Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Slow internet connection when using Bluetooth Activesync

Last response: in Cell Phones & Smartphones
Share
Anonymous
August 12, 2004 1:05:34 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc (More info?)

Hi all,

I have installed XP SP2 and am using the SP2 bluetooth stack for my Belkin
USB bluetooth adapter. I have to use activesync via bluetooth at home (and
the cradle at work) and all seemed fine after a bit of work to get it
configured, except for the fact my internet connection grinds to a halt?

Not too much of a problem, except for Avantgo which now just hangs. It
dosen't stop completely, just VERY slow - so it updates eventually but for a
small avantgo account, sub-300K, can take about 15 minutes. IE pages tend to
time-out as well in the meantime and browsing is pretty much impossible.
Close the bluetooth connection and all back to normal? I have a 512K ADSL
line that has worked without any other problems, including cradled avantgo
syncs.

As there is some traffic I can't see how this could be the SP2 firewall? The
PC has an incoming connection for COM6 and the ipaq has outbound COM6 and
inbound COM8?

Could this be the bluetooth stack or something I've totally overlooked? I've
not tried this with the native Belkin drivers as they installed much more
than I needed but may have to go back to these?

Any help much appreciated!
Anonymous
August 12, 2004 1:25:10 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc (More info?)

Remember that ActiveSync is probably using the bandwidth to keep things in
sync on your Pocket PC.

Try changing the settings so Activesync is only active on connection. This
should save a little bit.

--
Mauricio Freitas, Microsoft MVP Mobile Devices
Bluetooth guides: http://www.geekzone.co.nz/content.asp?contentid=449
Performance Centre (Pocket PC reviews):
http://www.geekzone.co.nz/content.asp?ContentId=2028
Handango discount: http://www.geekzone.co.nz/handango_code.asp


"Ian Cottrell" <ianmcottrell@btinternet.com> wrote in message
news:cfe1mu$6a8$2@sparta.btinternet.com...
> Hi all,
>
> I have installed XP SP2 and am using the SP2 bluetooth stack for my Belkin
> USB bluetooth adapter. I have to use activesync via bluetooth at home (and
> the cradle at work) and all seemed fine after a bit of work to get it
> configured, except for the fact my internet connection grinds to a halt?
>
> Not too much of a problem, except for Avantgo which now just hangs. It
> dosen't stop completely, just VERY slow - so it updates eventually but for
a
> small avantgo account, sub-300K, can take about 15 minutes. IE pages tend
to
> time-out as well in the meantime and browsing is pretty much impossible.
> Close the bluetooth connection and all back to normal? I have a 512K ADSL
> line that has worked without any other problems, including cradled avantgo
> syncs.
>
> As there is some traffic I can't see how this could be the SP2 firewall?
The
> PC has an incoming connection for COM6 and the ipaq has outbound COM6 and
> inbound COM8?
>
> Could this be the bluetooth stack or something I've totally overlooked?
I've
> not tried this with the native Belkin drivers as they installed much more
> than I needed but may have to go back to these?
>
> Any help much appreciated!
>
>
>
>
>
Anonymous
August 13, 2004 4:12:04 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc (More info?)

"Mauricio Freitas [MVP]" <dr.emailposter@nowhere.invalid> wrote in message news:<ee2YJm#fEHA.3928@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl>...
> Remember that ActiveSync is probably using the bandwidth to keep things in
> sync on your Pocket PC.
>
> Try changing the settings so Activesync is only active on connection. This
> should save a little bit.
>
> --
> Mauricio Freitas, Microsoft MVP Mobile Devices
> Bluetooth guides: http://www.geekzone.co.nz/content.asp?contentid=449
> Performance Centre (Pocket PC reviews):
> http://www.geekzone.co.nz/content.asp?ContentId=2028
> Handango discount: http://www.geekzone.co.nz/handango_code.asp
>
>
> "Ian Cottrell" <ianmcottrell@btinternet.com> wrote in message
> news:cfe1mu$6a8$2@sparta.btinternet.com...
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I have installed XP SP2 and am using the SP2 bluetooth stack for my Belkin
> > USB bluetooth adapter. I have to use activesync via bluetooth at home (and
> > the cradle at work) and all seemed fine after a bit of work to get it
> > configured, except for the fact my internet connection grinds to a halt?
> >
> > Not too much of a problem, except for Avantgo which now just hangs. It
> > dosen't stop completely, just VERY slow - so it updates eventually but for
> a
> > small avantgo account, sub-300K, can take about 15 minutes. IE pages tend
> to
> > time-out as well in the meantime and browsing is pretty much impossible.
> > Close the bluetooth connection and all back to normal? I have a 512K ADSL
> > line that has worked without any other problems, including cradled avantgo
> > syncs.
> >
> > As there is some traffic I can't see how this could be the SP2 firewall?
> The
> > PC has an incoming connection for COM6 and the ipaq has outbound COM6 and
> > inbound COM8?
> >
> > Could this be the bluetooth stack or something I've totally overlooked?
> I've
> > not tried this with the native Belkin drivers as they installed much more
> > than I needed but may have to go back to these?
> >
> > Any help much appreciated!
> >
> >
> >
> >
> >

Thanks for this- I'll give it a try but don't understand what bandwidth you
mean?

I've got a 3.4GHz p4 with a gig of RAM and 512K broadband. I have no such
problems when synching in the cradle at work on an old P3 lap-top (which is
usually already running half a dozen apps or more) - the synch just takes
seconds and I can happily browse at the same time. Hence why I'm suspecting
bluetooth is the cuplrit here, or at least SP2?

thanks again,

Ian
Anonymous
August 14, 2004 4:02:21 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc (More info?)

"Ian Cottrell" <ian.cottrell@itv.com> wrote in message
news:c000d7f5.0408131112.7b45d70a@posting.google.com...
> Thanks for this- I'll give it a try but don't understand what bandwidth
you
> mean?
>
> I've got a 3.4GHz p4 with a gig of RAM and 512K broadband. I have no such
> problems when synching in the cradle at work on an old P3 lap-top (which
is
> usually already running half a dozen apps or more) - the synch just takes
> seconds and I can happily browse at the same time. Hence why I'm
suspecting
> bluetooth is the cuplrit here, or at least SP2?
>
> thanks again,
>
> Ian

When you use the ActiveSync by default it'll keep an eye on both the Pocket
PC and computer, looking for differences. I think it will keep some
communication between them going on. The software seems to add an overhead.
So if you connect using Bluetooth PAN or LAP, you'll have a faster
connection than connecting to ActiveSync via Bluetooth and then accessing
the Internet from this connection.

Remember, Bluetooth is capable of doing up to 721kbps, so it's more than
your Internet connection. However, the way software is configured,
ActiveSync is probably only using 115kbps for this communication.

--
Mauricio Freitas, Microsoft MVP Mobile Devices
Bluetooth guides: http://www.geekzone.co.nz/content.asp?contentid=449
Performance Centre (Pocket PC reviews):
http://www.geekzone.co.nz/content.asp?ContentId=2028
Handango discount: http://www.geekzone.co.nz/handango_code.asp
!