Computer not turning on, no POST, no Power, no fans, Nothing

bena8705

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2004

Ok, this happened last night, i was trying to tidy up some cables
(cables coming from the PSU) using some plastic cable ties. I tidied
up the cables, at first i ran one of the molex connectors underneath
the motherboard tray (not actually touching the motherboard. I soon
moved this after i realised it was rubbing against the side of the
case.

I turned it on and nothing happened, no sound, no lights lighting up
no CPU fans starting no HDD starting no optical drives whiring,
nothing, it was asif it wasn't even switched on. After this i
re-opened the case, wiggled some of the wires around inside turned it
on and it booted but failed the POST because i accidentaly knocked
the IDE cable from the hard drive. I plugged it back in and switched
it on. Nothing happened again. Same problem as before.

I then opened the case and removed the IDE cable again as it worked
last time and i thought it might be something to do with the IDE
cables. I tried to turn on and it still didn't work. I then removed
the other cables (All power cables exept the HSF one and the one that
connects to the motherboard) and tried to boot. Again absolutely
nothing happened. I then read the motherboard manual to check that
all the connectors from the front of the panel were connected right.
They were but i removed and put them back just incase.

After this i again tried to switch it on and it still didn't work,
getting annoyed this time i removed the motherboard and all the
components (placing them each into a seperate anti-static bag). To
check if a screw was perhaps shorting out the circuitry on the
motherboard.

There were no screws or foreign metal components shorting out the
motherboard. I then put all the components back in and swapped the
PSU with one that i know worked.

Still no luck and that gets me to where i am now. I can't understand
how on earth it happened. I wore a anit-static wrist strap at all
times and never touched the motherboard directly, the only time i
touched it was the remove it and then i only touched the extreme
edges.

Could it be the motherboard has gone? Its the only thing i can think
of right now, the PS/2 optical mouse lights up but i was told that
these devices have a direct connection to the power supply through
the motherboard.

==============

jad

wiggled some of the wires around inside turned it
> on and it booted but failed the

There may be a loose wire in the PSU or maybe you knocked off (or
loosened) the power switch connector to the MB as you move other
things you bump against it and you get a boot.

"bena8705" <darkside_sniper@hotmail-dot-com.no-spam.invalid> wrote in
message news:40daee14$1_3@news.athenanews.com...
> Ok, this happened last night, i was trying to tidy up some cables
> (cables coming from the PSU) using some plastic cable ties. I tidied
> up the cables, at first i ran one of the molex connectors underneath
> the motherboard tray (not actually touching the motherboard. I soon
> moved this after i realised it was rubbing against the side of the
> case.
>
> I turned it on and nothing happened, no sound, no lights lighting up
> no CPU fans starting no HDD starting no optical drives whiring,
> nothing, it was asif it wasn't even switched on. After this i
> re-opened the case, POST because i accidentaly knocked
> the IDE cable from the hard drive. I plugged it back in and switched
> it on. Nothing happened again. Same problem as before.
>
> I then opened the case and removed the IDE cable again as it worked
> last time and i thought it might be something to do with the IDE
> cables. I tried to turn on and it still didn't work. I then removed
> the other cables (All power cables exept the HSF one and the one
that
> connects to the motherboard) and tried to boot. Again absolutely
> nothing happened. I then read the motherboard manual to check that
> all the connectors from the front of the panel were connected right.
> They were but i removed and put them back just incase.
>
> After this i again tried to switch it on and it still didn't work,
> getting annoyed this time i removed the motherboard and all the
> components (placing them each into a seperate anti-static bag). To
> check if a screw was perhaps shorting out the circuitry on the
> motherboard.
>
> There were no screws or foreign metal components shorting out the
> motherboard. I then put all the components back in and swapped the
> PSU with one that i know worked.
>
> Still no luck and that gets me to where i am now. I can't understand
> how on earth it happened. I wore a anit-static wrist strap at all
> times and never touched the motherboard directly, the only time i
> touched it was the remove it and then i only touched the extreme
> edges.
>
> Could it be the motherboard has gone? Its the only thing i can think
> of right now, the PS/2 optical mouse lights up but i was told that
> these devices have a direct connection to the power supply through
> the motherboard.
>
> ==============
> Posted through www.HowToFixComputers.com/bb - free access to
hardware troubleshooting newsgroups.

"bena8705" <darkside_sniper@hotmail-dot-com.no-spam.invalid> wrote in
message news:40daee14$1_3@news.athenanews.com...
> Ok, this happened last night, i was trying to tidy up some cables
> (cables coming from the PSU) using some plastic cable ties. I tidied
> up the cables, at first i ran one of the molex connectors underneath
> the motherboard tray (not actually touching the motherboard. I soon
> moved this after i realised it was rubbing against the side of the
> case.
>
> I turned it on and nothing happened, no sound, no lights lighting up
> no CPU fans starting no HDD starting no optical drives whiring,
> nothing, it was asif it wasn't even switched on. After this i
> re-opened the case, wiggled some of the wires around inside turned it
> on and it booted but failed the POST because i accidentaly knocked
> the IDE cable from the hard drive. I plugged it back in and switched
> it on. Nothing happened again. Same problem as before.
>
> I then opened the case and removed the IDE cable again as it worked
> last time and i thought it might be something to do with the IDE
> cables. I tried to turn on and it still didn't work. I then removed
> the other cables (All power cables exept the HSF one and the one that
> connects to the motherboard) and tried to boot. Again absolutely
> nothing happened. I then read the motherboard manual to check that
> all the connectors from the front of the panel were connected right.
> They were but i removed and put them back just incase.
>
> After this i again tried to switch it on and it still didn't work,
> getting annoyed this time i removed the motherboard and all the
> components (placing them each into a seperate anti-static bag). To
> check if a screw was perhaps shorting out the circuitry on the
> motherboard.
>
> There were no screws or foreign metal components shorting out the
> motherboard. I then put all the components back in and swapped the
> PSU with one that i know worked.
>
> Still no luck and that gets me to where i am now. I can't understand
> how on earth it happened. I wore a anit-static wrist strap at all
> times and never touched the motherboard directly, the only time i
> touched it was the remove it and then i only touched the extreme
> edges.
>
> Could it be the motherboard has gone? Its the only thing i can think
> of right now, the PS/2 optical mouse lights up but i was told that
> these devices have a direct connection to the power supply through
> the motherboard.
>
> ==============
troubleshooting newsgroups.

Sounds like it's possible you might have damaged (by static or physical)
some part of the motherboard when you ran one of the molex connectors
underneath the motherboard tray. That's the only thing I can think of if
there was no other static or physical damage at some other point when you
were working on things. Did you try reinstalling each component one by one
and see if maybe a component is the culprit? In other words start with just
the minimum required to post

1. power supply
2. motherboard
3. RAM (there's another component that might have gotten damaged--may want
to swap RAM too)
4. HD (or you could just use the floppy w/ a boot disk)
5. Kbrd
6. Video card

Turn on and see if it posts with just these components. If it doesn't try to
eliminate each component (insofar as that's possible without a second box)
as the culprit.

If it does post, add-in all additional components and see if one causes the
failure. Good luck, Don't you hate it when you try to improve something and
all hell breaks loose? Happens to me all the time!

bena8705

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2004

Well i recieved some advice from my mums friend, i reseated the CPU,
that didn't work. I then tried what you recomended, i removed all the
components except the vital ones and tried to boot, nothing, i
continued removing until i had a Motherboard and a PSU with some RAM.
Still nothing, i swapped the RAM and it still didn't work. I think i
may have fried the motherboard :(.

Is there anyway that connecting some Neon Lights would harm the
computer? I really don't think it could because its nothing to do
with the motherboard? My dad reckons its those but he knows nothing
about computers, he can barely use word. I did however pull the
yellow wire out of one of the Molex Connectors, i couldn't get it
soldered so i just pushed it into the connector. I personaly think
that i made a cockup with ESD, do you have to have the plug in the
wall and have the Anti-Static wrist
strap?