Wireless adapter purchase

I have just a very general question. I am in the process of setting up a
home network, and will purchase a notebook adapter.

In general, is it best to purchase a USB adapter or PCMCIA card? I haven't
really found any good reviews comparing the two.

Thanks
4 answers Last reply
More about wireless adapter purchase

    these days its probably best to have it built in to the machine and not need
    a separate adapter.

    "MGriff" <MGriff@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I have just a very general question. I am in the process of setting up a
    > home network, and will purchase a notebook adapter.
    >
    > In general, is it best to purchase a USB adapter or PCMCIA card? I
    > haven't
    > really found any good reviews comparing the two.
    >
    > Thanks

    Hi

    May be this can Help.

    http://www.ezlan.net/faq#wcard

    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    "MGriff" <MGriff@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > I have just a very general question. I am in the process of setting up a
    > home network, and will purchase a notebook adapter.
    >
    > In general, is it best to purchase a USB adapter or PCMCIA card? I
    haven't
    > really found any good reviews comparing the two.
    >
    > Thanks

    The usual recommendation is a PCMCIA card for a laptop - no wires ;). Built
    in is nice as will if your laptop manufacturer has one that can be added to
    your model. If you expect to use the adapter on a desktop machine or move
    the adapter between a desktop and a laptop then a USB adapter should be
    considered.

    newsgroup purposes only.
    "MGriff" <MGriff@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I have just a very general question. I am in the process of setting up a
    > home network, and will purchase a notebook adapter.
    >
    > In general, is it best to purchase a USB adapter or PCMCIA card? I
    > haven't
    > really found any good reviews comparing the two.
    >
    > Thanks

    Having done a lot of testing with laptops in my work writing wifi software,
    I find that PCMCIA is better for a laptop that does not have built in WiFi.
    A USB dongle can be a hassel if you ever move your laptop, or use it in your
    lap.

    Jim Howard

    "MGriff" <MGriff@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I have just a very general question. I am in the process of setting up a
    > home network, and will purchase a notebook adapter.
    >
    > In general, is it best to purchase a USB adapter or PCMCIA card? I
    > haven't
    > really found any good reviews comparing the two.
    >
    > Thanks

Wireless Adapter Wireless Networking