB video cards. XP found each one and
>installed it fine, but each time beeping started from the speakers. It's a
>steady beeping sound like somebody was running past a picket fence with a
>stick in their hand and let the stick whack each picket as it went by. Or
>like the sound a playing card makes when cloths to the fork of a bike and
>the spinning spokes hit it.
>
>Any idea what's causing this, and how to fix it?
>
>Thanks
>
>Alex

Sounds like a bios warning alarm. suggest you look through your bios
for some odd agp switch to turn off.

jad

reset configuration data each time you change the location of the
video card...there is a setting in the bios for primary
video...although on some boards it makes little difference some balk
when set incorrectly