Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

FastTrack RAID 0 from XP to 7 PRO w/o Data Loss

Last response: in Windows 7
Share
February 28, 2011 7:22:22 PM

My XP system died and I want to migrate my two RAID 0 drives (with data, incl XP) to my new Windows 7 PRO system. Does anyone know how to do this? If I set the BIOS to RAID instead of ACHI, 7 PRO recognizes and reports that the Promise Raid 0 Array is synchronizing. But, the system will only boot to a DVD repair disk, and not to the single hard drive.
February 28, 2011 8:01:22 PM

Galajerson said:
My XP system died and I want to migrate my two RAID 0 drives (with data, incl XP) to my new Windows 7 PRO system. Does anyone know how to do this? If I set the BIOS to RAID instead of ACHI, 7 PRO recognizes and reports that the Promise Raid 0 Array is synchronizing. But, the system will only boot to a DVD repair disk, and not to the single hard drive.


(I don't need to keep XP on the RAID drives.) Does anyone know how to move a RAID array to a new Windows 7 PRO 64 bit system?
February 28, 2011 8:58:37 PM

You can't. Best bet is to slap a third non raid disk into old PC. Do a base load windows 7 don't eneter key you can use for 60 days without key. Then open the raid disk up should still be working hopefully. If it does not have drive letter give it one then hook up external drive and copy all data you need off... Easiest way I know of you will not be able to move two drives to another computer and keep raid unless almost exact same board/ controller for raid. Even then sketchy.

Thently
Related resources
February 28, 2011 9:20:32 PM

thently said:
You can't. Best bet is to slap a third non raid disk into old PC. Do a base load windows 7 don't eneter key you can use for 60 days without key. Then open the raid disk up should still be working hopefully. If it does not have drive letter give it one then hook up external drive and copy all data you need off... Easiest way I know of you will not be able to move two drives to another computer and keep raid unless almost exact same board/ controller for raid. Even then sketchy.

Thently


The old Promise PDC20378 controller is on an Asus A8V Deluxe. The cpu in the old system ist kapoot and ran XP Pro. To install Win7 would be a whole new career, I think. I don't understand why 7 pro 64 recognizes the "Promise raid 0" array but won't let the other AHCI disk boot. Weird.

Thanks, anyway. I Appreciate your response.
March 1, 2011 12:12:50 AM

Galajerson said:
The old Promise PDC20378 controller is on an Asus A8V Deluxe. The cpu in the old system ist kapoot and ran XP Pro. To install Win7 would be a whole new career, I think. I don't understand why 7 pro 64 recognizes the "Promise raid 0" array but won't let the other AHCI disk boot. Weird.

Thanks, anyway. I Appreciate your response.


I ran into the same problem with my A8V Deluxe. Win 7 does not support the Promise controller, and there is no driver available for it :(  .
Had to pick up a pci sata controller for my machine.
Hope this helps!
March 1, 2011 12:32:23 AM

noobtastical said:
I ran into the same problem with my A8V Deluxe. Win 7 does not support the Promise controller, and there is no driver available for it :(  .
Had to pick up a pci sata controller for my machine.
Hope this helps!


Ohhh the pain. Were you able to save the data on your RAID drives after you installed the pci controller card? Or, did you have to reformat?

Thanks, noobtastical.
March 1, 2011 1:05:47 AM

Galajerson said:
Ohhh the pain. Were you able to save the data on your RAID drives after you installed the pci controller card? Or, did you have to reformat?

Thanks, noobtastical.



Fortunately for me I was very lucky and had performed a Macrium Reflect disk image to an external drive recently just in case. So I had a complete backup to work with.
Only thing I can think of is to see if you can get a hold of a cheap(or friends ;)  ) socket 939 cpu for your old board that you can use temporarily to boot the machine up under XP and perform a backup of the files you need. Worst case is you have to do an XP "repair" to the installation so you can boot it back up.
Would this be at all possible :??:  ?

Good luck!!
March 1, 2011 1:17:07 AM

Unfortunately for me, my backup didn't back up the files I need now :/  I think my board is okay, although I did smell electrical burn. If I can find a CPU for that board, I might be able to make it work. The CPU was an AMD Athlon 3500+ 64. Maybe I could find one fairly cheap. I'm going to give it a try. Thanks for the suggestion!
!