any opinions?

I'll be mainly doing Photoshop and Illustrator... all other things being
equal should I go with this:

Athlon 64 3500 & Asus A8V Dlx

or this:

P4 3.4 & IC7-G

My gut feeling is to go with the P4... I've read some nice things about the
Athlon 64 but if I remember correctly (and I could be wrong) the advantages
were more for gaming than Photoshop type work. So I thought I'd check here
for opinions.

steve

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2003

"Carly" <carlya.nospam@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
> I'll be mainly doing Photoshop and Illustrator... all other things
being
> equal should I go with this:
>
> Athlon 64 3500 & Asus A8V Dlx
>
> or this:
>
> P4 3.4 & IC7-G

None at all??? I have to make a decision today... I can't keep using my
wife's old Laptop!!!

No comments on the new AMD chipset over the P4? Is it worth the extra
money?

> > I'll be mainly doing Photoshop and Illustrator... all other things
> being
> > equal should I go with this:
> >
> > Athlon 64 3500 & Asus A8V Dlx
> >
> > or this:
> >
> > P4 3.4 & IC7-G
> >
> None at all??? I have to make a decision today... I can't keep using my
> wife's old Laptop!!!
>
> No comments on the new AMD chipset over the P4? Is it worth the extra
> money?

OK, I'll comment. My comment is this . . . Choose AMD every time, and you
can't go wrong. There are some odd and very specialized apps. that will run
slightly faster on the latest Intel chips. So What? AMD trounces Intel in
just about every area and virtually ties Intel in the rest of them. If you
are looking to go high-end, the cost is about the same. Even slightly below
the latest and greatest though, AMD will save you money. Use that money to
buy more RAM.

Just buy AMD. That's the simple answer. -Dave

steve

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2003

"Matt" <matt@themattfella.zzzz.com> wrote in message
> Carly wrote:
> > I'll be mainly doing Photoshop and Illustrator... all other things
being
> > equal should I go with this:
>
> See also comp.graphics.apps.photoshop.

Well I asked in a graphics discussion group and the all said Pentium...
but I think their biased.

> Well I asked in a graphics discussion group and the all said Pentium...
> but I think their biased.

Video editing is the one area where intel has a slight edge over AMD. I
would *expect* the members of a graphics discussion group to be biased
toward intel. -Dave