Copiers / printer

Last response: in Computer Peripherals
September 2, 2004 7:55:24 PM

Hello,

We (people here at the office) are looking for a brand new
professional-grade copier, that would be able to be used as a scanner and
printer as well.
We've had our eye on the Canon ImageRunner 2200, and the Sharp AR-M350...
these two copiers can be directly plugged to a networking router, which
means we can configure the printer, and use the scanner from ANY computer on
the network.
Does anyone own one of these bad boys? Pros and cons for each of them ? How
is Sharp vs. Canon in the copier market?
What about Xerox? I'm sure this company's got some very decent equipment as
well, we just haven't looked into it.

I know this question is kind of off-topic since this forum is for printers,
but this is the usenet group i found to be the best suited for answering
such a question.... Can anyone recommend to me a good website / forum /
other source on which i could get answers and info on professional-grade
copiers? Google hasn't revealed any useful source to help us figure out
which copier is best suited for our needs (excluding the companies'
respective websites, of course).

thanks

More about : copiers printer

Anonymous
September 2, 2004 8:24:07 PM

FWIW, I recommend separate units. It's not so much a quality issue, you're
probably scanning documents, not fine artwork or detailed graphic creations,
as it is usability. In an all-in-one, if one piece is down the entire unit
is down. For an office, all-in-one units are not that rugged or versatile.
At least that's my opinion. For a small home / office, these all-in-one's
are OK, but if you've got more than three users, I'd be concerned with
durability. You're also not going to get the printer throughput that a stand
alone printer can offer.

I've never done it (never needed it), but with USB connectivity, the newer
scanners should be easily sharable. You'd need one PC to control the
scanner, but that does not need to be a powerhouse. Printer sharing is easy
with most major operating systems. If you don't want to dedicate a
computer's LPT port to the connection, you can get an external Print Server,
such as HP Jet Direct, or have it part of the printer. One end goes to a
standard data jack an the other to the printer via regular printer cable.

"Zed Rafi" <zed@poloniese.com> wrote in message
> Hello,
>
> We (people here at the office) are looking for a brand new
> professional-grade copier, that would be able to be used as a scanner and
> printer as well.
> We've had our eye on the Canon ImageRunner 2200, and the Sharp AR-M350...
> these two copiers can be directly plugged to a networking router, which
> means we can configure the printer, and use the scanner from ANY computer
on
> the network.
> Does anyone own one of these bad boys? Pros and cons for each of them ?
How
> is Sharp vs. Canon in the copier market?
> What about Xerox? I'm sure this company's got some very decent equipment
as
> well, we just haven't looked into it.
>
> I know this question is kind of off-topic since this forum is for
printers,
> but this is the usenet group i found to be the best suited for answering
> such a question.... Can anyone recommend to me a good website / forum /
> other source on which i could get answers and info on professional-grade
> copiers? Google hasn't revealed any useful source to help us figure out
> which copier is best suited for our needs (excluding the companies'
> respective websites, of course).
>
> thanks

Anonymous
September 2, 2004 8:46:17 PM

In article <0t6dnU56WZv1HKrcRVn-ig@adelphia.com>,
"xDsrtRat" <xDsrtRat@sonora.com> wrote:

> FWIW, I recommend separate units. It's not so much a quality issue, you're
> probably scanning documents, not fine artwork or detailed graphic creations,
> as it is usability. In an all-in-one, if one piece is down the entire unit
> is down. For an office, all-in-one units are not that rugged or versatile.
> At least that's my opinion. For a small home / office, these all-in-one's
> are OK, but if you've got more than three users, I'd be concerned with
> durability. You're also not going to get the printer throughput that a stand
> alone printer can offer.

I was with you right up until that last sentence.

What about, for example, a Xerox Workcentre 35 isn't as fast in
printing--throughput--as a standalone printer?

That last sentence shows us that you really don't know what you're
talking about, that you're just talking to hear yourself talk.
September 3, 2004 2:33:25 AM

"Elmo P. Shagnasty" <elmop@nastydesigns.com> wrote in message
> In article <0t6dnU56WZv1HKrcRVn-ig@adelphia.com>,
> "xDsrtRat" <xDsrtRat@sonora.com> wrote:
>
> > FWIW, I recommend separate units. It's not so much a quality issue,
you're
> > probably scanning documents, not fine artwork or detailed graphic
creations,
> > as it is usability. In an all-in-one, if one piece is down the entire
unit
> > is down. For an office, all-in-one units are not that rugged or
versatile.
> > At least that's my opinion. For a small home / office, these
all-in-one's
> > are OK, but if you've got more than three users, I'd be concerned with
> > durability. You're also not going to get the printer throughput that a
stand
> > alone printer can offer.
>
> I was with you right up until that last sentence.
>
> What about, for example, a Xerox Workcentre 35 isn't as fast in
> printing--throughput--as a standalone printer?
>
> That last sentence shows us that you really don't know what you're
> talking about, that you're just talking to hear yourself talk.

Sorry, I'm not familiar with every line there is. My expeience is limited
mostly to mid range (~4800 DPI flat bed) scanners and workgroup (5 - 25
users) suitable laser printers, and mid range color printers (Epson 1520 /
2200). I admit I'm not familiar with the Xerox line. I'm glad to add to my
knowledge. Can you point me to info on the unit you mention? Maybe I could
add it to my personal knowledge base.
Anonymous
September 3, 2004 10:22:51 AM

In article <4IednUeZ0ORrSqrcRVn-qg@adelphia.com>,
"xDsrtRat" <xDsrtRat@sonora.com> wrote:

> Sorry, I'm not familiar with every line there is. My expeience is limited
> mostly to mid range (~4800 DPI flat bed) scanners and workgroup (5 - 25
> users) suitable laser printers, and mid range color printers (Epson 1520 /
> 2200). I admit I'm not familiar with the Xerox line.

It's not just the Xerox line. That was just an example. It's the
entire industry.

The entire industry is making commercial-grade 30-90ppm print engines
and putting them to a wide variety of uses in a wide range of products,
from standalone printers to digital copiers complete with scan to
file/email, network fax, and other features. Canon, Sharp, Kyocera,
Konica-Minolta, Ricoh, you name it.

Head to the web site for any office product manufacturer.
September 3, 2004 11:55:48 AM

"Zed Rafi" <zed@poloniese.com> wrote in message
> Hello,
>
> We (people here at the office) are looking for a brand new
> professional-grade copier, that would be able to be used as a scanner and
> printer as well.
> We've had our eye on the Canon ImageRunner 2200, and the Sharp AR-M350...
> these two copiers can be directly plugged to a networking router, which
> means we can configure the printer, and use the scanner from ANY computer
on
> the network.
> Does anyone own one of these bad boys? Pros and cons for each of them ?
How
> is Sharp vs. Canon in the copier market?
> What about Xerox? I'm sure this company's got some very decent equipment
as
> well, we just haven't looked into it.
>
> I know this question is kind of off-topic since this forum is for
printers,
> but this is the usenet group i found to be the best suited for answering
> such a question.... Can anyone recommend to me a good website / forum /
> other source on which i could get answers and info on professional-grade
> copiers? Google hasn't revealed any useful source to help us figure out
> which copier is best suited for our needs (excluding the companies'
> respective websites, of course).
>
> thanks

I'm getting a quote right now on a Canon 3200 (22 ppm). The feature my
users found intriguing was called "Universal Send". This allows users to
walk up to the copier and scan a document and the copier sends it to a
folder on the network. I'm supposed to get a full demo this week or the
first of next week. I'll let you know what happens.

Mark
Anonymous
September 3, 2004 4:01:48 PM

In message <QTKZc.23267$CG3.1516261@news20.bellglobal.com>, Zed Rafi
<zed@poloniese.com> writes
>Hello,
>
>We (people here at the office) are looking for a brand new
>professional-grade copier, that would be able to be used as a scanner and
>printer as well.
>We've had our eye on the Canon ImageRunner 2200, and the Sharp AR-M350...
>these two copiers can be directly plugged to a networking router, which
>means we can configure the printer, and use the scanner from ANY computer on
>the network.
>Does anyone own one of these bad boys? Pros and cons for each of them ? How
>is Sharp vs. Canon in the copier market?
>What about Xerox? I'm sure this company's got some very decent equipment as
>well, we just haven't looked into it.
>
>I know this question is kind of off-topic since this forum is for printers,
>but this is the usenet group i found to be the best suited for answering
>such a question.... Can anyone recommend to me a good website / forum /
>other source on which i could get answers and info on professional-grade
>copiers? Google hasn't revealed any useful source to help us figure out
>which copier is best suited for our needs (excluding the companies'
>respective websites, of course).

Have you looked at Kyocera as well, they have some pretty sturdy looking
machines that would do the job.

--
Timothy Lee http://www.wightproperty.com
tlatwightpropertydotcom

For what it's worth, I have some experience with the Minolta range of
copier/printers - the more expensive commercial models which are
typically leased from office equipment dealers. Many of the commercial
"industrial strength - so to speak" copiers are now actually
scanner/laser printers. Our Minolta was a fax/scanner/network printer.
When used as a copier, the unit would scan the document very quickly,
and then print. At first, the print (or copy) speed didn't seem as fast
as our previous dedicated copy machine, but it was not the case. The
PPM rate was the same. The auto-duplexer worked much better than the
one on the prvevious dedicated copier. And, the fax machine with auto
document feeder was far superior to our old Canon commercial fax
machine. All in all, a really fine piece of equipment.

Don
!