Front USB ports

Last response: in Systems
a b B Homebuilt system
July 4, 2004 3:11:31 PM

Built my computer a little over a year ago with and AMD Athlon 2200+ on an
Asus A7V333-X motherboard.

My case has 2 USB ports in the back and 2 in the front. Ever since I've
built the computer the front ports will work sometimes. I've only used the
front plugs for a digital camera that I purchased (Fuji Finepix 3800). The
problem is when I plug the camera into the front ports (doesn't matter which
one) there is a 50-50 chance it will recognize that there is something
plugged in. When I pull the plug out and try it again it may work it may
not ... I try to plug in the USB cable a couple of times and eventually it
will recognize that something is in there.

The camera always makes beeping sounds saying that it is plugged in (when I
plug in the USB cable, regardless if the computer picks it up or not), and
beeps again when I pull the cable out. I tried reinstalling the drivers for
the camera but same thing. I've tried plugging in an external ZIP drive and
same thing (using two different USB cables). The rear ports work perfectly,
but that defeats the purpose of having two front ports for the use of my ZIP
drive and digital camera (for convenience).

Anyone know what may be wrong .. maybe its the motherboard? I've seen many
front USB ports act up like this, even on computers at stores when I take a
USB key to get it stuff printed.

I've tried getting in touch with Asus but they don't seem to like to respond
and their website mentions nothing.

Thanks in advanced.

--
To reply, remove: "No" and "Spam" from email address

More about : front usb ports

July 4, 2004 3:11:32 PM

check to make sure the header connector is on solidly. Have you
checked the asus site for a driver update? On some cases the front
panels were an after thought, so the holes and connectors don't line
up exactly or the plastic is too thick preventing a solid connection.

"Devang Devani" <devangNodevaniSpam@sympatico.ca> wrote in message
> Built my computer a little over a year ago with and AMD Athlon 2200+
on an
> Asus A7V333-X motherboard.
>
> My case has 2 USB ports in the back and 2 in the front. Ever since
I've
> built the computer the front ports will work sometimes. I've only
used the
> front plugs for a digital camera that I purchased (Fuji Finepix
3800). The
> problem is when I plug the camera into the front ports (doesn't
matter which
> one) there is a 50-50 chance it will recognize that there is
something
> plugged in. When I pull the plug out and try it again it may work
it may
> not ... I try to plug in the USB cable a couple of times and
eventually it
> will recognize that something is in there.
>
> The camera always makes beeping sounds saying that it is plugged in
(when I
> plug in the USB cable, regardless if the computer picks it up or
not), and
> beeps again when I pull the cable out. I tried reinstalling the
drivers for
> the camera but same thing. I've tried plugging in an external ZIP
drive and
> same thing (using two different USB cables). The rear ports work
perfectly,
> but that defeats the purpose of having two front ports for the use
of my ZIP
> drive and digital camera (for convenience).
>
> Anyone know what may be wrong .. maybe its the motherboard? I've
seen many
> front USB ports act up like this, even on computers at stores when I
take a
> USB key to get it stuff printed.
>
> I've tried getting in touch with Asus but they don't seem to like to
respond
> and their website mentions nothing.
>
> Thanks in advanced.
>
> --
> To reply, remove: "No" and "Spam" from email address

Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
July 5, 2004 4:13:17 PM

Double and triple check your wiring harness to mainboard connections
especially if they are single wires you have to connect. Check in the
computer bios to see if you may have a option for usb1.1/2.0 compatibility
and enable it. Check to see if you have assigned a irq for your usb while
you are in there too. You may also want to check if your bios is up to date
and also if there may be issues with the front port onboard connections. One
other thing off the top of my bean is to check if you are running winxp(or
any other os for that matter) and sp1. There are supplements out there that
address usb issues direct from microsoft. Check for usb driver updates.

Regards, BoB "hopelessly insane machine warrior" Troll

"Devang Devani" <devangNodevaniSpam@sympatico.ca> wrote in message
> Built my computer a little over a year ago with and AMD Athlon 2200+ on an
> Asus A7V333-X motherboard.
>
> My case has 2 USB ports in the back and 2 in the front. Ever since I've
> built the computer the front ports will work sometimes. I've only used
the
> front plugs for a digital camera that I purchased (Fuji Finepix 3800). The
> problem is when I plug the camera into the front ports (doesn't matter
which
> one) there is a 50-50 chance it will recognize that there is something
> plugged in. When I pull the plug out and try it again it may work it may
> not ... I try to plug in the USB cable a couple of times and eventually it
> will recognize that something is in there.
>
> The camera always makes beeping sounds saying that it is plugged in (when
> plug in the USB cable, regardless if the computer picks it up or not), and
> beeps again when I pull the cable out. I tried reinstalling the drivers
for
> the camera but same thing. I've tried plugging in an external ZIP drive
and
> same thing (using two different USB cables). The rear ports work
perfectly,
> but that defeats the purpose of having two front ports for the use of my
ZIP
> drive and digital camera (for convenience).
>
> Anyone know what may be wrong .. maybe its the motherboard? I've seen
many
> front USB ports act up like this, even on computers at stores when I take
> USB key to get it stuff printed.
>
> I've tried getting in touch with Asus but they don't seem to like to
respond
> and their website mentions nothing.
>
> Thanks in advanced.
>
> --
> To reply, remove: "No" and "Spam" from email address

Related resources
July 5, 2004 6:35:50 PM

On Sun, 4 Jul 2004 11:11:31 -0400, "Devang Devani"
<devangNodevaniSpam@sympatico.ca> wrote:

>Built my computer a little over a year ago with and AMD Athlon 2200+ on an
>Asus A7V333-X motherboard.
>
>My case has 2 USB ports in the back and 2 in the front. Ever since I've
>built the computer the front ports will work sometimes. I've only used the
>front plugs for a digital camera that I purchased (Fuji Finepix 3800). The
>problem is when I plug the camera into the front ports (doesn't matter which
>one) there is a 50-50 chance it will recognize that there is something
>plugged in. When I pull the plug out and try it again it may work it may
>not ... I try to plug in the USB cable a couple of times and eventually it
>will recognize that something is in there.
>
>The camera always makes beeping sounds saying that it is plugged in (when I
>plug in the USB cable, regardless if the computer picks it up or not), and
>beeps again when I pull the cable out. I tried reinstalling the drivers for
>the camera but same thing. I've tried plugging in an external ZIP drive and
>same thing (using two different USB cables). The rear ports work perfectly,
>but that defeats the purpose of having two front ports for the use of my ZIP
>drive and digital camera (for convenience).
>
>Anyone know what may be wrong .. maybe its the motherboard? I've seen many
>front USB ports act up like this, even on computers at stores when I take a
>USB key to get it stuff printed.
>
>I've tried getting in touch with Asus but they don't seem to like to respond
>and their website mentions nothing.
>
>Thanks in advanced.

I have the A7V333-X and a XP2000.

The front ports have always been fine for me. I connect my USB Key to
it alot.

FYI I have
the latest 1004 bios
Windows XP Pro SP1
I have the 4.45 version of the VIA 4in1 drived loaded too. These are
the one that seem most stable for my setup.
The case connectors for the front panel has two 4-holed connectors. I
plugged them in and that was it.

HTH

Harry
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
May 15, 2005 6:27:55 PM

Before you go crazy, it could be something as simple as the physical
connection. My front USB ports do exactly the same thing, and it's due
to the fact that the plastic moulding of the case sometimes keeps the
USB connector from seating properly. If I apply a little lateral
pressure it'll ultimately connect.

If you want to troubleshoot this theory, open your case, take off the
front panel, and remove the USB port card from the front of the case.
Leave it wired to your motherboard of course. Try connecting devices
to the USB port now that the case is not part of the equation. If you
get consistently good connections then you know the case is physically
interfering with your USB connection.

--
legacy_programmer
Anonymous

I lost the original post so I'll reply to this one.

I had a simialr problem recently. Check the the plug that connects the
front USB post to the motherbaord header. One of the wires on mine
hadn't been crimped into the plug connector properly and the connection
was intermittent. Some devices worked fine (like my camera and modem)
but my flash drive wouldn't work at all. Check that out.

matt

legacy_programmer <legacy_programmer.1p2x7n@news.computerbanter.com>

!