Wireless adapter purchase

I have just a very general question. I am in the process of setting up a
home network, and will purchase a notebook adapter.

In general, is it best to purchase a USB adapter or PCMCIA card? I haven't
really found any good reviews comparing the two.

Thanks

Dave

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2003

these days its probably best to have it built in to the machine and not need
a separate adapter.

"MGriff" <MGriff@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have just a very general question. I am in the process of setting up a
> home network, and will purchase a notebook adapter.
>
> In general, is it best to purchase a USB adapter or PCMCIA card? I
> haven't
> really found any good reviews comparing the two.
>
> Thanks

Jack

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2003

Hi

May be this can Help.

http://www.ezlan.net/faq#wcard

Jack (MVP-Networking).

"MGriff" <MGriff@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I have just a very general question. I am in the process of setting up a
> home network, and will purchase a notebook adapter.
>
> In general, is it best to purchase a USB adapter or PCMCIA card? I
haven't
> really found any good reviews comparing the two.
>
> Thanks

The usual recommendation is a PCMCIA card for a laptop - no wires ;). Built
in is nice as will if your laptop manufacturer has one that can be added to
your model. If you expect to use the adapter on a desktop machine or move
the adapter between a desktop and a laptop then a USB adapter should be
considered.

newsgroup purposes only.
"MGriff" <MGriff@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have just a very general question. I am in the process of setting up a
> home network, and will purchase a notebook adapter.
>
> In general, is it best to purchase a USB adapter or PCMCIA card? I
> haven't
> really found any good reviews comparing the two.
>
> Thanks

Having done a lot of testing with laptops in my work writing wifi software,
I find that PCMCIA is better for a laptop that does not have built in WiFi.
A USB dongle can be a hassel if you ever move your laptop, or use it in your
lap.

Jim Howard