Should memory sticks be hard to insert?

Ben

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Hello,

I'm trying to put together my new system and I'm having some problems with
the memory stick.

It basically wont go in into the motherboard (Abit NF7). After about 20 min
of manipulating I managed to insert it into DIMM3 completely. BUT I had to
put soo much pressure that it makes me wonder if thats how it should be
done. I literally was at the point of braking either the motherboard or the
memory

I can't fit it in DIMM2 or DIMM1 at all (maybe after an hour I would but IS
IT THAT hard to put in a simple memory stick?

Its a one stick of 512 Kingston DDR400 and YES, I am orienting it the right
way

Thanks

p.s. Oh by the my system wont POST (probably as a result of this)

Philo

"Ben" <ben@ben.com> wrote in message
> Hello,
>
> I'm trying to put together my new system and I'm having some problems with
> the memory stick.
>
> It basically wont go in into the motherboard (Abit NF7). After about 20
min
> of manipulating I managed to insert it into DIMM3 completely. BUT I had to
> put soo much pressure that it makes me wonder if thats how it should be
> done. I literally was at the point of braking either the motherboard or
the
> memory
>
> I can't fit it in DIMM2 or DIMM1 at all (maybe after an hour I would but
IS
> IT THAT hard to put in a simple memory stick?
>
> Its a one stick of 512 Kingston DDR400 and YES, I am orienting it the
right
> way
>
> Thanks
>
> p.s. Oh by the my system wont POST (probably as a result of this)

you are doing something *seriously* wrong...

i suggest you get a good light and some reading glasses!

i'm sure you'll soon see your error

Ben wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm trying to put together my new system and I'm having some problems
> with the memory stick.
>
> It basically wont go in into the motherboard (Abit NF7). After about
> 20 min of manipulating I managed to insert it into DIMM3 completely.
> BUT I had to put soo much pressure that it makes me wonder if thats
> how it should be done. I literally was at the point of braking either
> the motherboard or the memory
>
> I can't fit it in DIMM2 or DIMM1 at all (maybe after an hour I would
> but IS IT THAT hard to put in a simple memory stick?

Hi Ben,

I don't mean to be condescending, but have you tried making sure it's the
right way round? I spent about 10 minutes trying to make sure the ram was
located properly a few days ago and eventually realised I didn't have the
notches on the ram module lined up correctly with the slot on the board!
Made me look pretty stupid :)

Graham

To answer your question, Ben, no, it shouldn't be that hard. You should be
able to press it down firmly and see, and sometimes hear, the retainers on
the ends of the slot snap into the lock position.
Like Graham said, it sounds like you didn't have it properly oriented and/or
you missed the slot somehow. It's really easy to not allign it right. I'm
done it a million times. Take another look at it with a strong light and a
magnifying glass before you remove it to see if it really is in there
properly, and the locking tabs are where they shold be. If it is, then
either that stick of ram was made wrong and it's too fat, or the motherboard
was made wrong and the slots are too skinny.

Al

"Ben" <ben@ben.com> wrote in message news:<5v3Cc.208$tU.129@twister.rdc-kc.rr.com>...

> It basically wont go in into the motherboard (Abit NF7). After
> about 20 min of manipulating I managed to insert it into DIMM3
> completely. BUT I had to put soo much pressure that it makes me
> wonder if that's how it should be done. I literally was at the
> point of braking either the motherboard or the memory

> Its a one stick of 512 Kingston DDR400 and YES, I am orienting it
> the right way

> p.s. Oh by the my system wont POST (probably as a result of this)

Can you compare the stick to another one, to see if the Kingston
DDR400's edge connector isn't any larger or that the notch cut into it
is the same size and in the same position? Oversized edge connectors
can be filed down on the sides or even beveled along the bottom, but I
wouldn't do either except as a last resort.

A shot of silicone spray lubricant can help tight sticks slip in, and
it won't affect electrical conduction or harm plastics. It works
better when applied before insertion.