Rack Chassis Brackets

Hello,

I would like to build my own rack server cage, and was wondering if anyone
knew what type of L-brackets I should use. I need to find the L-brackets
that you find on the left and right sides of a cage (with the pre-drilled
holes) which the chassis bolt into. If I could locate someplace that sells
them, I could cut them to the right sizes, and weld them together.

Any ideas where to find them?

TIA
Steve

More about rack chassis brackets

    In article <40e62271$1_2@127.0.0.1>, Steve <wormuth@hotmail.com> wrote:
    >Hello,
    >
    >I would like to build my own rack server cage, and was wondering if anyone
    >knew what type of L-brackets I should use. I need to find the L-brackets
    >that you find on the left and right sides of a cage (with the pre-drilled
    >holes) which the chassis bolt into. If I could locate someplace that sells
    >them, I could cut them to the right sizes, and weld them together.
    >
    >Any ideas where to find them?
    >
    >TIA
    >Steve

    I think you are asking for what I call "rails". Any of the major
    makers of equipment racks sell the raiils, but they are a minor item
    in the back of the catalog.

    Google Chatsworth, Bud, Acro. Lots of companies make
    this stuff.

    The full enclosure cabinets for mainframe and minicomputers frequently
    have rails inside that can be used. I know equipment made by DEC and
    Compaq do. These days empty cabinets are tossed in the dumpster and
    are a good source.

    Another source, that's much easier to come by, e is the U-channel
    rails from a "2-Post" rack. See

    http://www.chatsworth.com/main.asp?id=25

    The rack costs about $150. I recommend getting one that's drilled and
    threaded on both sides of the channel. Some aren't. (Some aren't
    threaded at all, and use what are called cage nuts which have to be
    bought seperatly)

    The aluminum is soft enough to cut with a hacksaw, or if you want to
    reduce the U channel to a L strip, can be cut on a table saw with the
    proper blade.

    --
    Al Dykes
    -----------

    Al Dykes wrote:

    > In article <40e62271$1_2@127.0.0.1>, Steve <wormuth@hotmail.com> wrote:
    >
    >>Hello,
    >>
    >>I would like to build my own rack server cage, and was wondering if anyone
    >>knew what type of L-brackets I should use. I need to find the L-brackets
    >>that you find on the left and right sides of a cage (with the pre-drilled
    >>holes) which the chassis bolt into. If I could locate someplace that sells
    >>them, I could cut them to the right sizes, and weld them together.
    >>
    >>Any ideas where to find them?
    >>
    >>TIA
    >>Steve
    >

    > I think you are asking for what I call "rails". Any of the major
    > makers of equipment racks sell the raiils, but they are a minor item
    > in the back of the catalog.

    We recently rack-mounted all our kit at work. Some of our servers were
    free-standing, some were designed to go in a rack but we had no rails.

    The rails are pretty expensive. The rack mount kits for standalone
    servers are _incredably_ expensive. In the end we ended up buying some
    shelves for the free standing servers...

    --
    Paul

Homebuilt Systems