Boards w/ DDR and SDRAM??

Can anyone recommend a solid board with both DDR and SDRAM slots? I have a
K7S5A now and will never own one again as it refuses to get along with DDR.
I have also looked at a Syntax SV266A (not an A-D) and read good and not so
good comments (although the neg. ones just seem to trash Syntax in general).

Do any of the more mainstream manufacturers produce one that also has a
enough PCI slots to grow on for a while? I sure wish that one of the 333/400
boards did this, but I'm sure none would.

Thanks!!!

--
"Kill for money... Die for love... Whatever was
God thinking of???"

Bruce Cockburn

HarrY

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Why not just buy a board that takes DDR only? You cant run DDR and
SDRAM at the same time so it would seem logical to choose one or the
other.

You seem to indicate that you have tried DDR on your K7S5A, so why not
get a new board with DDR only.

I personally would recommend an ASUS board, though ABIT are rather
good too.

Any ATX board will come with a good number of PCI slots. Avoid mATX as
they usually only have 3 or 4 PCI slots.

Harry

"Harry" <A@A.A> wrote in message
> Why not just buy a board that takes DDR only? You cant run DDR and
> SDRAM at the same time so it would seem logical to choose one or the
> other.

This board will eventually move along the family food chain of computers at
some point and need to use the existing SDRAM that's available.

> You seem to indicate that you have tried DDR on your K7S5A, so why not
> get a new board with DDR only.

Because the DDR will migrate to the next board I buy while the board will
migrate to Son or Dad's or ???'s box where there is little demand for more
than SDRAM and won't likely be for a while, either.

> I personally would recommend an ASUS board, though ABIT are rather
> good too.

Any good ASUS or ABIT boards of this RAM format? I thought I read about an
ASROCK at one point that did... but I don't see it now.

> Any ATX board will come with a good number of PCI slots. Avoid mATX as
> they usually only have 3 or 4 PCI slots.

Yes... there's an MSI and an ECS that are dual RAM types, but only have 2
PCI which would never do for me.

Thanks for the reply.

> Harry
>
> On Thu, 24 Jun 2004 08:41:53 -0400, "Ralph D." <raldonn2@usaor.net>
> wrote:
>
> >Can anyone recommend a solid board with both DDR and SDRAM slots? I have
> >K7S5A now and will never own one again as it refuses to get along with
DDR.
> >I have also looked at a Syntax SV266A (not an A-D) and read good and not
so
> >good comments (although the neg. ones just seem to trash Syntax in
general).

> >Do any of the more mainstream manufacturers produce one that also has a
> >enough PCI slots to grow on for a while? I sure wish that one of the
333/400
> >boards did this, but I'm sure none would.
> >

> >Thanks!!!

Ralph,

If you're not wedded to AMD here's a board that fits your needs at
newegg.com:
http://www.newegg.com/app/viewProductDesc.asp?description=13-131-485&DEPA=0

I've been looking for a board with DDR and SDRAM for an additional computer
I'm planning on assembling. I was looking for an inexpensive AMD board but
couldn't find one on newegg when I came across the P4 board.

Wayne
"Ralph D." <raldonn2@usaor.net> wrote in message
> Can anyone recommend a solid board with both DDR and SDRAM slots? I have a
> K7S5A now and will never own one again as it refuses to get along with
> DDR.
> I have also looked at a Syntax SV266A (not an A-D) and read good and not
> so
> good comments (although the neg. ones just seem to trash Syntax in
> general).
>
> Do any of the more mainstream manufacturers produce one that also has a
> enough PCI slots to grow on for a while? I sure wish that one of the
> 333/400
> boards did this, but I'm sure none would.
>

> Thanks!!!
>

> --
> "Kill for money... Die for love... Whatever was
> God thinking of???"
>

> Bruce Cockburn

HarrY

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

So pass the K7S5A down, with the SDRAM now and buy a DDR board and
plug in the DDR for yourself.

I think you would be better off trying to look for a pure DDR board
and phase out the SDRAM option.

As I recall the K7S5A is the best dual memory board around - and even
then its pretty poor board in comparison with pure DDR boards.

I guess cost is an issue for you, so you may want to consider a low
end DDR board. An ASUS A7V8X might be a good start. The microATX
version of this board has onboard graphics and sound (with an AGP 8x
slot should you wish to upgrade later)

My kids PC has this board and it cost me £32. It runs all the games
they need (F1 2002, Dogz 4 etc)

With 256Mb ram it was the best buy I have had for a long time.

HTH

Harry