Main difference between Celeron and P4 cpu's?

What are the main differences between the Celeron processors and the
P4? Which apps benefit from each?

Thanks
Ken K

Cache size.

Ken K wrote:

> What are the main differences between the Celeron processors and the
> P4? Which apps benefit from each?
>
> Thanks
> Ken K

Are there types of apps that benefit or suffer from one or the other?
If you have two processors, one Celeron and the other a P4, which types
of apps would show a significant difference in performance?

Thanks
KK

Walt wrote:

>Cache size.
>
>Ken K wrote:
>

>>What are the main differences between the Celeron processors and the
>>P4? Which apps benefit from each?
>>
>>Thanks
>>Ken K

Marketing. Intel has to be able to compete with the lower priced
alternatives. Price/performance is better with a celeron than a P4.

--Dan

> Are there types of apps that benefit or suffer from one or the other?
> If you have two processors, one Celeron and the other a P4, which types
> of apps would show a significant difference in performance?

All, in theory. You wont notice so much of a difference in desktop apps
(Word, Excel etc)

You do realise you can get a full AthlonXP for the same price as a celeron
dont you?

hamman

On Thu, 01 Jul 2004 16:51:01 +0000, dg wrote:

> "Ken K" <psnwREMOVE@theREMOVEkrones.com> wrote in message
>> What are the main differences between the Celeron processors and the
>> P4? Which apps benefit from each?
>>

> Marketing. Intel has to be able to compete with the lower priced
> alternatives. Price/performance is better with a celeron than a P4.

I'm not an Intel user, but the latest Celeron comparison I saw show it to
be crippled so much that it is dog slow. As an example, a 1.6 GHz AMD
duron beats a 2.6GHz Celeron. Now the just released Celeron D has some
respectable numbers.

http://www.anandtech.com/cpu/showdoc.html?i=2093&p=6

The Celeron has a smaller memory cache built into it and runs fewer
instructions per clock cycle than a P4. There is no application where a
Celeron is an advantage over a P4.

--
DaveW

On Fri, 02 Jul 2004 06:23:06 -0700, Ken K wrote:

> Well, you raise an interesting point. Frankly, I have not investigated
> using Athlon chips since I looked at them a couple of years ago and I
> saw that they ran so hot that one needed to purchase a mini-air
> conditioner in order to keep them to a reasonable temperature. I would
> not mind investigating the issue further (I have no objection to getting
> more for my money); I assume that I must learn a bit more about memory
> combinations, etc. with them. I have no desire to overclock and I
> thought that Athlon chips were popular most amongst people who wanted to
> push their systems to the limits of failure.

The heat issue, while overstated, was more with the Tbird line of cpu's.
There's been several new cores since then and it's not an issue. An $8
cooler will cool any of the AND cpu's, even overclocked. the reason they
were popular two fold. First, they were a lot cheaper than comparable
Intel cpu's and they would also overclock very well for even more value.

> So plese begin my education: what is the main difference between the
> Athlon and Intel cpu's; it is mainly the price/value ratio?

Price vs. performance.

> Which Athlon cpu's represent the best bang for the buck presently?

Not overclocking, that's hard to say, but in general, any of the ones
under $80.

> Do I have to look at memory requirements any differently?

PC3200 will work with any of them. Some will work with PC2100.

> Which chipsets are the present darlings? which motherboards?

Any of the newer chipsets should be fine, Nvidia being the favorite among
overclockers because of the PCI/AGP lock. It all depends on what you want.
Personally, I like SIS, and that's all I have now. Thye're cheap and close
to the top on perfomance. The K7S8XE+ would be a good choice with SIS.
First you need to determine how much money you want to spend. Then see
what you can get for it. If moneys not an issue, then I could suggest the
best around and you'd be happy, while maybe spending twice as much as you
needed to.:)

>Well, you raise an interesting point. Frankly, I have not investigated
using Athlon chips since I looked at >them a couple of years ago and I saw
that they ran so hot that one needed to purchase a mini-air >conditioner in
order to keep them to a reasonable temperature.

that was the tbirds and early 'palomino' core cpu's.

>I would not mind investigating the issue further (I have no objection to
getting more for my money); I >assume that I must learn a bit more about
memory combinations, etc. with them.

Match the FSB with the memory speed. All the ones avalible now above 2500+
use a 333FSB which means PC2700 ram. You hit 400FSB at 3200+ which means
PC3200.

>I have no desire to overclock and I thought that Athlon chips were popular
most amongst people who >wanted to push their systems to the limits of
failure.

Look for mobile 2500+ cpu's if youre interested in this, but they lock
standardo nes like intel now.

>So plese begin my education: what is the main difference between the
Athlon and Intel cpu's; it is mainly >the price/value ratio? Which Athlon
cpu's represent the best bang for the buck presently? Do I have to >look at
memory requirements any differently? Which chipsets are the present
darlings? which >motherboards?

Get a board with the nForce2 Ultra chipset. You wont be disappointed with
the features and sounce quality. I have a FFI Infinity nF2 Ultra, but any
one from a major brand is ok.

hamman

> If price is no object and you need the bleeding edge speed go Intel.
> If are on a budget and can tolerate a little less speed then Athalon
> is a good alternative.

Where have you been for the last ten years? That's about the last time that
Intel beat AMD in anything other than higher prices. -Dave