Pocket PC upgrades / Changing Language

August 12, 2004 12:37:09 AM

Hi!
I've bought a pocket pc 2002 StrongARM from a brazilian manufacter
(http://www.itautecshop.com.br/)
The OS Language is Portuguese (Brazilian) but I want to change it to English
Needless to say that their support is inexistent.

So I want to know how can I upgrade my OS no English and to know How can I
upgrade this to 2003 (If possible at all!).

Do the upgrades erase the PPC ROM?
Does a "hard reset" allways return the system to the factory defaults? Can I
make some experiences knowing that I can allways return to the factory
settings, or is a bad upgrade irreversible?

Thanks in advance!

pedro.casalinho@casalinho.dynu.com
(from Portugal)
August 12, 2004 12:37:10 AM

Qual modelo da Itautec?

"KristeK" <pedro.casalinho@casalinho.dynu.com> escreveu na mensagem
> Hi!
> I've bought a pocket pc 2002 StrongARM from a brazilian manufacter
> (http://www.itautecshop.com.br/)
> The OS Language is Portuguese (Brazilian) but I want to change it to
English
> Needless to say that their support is inexistent.
>
> So I want to know how can I upgrade my OS no English and to know How can I
> upgrade this to 2003 (If possible at all!).
>
> Do the upgrades erase the PPC ROM?
> Does a "hard reset" allways return the system to the factory defaults? Can
> make some experiences knowing that I can allways return to the factory
> settings, or is a bad upgrade irreversible?
>
> Thanks in advance!
>
> pedro.casalinho@casalinho.dynu.com
> (from Portugal)

August 12, 2004 2:13:47 AM

Kriste

Unless the manufacturer provides a English version of the ROM, you are out
of luck. Many people wrote to this group stuck with a Chinese PPC or
Japanese PPC for the same reason.

JL

"KristeK" <pedro.casalinho@casalinho.dynu.com> wrote in message
> Hi!
> I've bought a pocket pc 2002 StrongARM from a brazilian manufacter
> (http://www.itautecshop.com.br/)
> The OS Language is Portuguese (Brazilian) but I want to change it to
English
> Needless to say that their support is inexistent.
>
> So I want to know how can I upgrade my OS no English and to know How can I
> upgrade this to 2003 (If possible at all!).
>
> Do the upgrades erase the PPC ROM?
> Does a "hard reset" allways return the system to the factory defaults? Can
> make some experiences knowing that I can allways return to the factory
> settings, or is a bad upgrade irreversible?
>
> Thanks in advance!
>
> pedro.casalinho@casalinho.dynu.com
> (from Portugal)

Anonymous
August 12, 2004 2:10:52 PM

Hi.

I don't know how upgrade to 2003 but i want to tell u something. Before
installing a new OS, you must be sure to backup your old OS. Because, may be
you need it again in future. One way (if 2003 doesn't do that for you) go to
handhelds.com and download BootBlaster_1.18.exe . This program will help you
to backup your old Win CE.

new operating system most probably will erase Flash Rom and write itself..
Hard reset won't set factory settings again.

I can guess these things because three days ago, i tried to install Linux to
my pocket pc just to learn how's pocket Linux.

!