Whining noise when CPU is at full throttle

scotoma

Distinguished
May 26, 2002

Hi all

Another whining noise :)
System is (until I get my Apogee back from Chaintech RMA dept, they're
enabling the 166FSB function for free, heehee, might even get a new board):
AthlonXP 3000+, 512DDR 333MHz RAM, Gigabyte GA7VA Mobo, 80Gig Maxtor ATA133
HD, nVidia GeForce 5200FX 128MB generic 8x AGP. 300W PSU. Windows XP Pro
SP1a, fully updated as are all the drivers.
The whining noise occurs while the CPU is at full throttle. The sound comes
from within the case.
The AthlonXP 3000+ is new as is the RAM.

Before I go taking it apart again, any ideas?

Scotoma

Scotoma wrote:
> Hi all
>
> Another whining noise :)
> System is (until I get my Apogee back from Chaintech RMA dept, they're
> enabling the 166FSB function for free, heehee, might even get a new board):
> AthlonXP 3000+, 512DDR 333MHz RAM, Gigabyte GA7VA Mobo, 80Gig Maxtor ATA133
> HD, nVidia GeForce 5200FX 128MB generic 8x AGP. 300W PSU. Windows XP Pro
> SP1a, fully updated as are all the drivers.
> The whining noise occurs while the CPU is at full throttle. The sound comes
> from within the case.
> The AthlonXP 3000+ is new as is the RAM.
>
> Before I go taking it apart again, any ideas?
>
> Scotoma

It could either be the CPU heatsink fan, or the northbridge fan. Can
you run with the case open and listen more closely?

In either case, it's probably just a cheap fan (not necessarily an
ineffective one), and if it bothers you, you can replace it.

ken

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2004

On Sun, 04 Jul 2004 04:03:59 -0400, David Besack
<daveREMOVEbesack@mac.com> wrote:

> > Another whining noise :)
> > System is (until I get my Apogee back from Chaintech RMA dept, they're
> > enabling the 166FSB function for free, heehee, might even get a new board):
> > AthlonXP 3000+, 512DDR 333MHz RAM, Gigabyte GA7VA Mobo, 80Gig Maxtor ATA133
> > HD, nVidia GeForce 5200FX 128MB generic 8x AGP. 300W PSU. Windows XP Pro
> > SP1a, fully updated as are all the drivers.
> > The whining noise occurs while the CPU is at full throttle. The sound comes
> > from within the case.
> > The AthlonXP 3000+ is new as is the RAM.
> >
> > Before I go taking it apart again, any ideas?
> >
> > Scotoma
>
> It could either be the CPU heatsink fan, or the northbridge fan. Can
> you run with the case open and listen more closely?
>
> In either case, it's probably just a cheap fan (not necessarily an
> ineffective one), and if it bothers you, you can replace it.

Or lube it.
http://w1.857.telia.com/~u85710476/docs/image/example/fan01.jpg
http://w1.857.telia.com/~u85710476/docs/image/example/fan02.jpg

spencer

Hi,

I have the same thing happen to my MSI 865PE/neo 2 Mobo.
Its the chipset fan. if you are overclocking the Mobo this will speed up the
fan when it gets hot.

Apart from being a little anoying at times it shows that its working the way
it should.

Spencer
"Ken" <___ken3@telia.com> wrote in message
> On Sun, 04 Jul 2004 04:03:59 -0400, David Besack
> <daveREMOVEbesack@mac.com> wrote:
>
> > > Another whining noise :)
> > > System is (until I get my Apogee back from Chaintech RMA dept, they're
> > > enabling the 166FSB function for free, heehee, might even get a new
board):
> > > AthlonXP 3000+, 512DDR 333MHz RAM, Gigabyte GA7VA Mobo, 80Gig Maxtor
ATA133
> > > HD, nVidia GeForce 5200FX 128MB generic 8x AGP. 300W PSU. Windows XP
Pro
> > > SP1a, fully updated as are all the drivers.
> > > The whining noise occurs while the CPU is at full throttle. The sound
comes
> > > from within the case.
> > > The AthlonXP 3000+ is new as is the RAM.
> > >
> > > Before I go taking it apart again, any ideas?
> > >
> > > Scotoma
> >
> > It could either be the CPU heatsink fan, or the northbridge fan. Can
> > you run with the case open and listen more closely?
> >
> > In either case, it's probably just a cheap fan (not necessarily an
> > ineffective one), and if it bothers you, you can replace it.
>
> Or lube it.
> http://w1.857.telia.com/~u85710476/docs/image/example/fan01.jpg
> http://w1.857.telia.com/~u85710476/docs/image/example/fan02.jpg

Probably a cheap sleeve bearing fan whici is gonna die.
Open the case. With a plastic pencil, slighly touch the __middle__ of the
fan in order to decrease the speed and/or to modify the clearances. Should
the whining noise disappear, replace the fan.

"Scotoma" <me@play.co.uk> a écrit dans le message news:
I6HFc.12894$eK2.988@fe1.news.blueyonder.co.uk...
> Hi all
>
> Another whining noise :)
> System is (until I get my Apogee back from Chaintech RMA dept, they're
> enabling the 166FSB function for free, heehee, might even get a new
board):
> AthlonXP 3000+, 512DDR 333MHz RAM, Gigabyte GA7VA Mobo, 80Gig Maxtor
ATA133
> HD, nVidia GeForce 5200FX 128MB generic 8x AGP. 300W PSU. Windows XP Pro
> SP1a, fully updated as are all the drivers.
> The whining noise occurs while the CPU is at full throttle. The sound
comes
> from within the case.
> The AthlonXP 3000+ is new as is the RAM.
>
> Before I go taking it apart again, any ideas?
>
> Scotoma

scotoma

Distinguished
May 26, 2002

Hi all

Thank you all for your replies and suggestions. I have noted them for future
reference. :)
I swapped the 300W PSU with a 400W PSU. The whine is now seems to be a lot
quieter. A late night test when the ambient sounds are at their quietest
will be better.

Thanks again :)

Scotoma