Wireless Security

clayton

I was running my wireless network without protection and was connecting to
it straight away, now with protection it takes upto a minute to connect, is
there a way to make it connect faster?
I'm also unable to connect first time and sometimes need to select connect
again when seems to connect alot faster the second time

Installer

Distinguished
May 8, 2005

XP? SP2 ? Router name ? Which Startup Menu items not needed ? Check yor
settings , perhaps all settings in 'View Available Wireless Networks' / in
the big box , (highlighted) will show 'Connected' and 'Diconnected' .Open
'Wireless Network Connection Properties' by clicking on ' Change the order of
preferred networks . ' In the box ' Preferred neyworks' you need the SSID you
made , on top or 1st in line to connect to . Highlight the SSID or Network ,
then click the 'Move Up' button to place the SSID you are using for
connection to be 1st . Select this SSID to (Automatic) . The others may be
set to 'On Demmand' Highlight one at a time , each network / Properties /
then click the tabs and view carefuly , decide preference to suit . Then view
your settings at thr routers 'Setup' website . SSID's must match . Aft
connection , disable 'Local Connection' or you will get a balloon posting
network unable to connect . Try this for starters .
--
KD

"Clayton" wrote:

> I was running my wireless network without protection and was connecting to
> it straight away, now with protection it takes upto a minute to connect, is
> there a way to make it connect faster?
> I'm also unable to connect first time and sometimes need to select connect
> again when seems to connect alot faster the second time

clayton

Everything is ok now, but I am getting disconnections now and then, where as
if I had no security it was stable

"Installer" <lost_in_70s_tunes> wrote in message
> XP? SP2 ? Router name ? Which Startup Menu items not needed ? Check yor
> settings , perhaps all settings in 'View Available Wireless Networks' /
> in
> the big box , (highlighted) will show 'Connected' and 'Diconnected' .Open
> 'Wireless Network Connection Properties' by clicking on ' Change the order
> of
> preferred networks . ' In the box ' Preferred neyworks' you need the SSID
> you
> made , on top or 1st in line to connect to . Highlight the SSID or Network
> ,
> then click the 'Move Up' button to place the SSID you are using for
> connection to be 1st . Select this SSID to (Automatic) . The others may be
> set to 'On Demmand' Highlight one at a time , each network / Properties /
> then click the tabs and view carefuly , decide preference to suit . Then
> view
> your settings at thr routers 'Setup' website . SSID's must match . Aft
> connection , disable 'Local Connection' or you will get a balloon posting
> network unable to connect . Try this for starters .
> --
> KD
>

> "Clayton" wrote:
>
>> I was running my wireless network without protection and was connecting
>> it straight away, now with protection it takes upto a minute to connect,
>> is
>> there a way to make it connect faster?
>> I'm also unable to connect first time and sometimes need to select
>> connect
>> again when seems to connect alot faster the second time

Installer

Distinguished
May 8, 2005

Hello , I am not an expert and have been through quite a few rounds with the
'Linksys' wireless connection issues all over the place ha . And I really
enjoy this network . I have cable / High Speed Digital hooked to a wireless
router . The router serves a printer and of course 1 pc . My I.S.P. suggested
'LAN' for default rather than 'Cable' for the connection . I also turned
'off' the SP2 Windows Firewall and still using an Anti-Virus with personal
firewall turned 'on' , and now the wireless connection time is permanent .
You can enable a balloon to pop up when there is even a slight signal change
.. Acts a an alert to remind user of the wireless connections current status .
Appears just a few times per day . To set this , place cursor on wireless
icon / Right click / View Available Wireless Networks / General 'tab' /
select ' Change advanced settings / check both boxes which will be at the
bottom of that window . Also , in this window , 'Client for Microsoft' 'File
and Printer Sharing for MS' ' QoS Packet Scheduler' ' Internet Protocal
(TCP/IP). I have all checked but not sure which is neccessary to have checked
.. Try highlighting each and click the 'Properties button and view the status
.. This may raise more questions . But the more we know about the wireless ...
the better for next time we get lost . I will check back and try to help .
--
KD