Need Advice

I will be purchasing a new base PC at a weekend Computer Show this
Sunday. I've been living with 4 ECS K75SA systems for the last 3 years or so
that have been excellent performers except for the occasional CMOS reset
issues.

The problem is I've been out of touch with the latest and greatest and would
appreciate any advice as to what is the best bang for the buck out there
today. I just purchased an ATI 9600 for the vid side if that helps in your
recommendations. TIA for the re-education.

Armand

I would be leary about those PC shows. Usually they charge you to enter the
door and they sell garbage. Make sure you are purchasing new equipment, not
returned or refurbished parts. What would you do if the parts or system you
puchase breaks down? Where would you return it? How would you get
replacement parts? Do they come with a warranty?

I have gone into a few of these shows and ended up leaving with nothing. I
would find a good vendor and purchase online.

Actually I deal with a dealer that is in my area that I know well. I go to the
shows for the 20% discount I get as opposed to walking in the store any other
time. And I don't know what you mean by selling junk. They sell top brands in
sealed boxes. I don't know what kind of shows you go to. Maybe your
speaking more of a Flea Market?

In article <10dllrjnml0dc15@corp.supernews.com>, capnron@hotmail.com
says...

In article <2k191vF14g1jrU2@uni-berlin.de>,
SpicaTC50 <bluesguitar@verizon.com> wrote:
>Actually I deal with a dealer that is in my area that I know well. I go to the
>shows for the 20% discount I get as opposed to walking in the store any other
>time. And I don't know what you mean by selling junk. They sell top brands in
>sealed boxes. I don't know what kind of shows you go to. Maybe your
>speaking more of a Flea Market?
>

>In article <10dllrjnml0dc15@corp.supernews.com>, capnron@hotmail.com
>says...
>>
>>I would be leary about those PC shows. Usually they charge you to enter the
>>door and they sell garbage. Make sure you are purchasing new equipment,
>not
>>returned or refurbished parts. What would you do if the parts or system you
>>puchase breaks down? Where would you return it? How would you get
>>replacement parts? Do they come with a warranty?
>>
>>I have gone into a few of these shows and ended up leaving with nothing. I
>>would find a good vendor and purchase online.

The dealer shows were a much better deal prior to Ebay and the web, in
general.

I used to go to shows regularly (job-related) and I always figured
that if a dealer had the nerve to show up, time after time, and there
were not ex-customers with pots of boiling tar and feathers lined up
the dealer must be OK. I believe that if the show operator got
complaints the dealer wouldn't be welcome back. As always, buyer
beware, but I did get to know a couple dealers whose advice I
trusted.,

--
Al Dykes
-----------

bluesguitar@verizon.com (SpicaTC50) said:

> The problem is I've been out of touch with the latest and greatest
> and would appreciate any advice as to what is the best bang for the
> buck out there today.

an AMD combined with an Nforce board would be a good bang
--
Mac Cool

We have the "Blue Star" computer shows come into town on a regular basis.
They charge $5.00 to enter the doors and they sell many refurbished parts
and returned mechandise. Not all are refurbished or returned. I walked
through and found low end and off brand equipment along with name brand. We
do not have local dealers selling their equipment at these shows. If they
were local dealers I would have no problem purchasing at these shows. I just
have a problem being charged to look at the equipment being sold.

"SpicaTC50" <bluesguitar@verizon.com> wrote in message
> Actually I deal with a dealer that is in my area that I know well. I go to
the
> shows for the 20% discount I get as opposed to walking in the store any
other
> time. And I don't know what you mean by selling junk. They sell top
brands in
> sealed boxes. I don't know what kind of shows you go to. Maybe your
> speaking more of a Flea Market?
>

> In article <10dllrjnml0dc15@corp.supernews.com>, capnron@hotmail.com
> says...
> >
> >I would be leary about those PC shows. Usually they charge you to enter
the
> >door and they sell garbage. Make sure you are purchasing new equipment,
> not
> >returned or refurbished parts. What would you do if the parts or system
you
> >puchase breaks down? Where would you return it? How would you get
> >replacement parts? Do they come with a warranty?
> >
> >I have gone into a few of these shows and ended up leaving with nothing.
> >would find a good vendor and purchase online.

Thanks, but I just bought a Sapphire ATI 9600. Any other recs for
mobos considering my recent purchase? What are the current SB speeds
right now? My time to research this stuff is minimal.

In article <Xns9512E29B62209MacCool@24.25.9.42>, Mac@2cool.com
says...

>bluesguitar@verizon.com (SpicaTC50) said:
>
>> The problem is I've been out of touch with the latest and greatest
>> and would appreciate any advice as to what is the best bang for the
>> buck out there today.
>
>an AMD combined with an Nforce board would be a good bang
>--
>Mac Cool

You're right, you are out of touch.

--