Can't Boot from SATA HD when IDE HD is present

Hi,

Put together a new system w/ AOpen AX4SG-UN MB, P4 2.8E, WD SATA 80GB
HD, Asus DVD, Lite On DVDRW. Everything worked fine until I tried to
connect my old backup IDE HD to the first IDE port on the motherboard.
System will no longer boot.

Looked in MB manual...it has 5 HD settings in BIOS:

1. Disabled--no SATA drives are present.

2. Auto--SATA drive maps to IDE1 as first boot device if IDE1 is not
occupied.

3. Combined--SATA drives map to IDE1, limiting use to one IDE channel
only.

4. Enhanced--Both IDE channels and 2 SATA drives can be used at same
time, but system boots by default to IDE1 channel.

5. SATA only--Allows you to select booting sequence from SATA1 or
SATA2

What good are two IDE channels when the SATA channel is mapped to one
of them? Maybe I should partition the SATA drive and forget the
separate IDE drive. Any suggestions? There is no option to boot from
SCSI.

Thanks in advance.

Bill

"Bill Eversole" <beversol@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> Put together a new system w/ AOpen AX4SG-UN MB, P4 2.8E, WD SATA 80GB
> HD, Asus DVD, Lite On DVDRW. Everything worked fine until I tried to
> connect my old backup IDE HD to the first IDE port on the motherboard.
> System will no longer boot.
>
> Looked in MB manual...it has 5 HD settings in BIOS:
>
> 1. Disabled--no SATA drives are present.
>
> 2. Auto--SATA drive maps to IDE1 as first boot device if IDE1 is not
> occupied.
>
> 3. Combined--SATA drives map to IDE1, limiting use to one IDE channel
> only.
>
> 4. Enhanced--Both IDE channels and 2 SATA drives can be used at same
> time, but system boots by default to IDE1 channel.
>
> 5. SATA only--Allows you to select booting sequence from SATA1 or
> SATA2
>
> What good are two IDE channels when the SATA channel is mapped to one
> of them?

For the motherboard maker, it saves resources. This is much like the
motherboards with onboard video that will disable the onboard if you plug in
a card. It's fine if the intention was to replace, but not so good if the
intention was to ahve dual video.

Maybe I should partition the SATA drive and forget the
> separate IDE drive. Any suggestions?

First odd thing I noted was that you keep saying IDE1, but the primary is
actually IDE0. It may not matter, though. Have you tried putting the CD
drives on the shared bus and putting the hard drive on the other? Or setting
the hard drive as slave?

If the IDE device isn't bootable in option 4, then it should continue the
sequence to look for other bootable devices.

There is no option to boot from
> SCSI.

Only other option would be adding an IDE controller card or buying a USB
enclosure for the ide drive.

Latest posts