Motherboards with AD Soundmax, frequency response distorted

Folks, I am trying to use this Intel D845PEBT2 motherboard for some audio
measurements, but the Soundmax driver (Cadenza) insists on loading a frequency
response equalization into all playback signals, even if "headphone" output is
selected. I am talking about more than 10db down at 150Hz and more than 10db peak
at 75 Hz, with rapid rolloff below that. I experienced an almost identical problem
on an Asus P4C800-E Deluxe, also using the Soundmax SW/HW combination. (Asus tech
support's first suggestion was to use the S/PDIF output instead.)

My understanding from the AD Soundmax site is that this is a "feature" to
compensate for specific models of cheap computer speakers. The manufacturer is
supposed to adjust the frequency response as needed to best work with a specific
model of speaker. In this case I purchased the motherboards by themselves and
assembled systems, so I'd like to decide for myself what my speakers need if
anything. But right now I don't want any of this distortion at all.

Anyone know how to turn it off ? There must be a file that I could replace or
delete that has these profiles, or perhaps just overwrite.

Geo.

George Pontis <gpontis@spamcop.net> wrote in message news:<MPG.1b43a005da9d28fe9896b8@news.supernews.com>...
> selected. I am talking about more than 10db down at 150Hz and more than 10db peak
> at 75 Hz, with rapid rolloff below that. I experienced an almost identical problem
> on an Asus P4C800-E Deluxe, also using the Soundmax SW/HW combination. (Asus tech

I had same problem with ASUS P4PE board. I asked ASUS, they just
ignored. Usual situation, isn't it.
Try to run soundmax setup and choose "remove". It will clean
everything related to soundmax. Then reboot and run setup again,
choose install. Reboot and you will have much more reasonable
relatively flat frequency response. I guess that lousy freq. response
happens when one updates soundmax without deleting older version. ASUS
should point this out. BTW, use the latest driver available, I used
5.12.1.3665, it gives better response than original older driver that
came with the board.