Rack Server Frame

steve

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2003

Hello All,

I am planning to build a small home server setup and will be using standard
19" rack cases for the systems. I know a gentleman who is willing to build
me a wooden enclosure for the racks, but he needs to have a frame to build
it around.

I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions how to proceed? Ideally, I
would like to assamble the metal frame which the rack chassis screw into,
and then let him use that to build the cabinet. Is there anyplace to buy
the frame pieces to custom build a (say 11U) rack cabinet?

TIA
Steve

In article <40da4f25$1_2@127.0.0.1>, Steve <wormuth@hotmail.com> wrote:
>Hello All,
>
>I am planning to build a small home server setup and will be using standard
>19" rack cases for the systems. I know a gentleman who is willing to build
>me a wooden enclosure for the racks, but he needs to have a frame to build
>it around.
>
>I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions how to proceed? Ideally, I
>would like to assamble the metal frame which the rack chassis screw into,
>and then let him use that to build the cabinet. Is there anyplace to buy
>the frame pieces to custom build a (say 11U) rack cabinet?
>
>TIA
>Steve

There are dozens of companies that make this stuff. Here's one random
google hit;

http://www.cablesamerica.com/product_list.asp?cat%5Fid=3502&source=google
&kw=electronic+racks&engine=adwords!1303&keyword=%28electronic+racks%29

You can buy one higher than you need and cut the rails to the length
you need.

The threaded "rails" can be scrounged from dumpstered minicomputer
racks, at least the ones by DEC. These look like narrow "angle iron"
and can be bolted into the sides of a wooden cabinet that's built to
the right width.

If you go with a commercial rack like the URL shows you will wind up
with a cabinet that's a couple of inches wider than one built with
rails bolted to wood.

You have to watch out for heat and weight when you build your own
enclosure.

--
Al Dykes
-----------

>I am planning to build a small home server setup and will be using standard
>19" rack cases for the systems.

Im curious.....

Why do you want to use rack eauip...when that stuff is
premium priced?

Why not just use desktop or tower style PC case?

geek

Distinguished
May 19, 2004

On Thu, 24 Jun 2004 09:23:12 -0500, me6@privacy.net wrote:

>>I am planning to build a small home server setup and will be using standard
>>19" rack cases for the systems.
>
>Im curious.....
>
>Why do you want to use rack eauip...when that stuff is
>premium priced?
>
>Why not just use desktop or tower style PC case?

Space. if you don't have a lot of available real estate, a rackmount
tower can hold several computers and lots of audio visual gear too.
easier to work on, and you can rig single cooling solutions for the
lot of it.

Picking up an old, discarded 27" TV center and parking it next to your
desk is another way to store tons of equipment. You can fit 3-4
towers in the old TV space. Stack your audio in the usual AV bay.
Some even have those sliding TV doors to keep the noise down ;)

In article <5qbmd09fnqknkvudc3rj90kcnmnvhnt1hj@4ax.com>,
<geek@yeah.com> wrote:
>On Thu, 24 Jun 2004 09:23:12 -0500, me6@privacy.net wrote:
>
>>>I am planning to build a small home server setup and will be using standard
>>>19" rack cases for the systems.
>>
>>Im curious.....
>>
>>Why do you want to use rack eauip...when that stuff is
>>premium priced?
>>
>>Why not just use desktop or tower style PC case?
>
>Space. if you don't have a lot of available real estate, a rackmount
>tower can hold several computers and lots of audio visual gear too.
>easier to work on, and you can rig single cooling solutions for the
>lot of it.
>
>Picking up an old, discarded 27" TV center and parking it next to your
>desk is another way to store tons of equipment. You can fit 3-4
>towers in the old TV space. Stack your audio in the usual AV bay.
>Some even have those sliding TV doors to keep the noise down ;)

Before you spend any money, stack your hifi/video gear on top of your
computers and see if you get any interferendce. Check the video
quality, as well as the sound.

You mentioned 11u, that's not a whole lot of space (1/4 rack), plan
carefuly.

Do you know you can buy racks this size that have brackets to bolt to
the wall and a very strong hinge so you can swing the equipment out
and get at the back panal ? You have to check th requirement of your
deepest equipment, don't forget to factor in the cables and
connectors. I think they can be bought for equipment as heavy as 200
pounds. Very good on the ventilation, OTOH I wouldn't want to put a
server UPS into one.

--
Al Dykes